Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 02:27 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Do some reading before you respond

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage.
This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relation with Negroes, entertainers and any others."

-Harry Anslinger
Narcotics Commissioner of the United States
Marihuana Tax Act, signed Aug. 2, 1937

And figure out what logical fallacy means. I am only saying that the whole debate should actually be held again without the racism and profiteering motives that originally pushed for its ban. That is not a logical fallacy Your previous post is.

Laws made under false pretenses should absolutely be revisited..... They don't reflect the will of the people but rather the biased few that lie and cheat to justify their ends.
Again, as I illustrated, the fallacy is the belief that the motives for a principle or law necessarily invalidate the principle or law. To illustrate yet another time, let's say that zoning laws were actually born as a means to prevent black people from living in most areas of major cities. Using your logic, that would mean we should abandon zoning laws. After all the motives of the creators were malevolent. As I suspect you now realize, the legitimacy of laws does not rest upon the motives of the designers but rather upon the effects - do they protect order, do they represent undue burdens on the populace, do they violate enshrined individual protections, et cetera.

Now, if you can demonstrate that drug laws violate equal protection for blacks or their due process rights, you'll have something, but that's entirely different than the\ argument that the motives in creation of a law necessarily invalidate the law at a later time.

BTW, just to head off another irrational point, disparities by race in prosecution do not equal the violations I mention above. You need to demonstrate much more than that to establish that modern drug laws target particular racial groups.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:30 PM

25,775 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Of course the dropout rate lessens. They are sitting in the classroom, high as a kite, in another world, getting absolutely nothing from that calculus class. The instructor may as well be lecturing teddy bears.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:31 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
Now, if you can demonstrate that drug laws violate equal protection for blacks or their due process rights, you'll have something, but that's entirely different than the\ argument that the motives in creation of a law necessarily invalidate the law at a later time.

BTW, just to head off another irrational point, disparities by race in prosecution do not equal the violations I mention above. You need to demonstrate much more than that to establish that modern drug laws target particular racial groups.
You could learn so much from the following documentary, but I know you won't, even if you FORCED yourself to watch it. You would never watch it on your own, because you believe you know everything there is to know about our drug laws and their unevenly applied effects on this country:

The House I Live In | America's War on Drugs | Independent Lens | PBS

Quote:
For the past 40 years, the war on drugs has resulted in more than 45 million arrests, $1 trillion dollars in government spending, and America’s role as the world’s largest jailer. Yet for all that, drugs are cheaper, purer, and more available than ever. Filmed in more than twenty states, The House I Live In captures heart-wrenching stories of those on the front lines — from the dealer to the grieving mother, the narcotics officer to the senator, the inmate to the federal judge — and offers a penetrating look at the profound human rights implications of America’s longest war.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:36 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I sometimes post on the very bad impact of drug legalization, such as increased car crashes and ED visits. I was talking to a friend in the medical field and she mentioned the massive increase in drop out rates in states that legalized drugs. I had not heard of this (media blackout?) but I did some research and found it to be true:

https://www.evms.edu/about_evms/admi...opout-rate.php

We agreed to let states set marijuana policy for a few years without federal interference because we want to use states as laboratories and get some data. The data are in and they stink. I don’t know how any parent in America can support this based on the above study and all the negative impact we are seeing as a result of legalization. The experiment has failed. Time to lock American’s dangerous drugs back in the cabinet.
So. What.

Who. Cares.

Someone dropping out is of no concern to me, their choice, and their choice should not impact someone's else's choice.

I do not even smoke the stuff, never plan to, and I find these types of arguments absurd.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:39 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
How about this. Correlation does not equal causation. Could it be that dropouts were already predisposed to try drugs in the first place?

Old 10-28-2018, 02:49 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I sometimes post on the very bad impact of drug legalization, such as increased car crashes and ED visits. I was talking to a friend in the medical field and she mentioned the massive increase in drop out rates in states that legalized drugs. I had not heard of this (media blackout?) but I did some research and found it to be true:

https://www.evms.edu/about_evms/admi...opout-rate.php

We agreed to let states set marijuana policy for a few years without federal interference because we want to use states as laboratories and get some data. The data are in and they stink. I don’t know how any parent in America can support this based on the above study and all the negative impact we are seeing as a result of legalization. The experiment has failed. Time to lock American’s dangerous drugs back in the cabinet.
I disagree. Let the weak herd themselves out.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:50 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You say the same thing when pot users post some piece of dubious science to rationalize their drug use here, right?
Pot smokers don’t smoke for the health benefits.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:51 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,971,833 times
Where are these underage kids getting their “legal” pot?

Old 10-28-2018, 02:55 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,955,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Anyone can find a study to support any claim if you look hard enough. Studies contractic studies and studies are often funded by special interest groups conducted with a bias.
This.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:57 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Where are these underage kids getting their “legal” pot?
Same way kids get alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies