Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 11:34 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I am, friend.

I represent a camp that really doesn't exist anymore in the States, what, for lack of better terms, could be labeled the communitarian-traditionalist ideology. You're all liberals to me. All of you buy into the idea that individualistic freedom and rights are the basis for community and society. I do not. Order precedes such freedoms and rights. Traditions do not generally arise and persist because of power imbalances. They persist because they are time-tested instruments of order and peace for society. What takes centuries and millennia to build can be destroyed in years, months, even days, particularly by the folks who believe they can create heaven on earth. Whereas you folks bring back most matters to rights, I bring most things back to the common good. I do not believe your "right" to get high trumps the right of the community to order and peace, which is necessarily disrupted and harmed by the drug abuse of wayward individuals. It's no different in my classroom, where I do not allow one student's "free expression" to disrupt and deprive other students of their educations.

I don't have any illusions about this battle. There are extremely powerful, monied interests who push for legalization. There is also an avalanche of pressure from users/abusers who want their behavior protected/validated. We are a culture that embraces and celebrates selfism at every turn. I am on the losing side of this battle. Some day, a future generation will look back at the regression and heap scorn upon us. We will deserve it.
I'm aware of your type - You can keep your Logan's Run world, and any justification for empowering the State to control how an individual thinks.

The world is a much better place when people coexist despite differences, rather than live in the false peace of enforced conformity.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 AM

19,721 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Well, I don't use pot, but don't care who does.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:36 AM

2,448 posts, read 893,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
That is a great post!

Your biggest problem is that you seem to believe that cannabis was prohibited in the first place because of the effects is has on the humans who consume it. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If your mind was only open enough to research and accept that simple fact, you could then (maybe) understand that the roots of the legalization movement come from the desire to right the injustices caused by a law that is rooted in corruption, not money.

But I admit that these days, the money element takes the driver's seat though.

If you could only see how your unrealistic position is damaging your cause. I wrote this to you in another thread, and it holds just as true today as it did then:

It's amazing to me how little has changed in the last 50 years. When I was a young impressionable Jr. High student, people like you would give lectures, and warn against all the grave consequences of even touching marijuana. I understand the well-meaning concept: Scare the bejeebies out of the little brats, and they'll be less likely to ever touch the stuff. So you fill your diatribe with all kinds of crap, caring little about how truthful it is, as long as it sounds scary and will keep the kids away from pot.

But then I got a little older and discovered much of the load I was taught about it was just that: A load. It caused me to immediately distrust anything else people like you taught me, even if it was "Don't do heroin, it will kill you". Even that went out the window because the nonsense spouted about pot made me completely lose respect. I had to go out and learn the truth on my own.

Here we are 50 years later, and I see nothing at all has changed. People like you still torpedo your own precious cause with propaganda, and the damage spreads into other areas too. One would have thought with a half a century to learn we would have figured that out by now.
I'm not interested in changing your mind because you will rationalize your marijuana or herion use, regardless what I say. That's what addicts do. Like you, they also swear that their chemical abuse isn't abuse and that these chemicals have actually improved them and their lives.

Do you support marijuana use by kids? With all the benefits of marijuana that you believe it delivers, how could you ethically oppose it being used by kids? How about medically-supervised use for kids? Good for them?

Old 10-28-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I'm aware of your type - You can keep your Logan's Run world, and any justification for empowering the State to control how an individual thinks.

The world is a much better place when people coexist despite differences, rather than live in the false peace of enforced conformity.
Friend, about the only people around here who believe in all sorts of fantasy world, utopian, Galt's Gluch craz talk are the libertarian/anarchist loons. In other words, 20-year olds who picked up Ayn Rand for the first time. And if you're middle-aged and you still believe in such pie-in-the-sky piffle, well, you're in the same camp with the middle-aged potheads.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:40 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Do you support marijuana use by kids? With all the benefits of marijuana that you believe it delivers, how could you ethically oppose it being used by kids? How about medically-supervised use for kids? Good for them?
Where did my post say anything about that? You are just deflecting because you have no substance to use to counter the damage people like you have done to the kids who are smarter than you on this subject, and laughing at you under their breath every single day.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:42 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Where did my post say anything about that? You are just deflecting because you have no substance to use to counter the damage people like you have done to the kids who are smarter than you on this subject, and laughing at you under their breath every single day.
Nice deflecting yourself in not answering the question.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
I don't speak of drug use in class, friend.

Answer the question. You look weak and insecure when you avoid it.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:45 AM

Should kids also use marijuana, given the all the benefits claimed by pro-legalization folks? Why not? Particularly if its use can be medically-supervised?

Old 10-28-2018, 11:46 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,676,363 times
Quote:
Friend, about the only people around here who believe in all sorts of fantasy world, utopian, Galt's Gluch craz talk are the libertarian/anarchist loons. In other words, 20-year olds who picked up Ayn Rand for the first time. And if you're middle-aged and you still believe in such pie-in-the-sky piffle, well, you're in the same camp with the middle-aged potheads.
Fantasy/Utopian belief has been a driving force of society, since we left the caves -you aren't aware of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies