Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 06:05 PM

22,474 posts, read 12,011,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
No, it's not BS And for the record, a poll just came out that said 74% of Americans want the government to be reopened and have to continue discussions on the budget. That's what the Dems have been proposing all along. I hope Mitch McConnell is listening. I agree that both parties need to pass immigration reform.
The democrats have proven themselves to be untrustworthy. I'm glad Trump isn't being taken in by their BS that after the government is reopened, they will discuss the wall.

By "immigration reform" do you mean amnesty for illegals? If so, we don't need "immigration reform". Instead, we need our immigration laws enforced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 06:16 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Finally! He has a record!
He likes being #1.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:17 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'd like to know what airport has thousands of federal employees (not traffic controllers or TSA because they are still working) that are not working. Are all the other businesses just outside that airport closing down, too?

Except for those connecting through, everyone with that destination as an origin or endpoint must pass along the same corridors.
Again, we have a comprehension problem...she did not say she is “closing down” her cafe; she said that she is losing much of her revenue the past few weeks, causing her to not need an employee for now. That’s the trickle-down from this mess. Thus, her point was to show an example of that problem in everyday life.

I seriously doubt that the federal employees who are “still working”, as you say, are eating out any more than the ones stuck in limbo. NONE are being paid, so eating out, going to movies, shopping, etc. get axed.
Despite the blatant hatred from some of you for federal employees, I doubt you would turn their money away if you depended on it for your livelihood.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:35 PM

62,987 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiana1 View Post
Not contiflating. Just making a point that if you give your neighborhood kids cupcakes every time they come to your house, they will keep coming. What will stop them? Simply stopping giving them cupcakes, then they will never come.

The next time you go to a hotel or country club for your monthly Chamber of Commerce breakfast meeting or any event, look around you and see who is clearing dirty plates from your table. It's not like these undocumented workers are hiding! They are made to blend very well with the venue's regular employees (minus the English!) and wear the same uniform. They even wear name tags, except their names are changed too so you don't become aware of their undocumented status. For example, the banquet server's real name could be Alexandro, but his name tag will say "Tony" or some other FAKE name. The more reputable the hotel or country club is, the more likely it is that their banquet servers and housekeepers are undocumented, with little to no English.

Since you clearly want to be part of the solution, next time, instead of focusing too much on your scrambled eggs or sausage links, get up and tell the venue's GM that you know they use undocumented workers. His nervousness will be priceless! 😆

I personally am not giving them cupcakes and this is my house just as much as those who do. We all know that they come to steal jobs, taxes and resources from Americans but those of us who aren't giving them cupcakes are going to do all we can to stop them from getting into our country. We can't help that other fools keep giving them cupcakes. We want e-verify to stop them from getting cupcake jobs. We want to end birthright citizenship cupcakes also. The best way is to secure the border with a wall so that they can't get in to get any cupcakes in the first place.

No such thing as an undocumented worker or an undocumented anything. They are illegal aliens and that is their status not "undocumented". How are we to tell someone is an illegal alien just by looking at them? Do they wear a tag stating so? How do we know what is their fake name vs their real name? You make no sense at all! I don't converse with the hired help anywhere that I do business. Why should I? So I don't know what you're getting at. I have no idea who hires illegal aliens and who doesn't so why should I make accusations of any business owners? Again, you're not making any sense but just grasping at straws.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:40 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Sigh...for the umpteenth time --- Trump does NOT want a 2000 mile long wall. The wall will be on 700 miles. There are areas on the border that are impossible to navigate so no wall needed there.

Stop lying.
Sorry. 1,000 miles. There is already 700 miles of some sort of barrier.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/m...ill-cost-will/

Actually the one who needs to stop lying is Trump. He's the one who said Mexico would pay for it.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
The democrats have proven themselves to be untrustworthy. I'm glad Trump isn't being taken in by their BS that after the government is reopened, they will discuss the wall.

By "immigration reform" do you mean amnesty for illegals? If so, we don't need "immigration reform". Instead, we need our immigration laws enforced.
I don't mean anything by immigration reform. I expect the two parties to work that out, as I am far from an expert on what is needed.

I just saw a poll tonight that 74% of Americans want the government to be reopened and the budget talks continued.

The majority don't want a wall, even at that. Dems and GOP have both said they want greater border security. That is what they should be working on.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Unfortunately, those "other ways" are even less likely to happen than a wall. We haven't even had a serious discussion on them so shifting to them likely means putting everything off for another year, by which time we'll be in campaign season.
I think we can agree that both sides are long past due in coming up with immigration reform and border security. Shame on both parties for letting it get to this point.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry. 1,000 miles. There is already 700 miles of some sort of barrier.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/m...ill-cost-will/

Actually the one who needs to stop lying is Trump. He's the one who said Mexico would pay for it.
You are wrong. And I stand corrected:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4793962/d...all-550-miles/

550 miles.

Some of the so-called current 700 miles of border fencing is inadequate. The vehicle barriers are useless.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I don't mean anything by immigration reform. I expect the two parties to work that out, as I am far from an expert on what is needed.

I just saw a poll tonight that 74% of Americans want the government to be reopened and the budget talks continued.

The majority don't want a wall, even at that. Dems and GOP have both said they want greater border security. That is what they should be working on.
A wall is a big part of "border security".

If 74% of Americans want the government reopened, then they need to get after the democrats.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
A wall is a big part of "border security".

If 74% of Americans want the government reopened, then they need to get after the democrats.
The Democrats passed bills just this past week to reopen the government and continue border security talk. So looks like the 74% are in agreement with them. Mitch McConnell is the one standing in the way.

Who says the wall is a big part of border security? There are 700 miles of barriers already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies