Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 05:00 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
remember that it takes two to tango, and pelosi is just as much to blame since she refused to deal with trump at all.

Wrong

Pelosi didn't shut down the govt.

Pelosi couldn't reopen it.

Just FYI.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 05:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ya know, that's a great question.

The wall itself was a meaningless symbol so either way it's *meh* whether it got built or not other than as a talking point.

In terms of *damage*, Trump is already dead in the water for 2020 so it's kinda like one more meaningless hole in the bottom of his sinking ship so I'd call it a "moot loss".

Pelosi and the dems got some backblast on this too, but not as much but then again, they're actually going to be running again in the future but I don't think it hurts the dems materially at all.

Long story short, I don't feel there was a winner and Trump is already near rock bottom preventing it from being much of a loss for him.
The big benefit to all this for the Repubs is that it's all Trump Trump Trump.
They'll be able to move on once he's gone, like some college kid that drank to much, crapped their pants and left their underwear in the bushes.

The real loser and it pains me to have to point this out were the people impacted by this needless gridlock.
Good analysis. Pence has been trying to distance himself from Trump without alienating the base. Do you see him hurt here? What are the Republican primaries going to look like in 2020? This may be far enough out that there's no impact. But then there are two more years of potential Trump disasters to come.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You act like the shutdown is offically over.

We have 3 weeks for this to be solved or we're back to square one.
There's no way. He pushed it too long. Maybe if he'd taken Lindsay Graham's suggestion and reopened for a few weeks before damage became evident he could have done a second shutdown. Now, it's too late.

He IS back to square one, but this time weakened. The threat of a shutdown was enough to get those Republican House votes in December for additional wall funds. Now even the potential threat is gone.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Just shows the Federal Government is largely unnecessary.
This is a really ironic post from someone with your screen name.

Old 01-26-2019, 05:41 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
What section of the Constitution outlines the Speaker of the House's right to demand anything of the President?

I'll check back for your reply.
What section of the Constitution outlines the President's right to demand anything of Congress?

I'll check back for your reply.

Ken

Old 01-26-2019, 05:52 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHydro View Post
His idiocy has no bounds, or his concern for the working class. He's not done until his ego and vanity is satisfied, at everybody's expense.

Wanting border security isn't caring for all of us?

Old 01-26-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
The Trump supporters are true believers. If he told them to drink poisoned cool aide they would stand in line to do so.

Lame just plain lame. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ya know, that's a great question.

The wall itself was a meaningless symbol so either way it's *meh* whether it got built or not other than as a talking point.

In terms of *damage*, Trump is already dead in the water for 2020 so it's kinda like one more meaningless hole in the bottom of his sinking ship so I'd call it a "moot loss".

Pelosi and the dems got some backblast on this too, but not as much but then again, they're actually going to be running again in the future but I don't think it hurts the dems materially at all.

Long story short, I don't feel there was a winner and Trump is already near rock bottom preventing it from being much of a loss for him.
The big benefit to all this for the Repubs is that it's all Trump Trump Trump.
They'll be able to move on once he's gone, like some college kid that drank to much, crapped their pants and left their underwear in the bushes.

The real loser and it pains me to have to point this out were the people impacted by this needless gridlock.

Did you tell congress back in 2006 that the wall was a meaningless symbol as Schumer and Obama both signed on for it? Are you going to tell the Border Patrol and Homeland Security that its a meaningless symbol? Thought not! Hypocricy rules with you lefties. Pretty stupid not to inform yourself on the effectiveness of the good walls, isn't it? Or maybe you have an agenda?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Did you tell congress back in 2006 that the wall was a meaningless symbol as Schumer and Obama both signed on for it? Are you going to tell the Border Patrol and Homeland Security that its a meaningless symbol? Thought not! Hypocricy rules with you lefties. Pretty stupid not to inform yourself on the effectiveness of the good walls, isn't it? Or maybe you have an agenda?
Mathguy is hardly a leftie.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
So nice of you to think of 800,000 of your fellow Americans who were not receiving a paycheck due to Trump's shutdown as whiny!
Non-essential money suckers, feeding from the US Treasury?
Screw Them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies