Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 05:09 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,883,450 times
[quote=Sundaydrive00;54157696]Hahaha... You're not serious, right?

Basically every single commercial aimed at women is telling us how to be better women.

How to take better care of the house, how to better feed our families, how we're all supposed to be the perfect mother, wife, housekeeper, cook, etc... All while also working, and having perfectly smooth complexion and flawless makeup...

And be sexy, but you know, not too sexy or you'll get a bad reputation. But if you're not sexy enough, you're a prude who doesn't know how to have fun.

Women can't have any body hair. We must all shave our hairless legs and underarms before hair has the chance to grow. Hair on women is icky! Don't let anyone ever know you're a mammal who groes hair! The only hair people should see are your perfectly shaped eyebrows and long, thick golden hair without a trace of grey hair.

Oh, how hilarious to think women are never told by the media how to behavior.[/QUOTE
I agree all that is true.I like my GF like that. I bet your French.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 05:11 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Hahaha... You're not serious, right?

Basically every single commercial aimed at women is telling us how to be better women.

How to take better care of the house, how to better feed our families, how we're all supposed to be the perfect mother, wife, housekeeper, cook, etc... All while also working, and having perfectly smooth complexion and flawless makeup...

And be sexy, but you know, not too sexy or you'll get a bad reputation. But if you're not sexy enough, you're a prude who doesn't know how to have fun.

Women can't have any body hair. We must all shave our hairless legs and underarms before hair has the chance to grow. Hair on women is icky! Don't let anyone ever know you're a mammal who groes hair! The only hair people should see are your perfectly shaped eyebrows and long, thick golden hair without a trace of grey hair.

Oh, how hilarious to think women are never told by the media how to behavior.

Damn straight. We're told every single day.

But, my oh my, the crying I see on this thread about a commercial. Triggered.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:16 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I agree all that is true.I like my GF like that. I bet your French.
I dont even know what thays supposed to mean. You think I'm French because I recognize that commercials also tell women how society thinks they should behave?

Old 01-15-2019, 05:18 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,843,388 times
https://twitter.com/Mikel_Jollett/st...70476723613696

Old 01-15-2019, 05:33 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Awesome idea for a follow-up: Do a tampon commercial that leads off with a giant guilt trip for sh-tty moms. After all, there are some seriously terrible moms out there. Might as well get the message to every woman on Earth so you don't miss any of the really sh-tty moms.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:38 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
I will just keep on using my Schick razor.
Which means you hate women now.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Awesome idea for a follow-up: Do a tampon commercial that leads off with a giant guilt trip for sh-tty moms. After all, there are some seriously terrible moms out there. Might as well get the message to every woman on Earth so you don't miss any of the really sh-tty moms.
If you feel personally offended, and think that you are being called out by a razor ad than it's probably a good time to take a good hard look at yourself and figure out why you identify with the "st-tty" men from a razor ad.

And yes, mothers are guilted and told they are "sh-tty" moms in ads. Jif peanut butter likes to tell us that choosy moms choose Jif. It's implying that if you aren't buying Jif, then you're basically feeding your child trash as all those mom's who care about their child's health and wellbeing are buying Jif. Only lazy, negligent mothers buy those other peanut butter brands.

For the record, I buy store brand. I'm not personally offended by Jif, I'll buy it when it's on sale, but they are trying to guilt womem into buying their peanut butter with that slogan.

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 01-15-2019 at 06:10 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 05:56 PM

The astounding thing is that they referenced Anna "I'm f-ing better than you" Kasparian, seemingly as a credible source to guilt men. You'd have to go pretty far right to find an equivalent of extreme political bias opposite of Anna. Jarred Taylor or Richard Spencer would be in the right neighborhood in terms of mindless political bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnAJ8R-R4I

Old 01-15-2019, 06:08 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I am more than happy to discuss tampon commercials, tampon use, alternatives to tampons, and a variety of other sanitary products if you need help understanding how this is not even close to the same thing.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
If you feel personally offended, and think that you are being called out by a razor ad than it's probably a good time to take a good hard look at yourself and figure out why you identify with the "st-tty" men from a razor ad.

And yes, mothers are guilted and told they are "sh-tty" moms in ads. Jif peanut butter likes to tell us that choosy moms choose Jif. It's implying that if you aren't buying Jif, then you're basically feeding your child trash as all those mom's who care about their child's health and wellbeing are buying Jif. Only lazy, negligent mothers buy those other peanut butter brands.

For the record, I buy store brand. I'm not personally offended by Jif, I'll buy it when it's on sale, but they are definitely trying to guilt women into buying their peanut butter with that slogan.
I'm not overly bothered. I mostly think it's hilarious that Gillette did this. A company guilty of abusive exploitative labor practices overseas and who charges way too much for their crappy little razor blades. A company that is currently surviving mostly on name recognition. A company that has plenty of competition and alternatives to their products. That company was stupid enough to lead off a commercial for a product almost exclusively marketed to men ... by telling men, "You know, some of you are terrible people!! Fix yourselves!!"

I mean how stupid can you get?? That's my whole point. If a tampon commercial decided to be a PSA telling women, "You know girls, most of you suck at life and need to fix yourselves immediately!!" what do you suppose the reaction would be?

It's just bad marketing. It's a fine message for some some Church or non-profit to put up. It's not actually a bad message. It has its cringey moments. It's kinda political. But telling men to be better isn't a bad message all by itself. Just don't do it on a commercial for men's products.

On the opposite side, take a look at Axe commercials. They do what commercials are supposed to do. "Buy our crap and you'll be way more manly. Girls you've never met will want to tear your clothes off and have their way with you." That actually works. That puts the idea in people's heads. The kind of seed that leads people like my wife to buy a bunch of Axe stuff for me for Christmas -- cuz maybe the commercials carry some kernel of truth and it'll amp up my manliness and sexiness. That's intelligent marketing. Insulting or demeaning the people you're advertising to just isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies