Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 12:15 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,612,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Also, the laws’ impact doesn’t seem to be limited to high school. “Our study suggests that the passage of medical-marijuana laws could have led to 5.9 percent fewer high-school graduates going on to college,” Dr. Plunk says. “And of those students who began college, these laws also could have led to 1.9 percent fewer of them completing a college degree. This represents an enormous unintended consequence for America’s youth.”

This study led to many possibilities, but few conclusions.
I would bet this 'study' was funded by some law enforcement agency or drug cartels.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:16 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I stipulated "under medical supervision." Now, should we encourage marijuana use, under supervision, so that they may enjoy all these health benefits from marijuana?
Sure, if there is a medical condition that would benefit from it's use.

I'm not sure "encourage" would be the right word though. I wouldn't encourage use of anything medicinal, that is pro-active. Medical treatment is reactive, a problem occurs, and you treat it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 10-28-2018, 12:16 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
The same argument Raddo and other abusers make all the time.

BTW, my in-laws are alcoholics. They've run a successful business for 45 years, travel the country all the time and have more friends than anyone I know. Such superficial analyses rarely tell the stories of how chemical abuse affect their lives and the people around them.
Maybe you should smoke pot, you might not be so judgmental and might stop wanting to control others.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:17 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
Why is it ridiculous. You claim in all these marijuana threads that earlier in the threads you have posted all this evidence of the benefits of marijuana use. Why should we exempt kids from the benefits of marijuana? Is your argument that marijuana is harmful to kids? Is it only harmful to kids, but not adults? How does that work?
You are unrealistically trying to lump not only cannabis and its effects, but people too, all into one category: Using cannabis has one and only one effect on all the humans who use it.

Your level of understanding is so low I am reluctant to try to correct you, especially since your profoundly closed mind is very evident.

Let's just say that cannabis and its effects vary wildly depending on the strain, the reason it is being used, and the person using it. Some people can indeed benefit, for others it is detrimental and they have no business at all using it. And just about every combination in between.

To insinuate that the benefits and/or harm of cannabis usage would apply universally to everyone, especially children, shows how deeply you are grasping for straws, how ignorant you are, and how you have no problems putting that ignorance on display.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
People who use cannabis are going to regardless of legality. It’s really a no brainer to legalize it at this point. Treat it like alcohol. The amount of money saved and taxes generated for localities is a win win.
You are forgetting to consider how BAD that would be for many law enforcement agencies, prisons, etc.

The war on drugs puts food on the table for MANY MANY people in this country.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:23 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Sure, if there is a medical condition that would benefit from it's use.

I'm not sure "encourage" would be the right word though. I wouldn't encourage use of anything medicinal, that is pro-active. Medical treatment is reactive, a problem occurs, and you treat it.
The bottom line is that the resident potheads and marijuana apologists here and elsewhere ceaselessly argue that marijuana benefits people, not harms them. It's illogical to then argue that kids should not be exposed to all these health benefits. To stake it on, "Well, they might abuse it and get addicted," is absurd. By that standard all sorts of prescription drugs should never be given to kids, regardless how they may help them, on account of the fact that some might abuse them and become addicted.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That is a great post!

Your biggest problem is that you seem to believe that cannabis was prohibited in the first place because of the effects is has on the humans who consume it. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If your mind was only open enough to research and accept that simple fact, you could then (maybe) understand that the roots of the legalization movement come from the desire to right the injustices caused by a law that is rooted in corruption, not money.

But I admit that these days, the money element takes the driver's seat though.

If you could only see how your unrealistic position is damaging your cause. I wrote this to you in another thread, and it holds just as true today as it did then:

It's amazing to me how little has changed in the last 50 years. When I was a young impressionable Jr. High student, people like you would give lectures, and warn against all the grave consequences of even touching marijuana. I understand the well-meaning concept: Scare the bejeebies out of the little brats, and they'll be less likely to ever touch the stuff. So you fill your diatribe with all kinds of crap, caring little about how truthful it is, as long as it sounds scary and will keep the kids away from pot.

But then I got a little older and discovered much of the load I was taught about it was just that: A load. It caused me to immediately distrust anything else teachers like you taught me, even if it was "Don't do heroin, it will kill you". I never did any heroin, but even that warning went out the window because the nonsense spouted about pot made me completely lose respect. Because my teachers were so untruthful, I had to disregard all I was taught and go out and learn about life on my own. That made life, for a while, much more dangerous than it needed to be.

Here we are 50 years later, and I see nothing at all has changed. People like you still torpedo your own precious cause with propaganda, and the damage spreads into other areas too. One would have thought with a half a century to learn we would have figured that out by now.
Well said, its amazing how years and years of brainwashing and conditioning, can absolutely deceive so many people!!

I read something a long time ago about brainwashing/conditioning and how it can change a persons mind, they are LITERALLY not able to recognize something if its right in front of them, clear as day!

Old 10-28-2018, 12:26 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I sometimes post on the very bad impact of drug legalization, such as increased car crashes and ED visits. I was talking to a friend in the medical field and she mentioned the massive increase in drop out rates in states that legalized drugs. I had not heard of this (media blackout?) but I did some research and found it to be true:

https://www.evms.edu/about_evms/admi...opout-rate.php

We agreed to let states set marijuana policy for a few years without federal interference because we want to use states as laboratories and get some data. The data are in and they stink. I don’t know how any parent in America can support this based on the above study and all the negative impact we are seeing as a result of legalization. The experiment has failed. Time to lock American’s dangerous drugs back in the cabinet.
Good. Less competition for the rest of us who are not potheads in the job market.

Old 10-28-2018, 12:30 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
To the OP:

See? THAT is what I mean by reality. That is a first-hand account from an actual person, not a "study" funded by some group with an agenda!

There are 1,000's of such real-world first-hand accounts related to cannabis on these CD forum threads.

If you and the other prohibitionists would compile all the valid, first-hand reports like this one, you would see reality for the first time in your life.
Wait, wait, wait... you’re really saying that we should base public policy on anecdotes told by anonymous internet posters over verified factual studies done by physicians at university medical schools?

Old 10-28-2018, 12:33 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Maybe you should smoke pot, you might not be so judgmental and might stop wanting to control others.
Give me a break. I have taken in homeless youngsters who self sabotage and had all kinds of addictions. The one universal pattern between them was they loved pot, plus other recreational drugs.

But whatever. Do what you want. Smoke and inject away. Those of us who actually love life without the need to spice it up with mind numbing drugs are doing just fine, thank you very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies