Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2018, 08:34 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,094,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Except the Democrats gave us the ACA in the first place.

Many are finding it unaffordable these days.

As usual, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

And Democrats are never short of ill planned and poorly thought out good intentions.

Reforming health care was a nobel cause, and the ACA did help some people.

But it did so at the expense of screwing over millions of others.

The simple fact is that you cannot force insurance companies to cover pre existing conditions without raising premiums and deductibles for everyone.

And the mandate just did not make up the difference.

Everyone likes the idea of covering pre existing conditions but for the millions of people who don't have one, it made their every day healthcare expenses much more costly.

So, from the perspective of someone who does not have a pre-existing condition, what good is forcing someone to buy health insurance when the premiums and deductibles are so expensive that you can't afford to actually use it?

This is the main problem with Obamacare and the reason it was so unpopular with many Americans.

This was inevitable, and to be honest the designers of the ACA were well aware of this.

Obamacare was never designed to be the be-all and end-all of healthcare. It's inevitable failure was built in to be a stepping stone to single-payer.

Only they weren't counting on losing the 2016 election......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2018, 08:34 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Actually I dont see where the judge or that state made health care unconstitutional. Maybe forcing people by making a law to buy a product, but not health care itself.
Yes, I caught that too. That sure is a twist of logic. So health care is illegal because the law forcing you to buy health insurance isn't constitutional ? Those are two very separate issues.

Good idea or not, I'd still like someone to explain to me how a law forcing me to buy a private product, health insurance in this case, just by reason of birth, could ever be ruled constitutional.

And please don't anyone bring up mandated auto insurance. If I have to explain the vast difference in these two very different situations, you'd most likely not understand anyway.

Recently, Nancy Pelosi was asked how Obamacare was constitutional. She responded: That's not a serious question. Well, actually it is. Just a quick explanation will suffice. Anyone ?

Old 12-15-2018, 08:36 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,628,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Not likely. He ran on purging the Healthcare Slavery Act. He ran on freeing the slaves.
Well I’m just sayin’, I know many Trump voters who receive ACA subsidies.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:38 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,078,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Most of them are completely unaware that the ACA and Obamacare are the same thing. They're not the brightest bulbs in the box.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:39 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Cut the crap. I'm just an ordinary American who wants what's best for America. This is not what's best for America. I'm an independent, and I despise both the Democratic and the Republicans for different reasons. America first, absolutely - that's precisely what universal healthcare would entail. Americans first.
You want what is best for you, by forcing everyone else to pay for your existence.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:41 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Your complaining about MY KID (a US citizen) going to school and your so called "tax dollars" being used to pay for his schooling.....
I am not, and I did not use that term, so I don't know why you used it.

Quote:
But your not complaining about illegals that eat up a huge portion of your taxes.... thats why.
In fact, I've complained a LOT about illegal immigration. I side more with the Republicans on immigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
The GOP will have to somehow keep protections for those with pre-existing conditions because they absolutely know they will get slaughtered in the 2020 elections.
They have no authority to do that. It is now a State issue... Read the 10th Amendment for yourself.
If your state mandates it, then you are good to go.
"Taking power from DC and giving it back to you... The People"
Promises made
Promises kept

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Because they were forced to under threat of fines or jail time--buy it or go to jail, and if you can't afford it, have your neighbor buy it for you or go to jail.

Most people don't like being charity cases. Most people would rather stand on their own two feet. For those who don't, there is always our broken welfare system to turn to.

And nobody ever seems to want to discuss a very viable alternative--health care sharing programs. There are two reasons the left doesn't want to discuss that alternative: #1, it is voluntary and not imposed by the government. #2, it tends to be a "Christian phenomena" (although there are non-Christian alternatives out there as well).

Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,435,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You want what is best for you, by forcing everyone else to pay for your existence.
No. Our entire civilization is predicated on a give-and-take principle.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
As a Canadian with stable and affordable health care I feel bad for you folks...You deserve better than this.

I assume that you are aware that this in no way affects the people in the white house who hopefully will be taking care of this mess....They are well provided for regarding health insurance.....Using your tax dollars of course.

Canadians by the tens of thousands, come to the USA to get specialized care....
When we axe the 16th amendment, we will be free from the boot of Washington DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies