Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:19 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1960s when I was in high school, at least 10% of the students came to school drunk or high. You won't change that. Most teachers were either too stupid to realize it or did not care.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Kids have been dropping out before legalization. Legalization actually means it can be more controlled.

Keep trying though..
So controlled dropping out? Interesting.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I vote almost exclusively Democratic and have talked about global warming for twenty years. You see, friend, I reject pseudoscientific propaganda at all times. It's my consistency that confounds political religionists. THe Left loves me when I talk about global warming, but hates me when I talk about the dangers of marijuana based upon actual science or when I speak out against trans mania, which is sometimes defended with similar junk science.
You reject scientific evidence that contradicts what you believe in.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I never drink. I've thought people who get drunk/high were obvious losers since I was a kid.
They still are.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:25 AM

2,448 posts, read 894,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Then you need to be consistent with that view - all drugs, food, religious/ideological belief. and chemicals that can be seen to damage society, must go.
I am, friend.

I represent a camp that really doesn't exist anymore in the States, what, for lack of better terms, could be labeled the communitarian-traditionalist ideology. You're all liberals to me. All of you buy into the idea that individualistic freedom and rights are the basis for community and society. I do not. Order precedes such freedoms and rights. Traditions do not generally arise and persist because of power imbalances. They persist because they are time-tested instruments of order and peace for society. What takes centuries and millennia to build can be destroyed in years, months, even days, particularly by the folks who believe they can create heaven on earth. Whereas you folks bring back most matters to rights, I bring most things back to the common good. I do not believe your "right" to get high trumps the right of the community to order and peace, which is necessarily disrupted and harmed by the drug abuse of wayward individuals. It's no different in my classroom, where I do not allow one student's "free expression" to disrupt and deprive other students of their educations.

I don't have any illusions about this battle. There are extremely powerful, monied interests who push for legalization. There is also an avalanche of pressure from users/abusers who want their behavior protected/validated. We are a culture that embraces and celebrates selfism at every turn. I am on the losing side of this battle. Some day, a future generation will look back at the regression and heap scorn upon us. We will deserve it.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They still are.
But all the more pathetic at age 40/50/60.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
But all the more pathetic at age 40/50/60.
Correct.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:30 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
They still are.
And most school teachers today could not have made it through high school 50 years ago. I deal with them all the time.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:32 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,333,862 times
Quote:
I am, friend.

I represent a camp that really doesn't exist anymore in the States, what, for lack of better terms, could be labeled the communitarian-traditionalist ideology. You're all liberals to me. All of you buy into the idea that individualistic freedom and rights are the basis for community and society. I do not. Order precedes such freedoms and rights. Traditions do not generally arise and persist because of power imbalances. They persist because they are time-tested instruments of order and peace for society. What takes centuries and millennia to build can be destroyed in years, months, even days, particularly by the folks who believe they can create heaven on earth. Whereas you folks bring back most matters to rights, I bring most things back to the common good. I do not believe your "right" to get high trumps the right of the community to order and peace, which is necessarily disrupted and harmed by the drug abuse of wayward individuals. It's no different in my classroom, where I do not allow one student's "free expression" to disrupt and deprive other students of their educations.

I don't have any illusions about this battle. There are extremely powerful, monied interests who push for legalization. There is also an avalanche of pressure from users/abusers who want their behavior protected/validated. We are a culture that embraces and celebrates selfism at every turn. I am on the losing side of this battle. Some day, a future generation will look back at the regression and heap scorn upon us. We will deserve it.
That is a great post!

Your biggest problem is that you seem to believe that cannabis was prohibited in the first place because of the effects is has on the humans who consume it. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If your mind was only open enough to research and accept that simple fact, you could then (maybe) understand that the roots of the legalization movement come from the desire to right the injustices caused by a law that is rooted in corruption, not money.

But I admit that these days, the money element takes the driver's seat though.

If you could only see how your unrealistic position is damaging your cause. I wrote this to you in another thread, and it holds just as true today as it did then:

It's amazing to me how little has changed in the last 50 years. When I was a young impressionable Jr. High student, people like you would give lectures, and warn against all the grave consequences of even touching marijuana. I understand the well-meaning concept: Scare the bejeebies out of the little brats, and they'll be less likely to ever touch the stuff. So you fill your diatribe with all kinds of crap, caring little about how truthful it is, as long as it sounds scary and will keep the kids away from pot.

But then I got a little older and discovered much of the load I was taught about it was just that: A load. It caused me to immediately distrust anything else teachers like you taught me, even if it was "Don't do heroin, it will kill you". I never did any heroin, but even that warning went out the window because the nonsense spouted about pot made me completely lose respect. Because my teachers were so untruthful, I had to disregard all I was taught and go out and learn about life on my own. That made life, for a while, much more dangerous than it needed to be.

Here we are 50 years later, and I see nothing at all has changed. People like you still torpedo your own precious cause with propaganda, and the damage spreads into other areas too. One would have thought with a half a century to learn we would have figured that out by now.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And most school teachers today could not have made it through high school 50 years ago. I deal with them all the time.
Indeed. We've created millions of uneducated people.

And don't get me started on Internet forum posters, particularly pothead Internet forum posters. I could ballpark the median intelligence quotient of said group, but I don't want to hurt any feelings, it being Sunday and all. You know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies