Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2019, 11:46 AM

62,976 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Haven't you been listening to the wise CD posters who say that the illegals come because they're sex traffickers, drug smugglers, and just people who want free housing, food, and education?

Yes, all of the above and those seeking to steal jobs and resources from Americans.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:51 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHAT's a "Constructional right" ? Is that how Trump brings in his illegals?
Got bit by a dog the other day .... typing on my phone left handed.....

So you may have to deal with deciphering the occasional typo or spell check error for a while.

Doesn't change what I said.

No one from any country has a CONSTITUTIONAL right to cross our borders illegaly.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:54 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Because he has a well-documented history of claiming that he never said things that he clearly said.

In the same sentence? Because I'm responding to the big deal being made over conflicts within the same sentence.

There's a well-documented history of liberals twisting what he said and claiming he said or never said it.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:55 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I expect more knowledge from those who LIVE in a situation than from those 1,000s of miles away.

And just WHOM do you believe it should be up to?

Lol, you think they're just going to stop after they get.over the border and camp out on the people's land who live there?

And you think those land owners won't have any objections to that?

You're really reaching in just about every post..... using the most extreme argument you can come up with as a comeback.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:00 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
A blow torch is not a common tool. Plus a cordless hammer drill.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I glanced at that thread but don't have the time to read it all. I disagree that discussion is futile and people don't ever change their minds. It just doesn't happen in an instant. It isn't going to happen in a discussion. It happens over a long period of time. If your goal in a discussion is to prove you are right and make someone change their mind or admit they are wrong, you will fail. If your goal is to plant seeds for thought then you might be able to do that even if you might never know it.
I firmly believe that thread you glanced at provides some "seeds for thought" that are worthy of far more than a glance, in part because it helps to explain how we tend to think and maybe even how to better approach the changing of people's minds as needed or appropriate. Going through that thread, however, doesn't happen in an instant. Takes a little time, but time I think better spent than average in this forum as a rule. Curious your thoughts/comments along those lines as well...

I might also add that if anyone's mind is going to change about anything (unlikely), it surely doesn't typically happen "in an instant." I also don't think in terms of "proving you are right" but more what I prefer to call "comparing notes," and "triangulating for the truth." Doesn't really matter what you call it though. Whatever helps us Americans make some progress in general is the idea, rather than go backwards.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:03 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,316,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Back to the drawing board.

. . . testing by DHS in late 2017 showed all eight prototypes, including the steel slats, were vulnerable to breaching, according to an internal February 2018 U.S. Customs and Border Protection report.

Photos of the breaches were not included in a redacted version of the CBP report, which was first obtained in a Freedom of Information Act Request by San Diego public radio station KPBS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/imm...-sawed-n956856

. . . results of the test after military and Border Patrol experts were instructed to attempt to destroy the barriers with common tools.
So,....

All eight prototypes FAIL!

And

A wall will not work!

So just let it be built then!!!!!

It will not effect your side at all since it will definitely not work and we've wasted 6 billion on worse....

Like 30 years and more on illegals. So what's another 5 billion "wasted".

According to your side you have nothing to lose except 5 billion dollars. And considering your sanctuary cities in N.Y. and California are promising "free" healthcare to everyone on the planet who can make their way there than money should not be an objection....

UNLESSS you're a total hypocrite. 5 billion for something that will not work vs. 100's of billions for something that will bankrupt any municipality or national government that seriously attempts it.

I'll call it MORE THAN a fair tradeoff.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
wow calling those 3 republicans is like calling Obama white...especially sue Collins , she has voted with the democrats her entire career ...
Kavanaugh, a white Republican FEMALE Senator voted to approve Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court. I can't search through all of these threads to see what you might have said about her in that case, but I'm guessing an entirely different take...

Now, she along with other Republicans are choosing not to march exactly in line with Trump's missteps, like better functioning members of Congress SHOULD be doing, and they are dismissed in typical Trump fashion.

Not that hypocrisy isn't commonplace in politics. Never really helps the party to side with the other party let alone make them look good, but when it comes to us citizens who do the same thing without hesitation or reservation..., well I ask you, how can we expect better from our elected representatives?

Old 01-10-2019, 12:20 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I firmly believe that thread you glanced at provides some "seeds for thought" that are worthy of far more than a glance, in part because it helps to explain how we tend to think and maybe even how to better approach the changing of people's minds as needed or appropriate. Going through that thread, however, doesn't happen in an instant. Takes a little time, but time I think better spent than average in this forum as a rule. Curious your thoughts/comments along those lines as well...

I might also add that if anyone's mind is going to change about anything (unlikely), it surely doesn't typically happen "in an instant." I also don't think in terms of "proving you are right" but more what I prefer to call "comparing notes," and "triangulating for the truth." Doesn't really matter what you call it though. Whatever helps us Americans make some progress in general is the idea, rather than go backwards.

I agree. I'll look at it closer tonight.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Of course that's his spin...here is what was actually said...

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings..._medium=header

Or maybe you can show us where your president said exactly what the person you quoted said....

Lets wait....
I applaud the effort to insist on quoting verbatim, understanding quotes in their proper context, getting the facts right in any case...

Though that effort was sorely lacking back when Obama was the one being misquoted or misrepresented, I find this all the more humorous now after Trump HAS been quoted verbatim, so many times, "caught on tape" with so many falsehoods and half-truths, all of no matter to Trump supporters. Now we're suddenly going to get serious about what was actually said or meant?

Okay, but again the dynamic of partisan hypocrisy rules the day, and quite frankly, I really have to wonder how much of what Trump says here -- verbatim -- is actually true. How many vehicles are we talking about?

How many of these "unbelievable vehicles" are "stronger, bigger, and faster vehicles than our police have, and than ICE has, and than Border Patrol has?"

I really have to wonder, but why bother with the actual facts and numbers when it's the rhetoric that matters most! Believe what Trump says here too and maybe what we ought to be doing is spending $5 billion on "stronger, bigger and faster vehicles" for all our border patrol agents! Might even get some support from our auto makers for that!

Don't know whether to laugh or cry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies