Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 11:50 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
I'm waiting for ads showing women pigeoning for drinks in a bar, berating their husbands/boyfriends in public, pulling off the road and slapping their children when the Munchhausen's kicks in, accusing good men like Kavanaugh, and yelling "woooooooo" outside a club when Spring comes.

See how that works?
Nobody's making ads highlighting the problems you want to focus on? You poor victimized thing, you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 12:19 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, this has been interesting. Not sure how that ad can be offensive to anyone who's secure in his masculinity, but clearly there are some very fragile men out there. Keep at it, guys!
I honestly do not care about the ad. I don't think people are 'offended' as in hurt by the ad. I think a lot of people, men in particular, disagree with its message. I don't understand why the second half of the ad shows 'good' men intervening to correct 'bad' men (and boys) for doing largely innocuous things like calling a woman 'sweetie,' flirting, and roughhousing. Bullying, sexual harassment, etc. are bad things, but women can do those things too. I just think that the ad is in completely poor taste, and as someone whose family member sat on the board of P&G for more than 18 years, I really believe that this may have a negative impact on Gillette's market share—that has already declined from 70% to 50% over the last several years.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 AM

9,897 posts, read 3,429,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nobody's making ads highlighting the problems you want to focus on? You poor victimized thing, you.
But they're making ads highlighting the problems that you want to focus on.

Show me on the doll where the mens hurt you.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Speaking for myself, I like Gillette razors and will continue to use them until my current supply runs out. I have a lot of spare blades. P&G's advertising has pushed me away from their products. I don't want to hear a Fortune 500 corporations statement on morality.I would love to know what their blue color employees think of this? LOL.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:37 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Maybe the left can now rid themselves of their own " toxic stupidity "?

Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I honestly do not care about the ad. I don't think people are 'offended' as in hurt by the ad. I think a lot of people, men in particular, disagree with its message. I don't understand why the second half of the ad shows 'good' men intervening to correct 'bad' men (and boys) for doing largely innocuous things like calling a woman 'sweetie,' flirting, and roughhousing. Bullying, sexual harassment, etc. are bad things, but women can do those things too. I just think that the ad is in completely poor taste, and as someone whose family member sat on the board of P&G for more than 18 years, I really believe that this may have a negative impact on Gillette's market share—that has already declined from 70% to 50% over the last several years.
They show two guys getting c**k-blocked by two other guys. One sees a girl walking down the street, starts to pursue, gets co**-blocked. Then the other incident shows a guy telling a girl to "smile" and another guy co**-blocks that attempt.

Co**-blocking is now masculine?

I wouldn't even know how to respond to a guy who did that for no reason. I'd probably think he's mentally unbalanced and run away.

Hell, when we were younger if my one sister ever found out I stopped a guy from approaching her after he saw her walking down the street she'd kick my ass. She decided who to screw, not me. Is deciding who women should screw now masculine?

And she sure as hell wouldn't need my help to verbally reject a man. I saw her do it numerous times with firmness and respect. Only way I'd intervene is if he wouldn't take no for an answer or try to get physical. Can't recall any guy getting physical but my sister did signal for me to make my presence known if she couldn't shake him (again, after being firm and direct). That ended it.

And as I stated numerous times before I have 6 older sisters. During those teen/early adult years the language that came out of their pow wows would make me blush. Men got nothing on the trash talking I overheard from them growing up.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..and not one word about toxic femininity
Perhaps I missed something, but I watched the ad three times, and I never actually heard the word "toxic."

Old 01-16-2019, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Um ... hello? That's the reason all ads exist.

You can't be serious. Where have you been for the last 100 years?

Advertising has been telling women how to live their lives probably since advertising began. Your husband will love you more if you wash his shirts with Wisk. Men will be attracted to you because you're blonde. Your kids will love you more if you buy Jif. You'll be on his mind if you drink Tab. You'll feel more feminine if you use Tampax.

Have a happy period!
^^^This, this, this. Sooooo much this!

Fact is, ads tell people how to be better or happier in one way or another. That's why advertising effing exists - to try to convince people that this or that product is going to improve their lives. To suggest this is new, or only happening to men, is absurd.

I am not going to start cheerleading for P&G, but I truly do not understand why so many people are so deeply offended by an ad that portrays, as role models, men who break up or prevent fights, protect a child from a pack of bullies, or tell a friend that some random woman walking down the street may not want to be leered at or propositioned.

Also, I said it before, but will say it again: I watched the ad more than once, and did not hear the word "toxic." Last time I checked, my hearing was pretty good.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:37 AM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think Rush - or maybe someone else referenced the term "toxic masculinity". I expected that term to be used in this ad, and it wasn't.

So there IS that.
There is a news clip in the ad where 'toxic masculinity' is heard.

Old 01-16-2019, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolom View Post
But they're making ads highlighting the problems that you want to focus on.

Show me on the doll where the mens hurt you.
Show us in the ad where the word "toxic" is heard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies