Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 07:02 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,528,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That may be -- but it shouldn't..... If the Trump campaign buys a Williams CD and decides to pump up the volume at a campaign rally - Williams should have no control over it.
That's like saying Jack Daniels should be able to buy a CD and then use it to sell whiskey without getting an agreement with the songwriter. Just because you buy a CD or legally download a song does not give you any special rights to it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2018, 07:05 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
as a businessman Trump should already know the ins and outs of this. Shocking. The idiot in chief doesn't know a common fact.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:17 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,100,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Why are you and I surprised that an idiot, like Trump, would play a song like that after such a national tragedy ? The man has no brains and zero class. After all, he didn't die, so he only cares about his sorry butt.

And, to the OP, YES, an artist DOES have the legal ownership of their songs and the right to not only be paid, but to determine where it is used. If Chrysler runs a TV spot, and uses his song, they will pay for it and need permission.
And back to the Henny Youngman shtick in less than 24 hours, joking about having a "bad hair day". He couldn't maintain a respectful and serious demeanor for even 24 hours after such a terrible tragedy. He's the most low class (or no class) individual in the history of this planet.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:22 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,274,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
That's like saying Jack Daniels should be able to buy a CD and then use it to sell whiskey without getting an agreement with the songwriter. Just because you buy a CD or legally download a song does not give you any special rights to it
Two different situations -- Trump isn't selling anything. He's just playing the music.

I agree with you on the Jack Daniels comment -- in that case they should have to pay for the rights.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:24 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
This is like Ozzy saying he doesn't want Crazy Train being played in the Baltimore stadium only while the NFL itself paid licensing fees to use it in all of them. These Leftist musicians are a joke to their profession since they don't even understand the contracts they sign.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
If I buy your music, I own it and can play it when ever I wish.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:51 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
YOU DO NOT GET TO CENSOR how your music is used.
Actually ... they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
There is no more caring person about all humans than President Trump.
Nothing like a little comedy to beat the mid-morning slump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
PLUS, many times the artists don't even own the final product of their music, the record company does and they can license it to whoever they want to then pay the artists fees for royalties.
Many times the artists do retain control of their own music. It all depends on the artist and his/her licensing agreements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

The ignorance on this topic -- I can't decide if it's pathetic, hilarious, or just plain stupid.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:59 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
as a businessman Trump should already know the ins and outs of this. Shocking. The idiot in chief doesn't know a common fact.
Oh, he knows, or at least someone close to him knows. They just don't care, and/or think themselves above such concerns. They thought they could get away with it, clearly. Now we're again seeing the tired old blame-the-victim tactic, when it's clear that it was Trump and his minions who were the blatant offenders. It amounts to theft of another's creative property.

This incident once again demonstrates the total lack of respect for others' property rights and wishes than is one of Trump's more egregious and offensive traits.

Why should the Liar-in-Chief demonstrate respect for the law in this specific case, given his scorn for it in so many others? Nice example for the public, I must say, but of course his deluded base is ignorant and has no concern or appreciation for creative property and their creators' legal rights to them.

Hope Pharrell wins this one big-time.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:02 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,903,577 times
Playing recorded music you have purchased for your own entertainment is your right. You can play such music in your home, your car, or in another's home, or at purely social gatherings such as parties where no admission is charged.

Playing another's composition from sheet music on your own instrument is also your right. Claiming you are the composer is not your right.

If you play such music in a concert where admission is charged, or if you record your own version of it, you'd better consult a creative rights lawyer to make sure you're doing it legally and the composer grants you permission and gets his or her share of the profits.

Playing music in a partisan political or fundraising arena without the compensation of or the permission of the creator is NOT your right.

As has been noted, many posters defending Trump's behavior here need to better educate themselves about the legalities of creative and artistic property and how it may be used by others.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:45 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
LOL. no. Nice try tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies