Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 06:34 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Gillette has been added to my 'they don't get my money anymore' list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:41 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
But really. WHAT is wrong with a crew of very healthy active boys running down the street at full tilt?
Yeah, what could possibly be wrong with a boy being chased down by his bullies. It's just good old American fun... Boys will be boys.. Am I right?

As long as they're not a bunch of fatties, chase and bully other kids all you want healthy active boys!

Old 01-15-2019, 06:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Gillette has been added to my 'they don't get my money anymore' list.
Have fun boycotting all P&G products!

https://www.mumbrella.asia/content/u.../unnamed-2.jpg

Old 01-15-2019, 06:46 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Hey what do I know? But please link or point me in the direction of the tampon ad that spent the entire time guilt-tripping sh-tty moms (inevitably also guilting moms that are absolutely awesome because that's just how it works.) A message about how they need to get off their butts, stop being lazy and spend some quality time with their children. You know, the things that every woman really wants to hear.

I'm particularly curious to know how successful such an ad campaign was.
Look at any vintage ad for Midol, or for douches. At one time, Lysol advertised itself as a douche; usually it illustrated women as undesirable to their husbands because they didn't squirt Lysol into their vaginas. And you don't use Midol to make yourself feel better, you use it to make the man in your life more comfortable to be around you when you're on the rag. Ads in the 70s shamed girls for carrying tampons in their purses unsheathed, instead of in handy little carrying cases - at an extra cost, of course, ordered from the company. Other ads had teen girls asking "Am I still a virgin?" if they used tampons.

mum.org - The Museum of Menstruation. It's fascinating.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:55 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,755,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceMarx View Post
First, it was Colin Kaepernick and Nike, and now Gillette/Proctor and Gamble

Football man didn't stand for national propaganda, now razor-man hurt my feelings by calling me a bully

Why are conservatives such sensitive snowflakes?
^^^ Has the target audience for that ad finally made an appearance?

Old 01-15-2019, 06:57 PM

19,615 posts, read 12,212,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Look at any vintage ad for Midol, or for douches. At one time, Lysol advertised itself as a douche; usually it illustrated women as undesirable to their husbands because they didn't squirt Lysol into their vaginas. And you don't use Midol to make yourself feel better, you use it to make the man in your life more comfortable to be around you when you're on the rag. Ads in the 70s shamed girls for carrying tampons in their purses unsheathed, instead of in handy little carrying cases - at an extra cost, of course, ordered from the company. Other ads had teen girls asking "Am I still a virgin?" if they used tampons.

mum.org - The Museum of Menstruation. It's fascinating.
We are talking about current advertising, not fifty or seventy years ago.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Loud and proud, brother! It's time toxic masculinity and white privilege goes extinct.
Are you gonna buy more Gillette razors now?

Old 01-15-2019, 07:01 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
So many questions...

1. Grown, married men use Axe body spray? I thought that was a proudct that only insecure teenagers and frat boys bought.

2. Your wife likes the smell of Axe?

3. You, a grown man likes the smell of Axe?

4. Your wife, who I assume is an adult woman, actually thinks that buying Axe will make her husband manly?

5. You, a grown man, think those ads are the truth?

6. Assuming your wife actually believes those Axe ads... Why does she buy you body spray that she thinks will attract girls who want to tear off her husband's clothes?

7. Axe as a Christmas present? Interesting...
All amusing questions to be sure. I don't buy Axe stuff. It's overpriced for starters. I think my wife who apparently had no idea what to buy me saw it on sale and figured, "Hey, this just the thing!" I'd have preferred something else like power tools or electronics. But what the hell? I'll use the Axe body wash and shampoo other crap ... when I can remember to ... which is pretty rare because I'm a creature of habit. The point is that advertising Jedi mind tricks targeting men actually work on grown middle-aged women too, at least a little bit.

The difference between Axe and Gillette.

Axe: Buy out stuff! It'll make you better!

Gillette: You suck! Fix yourself! And your little boy too!!

And then there's the incredibly memeable, "Is this really the best a man can get?" So apparently, Gillette isn't the best a man can get.

See what I mean? Stupidity in advertising.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Heck no! I don't shave and I don't support fortune 500 companies or capitalism in general
Hence the dilemma for Gillette.

At least with the Colin K. ad there were a few black racists and white liberals who went out and bought Nike shoes just to spite Trump supporters.

Old 01-15-2019, 07:28 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doraldeen View Post
They should stop making razors altogether if they want to help women!~
You go girl

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies