Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 11:36 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
This is what we call “product suicide”

You don’t alienate and stereotype your entire consumer base to milk the #metoo movement.
Especially if you’re wealthy greedy faceless corporation that overcharges for their products.

Bye Gillette, you lost another loyal customer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Actually feminists also don't like "white knighting".
White knighting | Geek Feminism Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia
That’s why this commercial is so bad. It’s trying to patornize women.

Gillette isn’t exactly the beacon of morality. And you don’t change complex society issues with a razor commercial who just wants your money.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:44 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,692,099 times
My biggest issue with Gillette is that I don't feel like letting them rip me off by selling plastic razor catridges for $3.00 to $4.00 per refill cartridge:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gillette-...fills/14301856

Gillette has been getting over on consumers for years with the huge margins that they make on their cartridge refills. That is their real cash cow. They will practically give the razors themselves away for nothing because the cartridge refills are the real business.

I dumped Gillette a number of years ago once I tried a double-edge safety razor and realized how cheap the blades were and how bad Gillette was ripping us all off. You can buy a double-edge safety razor, keep it for years and years and get just as good of a shave and get 100 refill blades for $10.00 to $15.00, depending on the brand:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/astra-pla...-x-5/903179296

Gillette is a prime example of an inferior product being sold at a much higher price and making huge amounts of money just based on really good marketing & advertising. Every aspect of Gillette's cartridge-based razors are inferior to double-edge safety razors.

Old 01-16-2019, 11:52 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Need an ad for women telling them not to make fake rape accusations...Maybelline could do it..."Maybe its Maybelline. Or Maybe its Make Believe."
Or Gillete could do one telling black men not to be violent criminals and stop murdering other black men...A black guy could carjack a person, and another black man could stop him, and say "Not cool, Deshaun". Or show a drive by shooting where when the black guy pulls a gun in the car and aims it at a couole of black guys in front of a house, his black friend in the car stops him and says,"thats not how we treat others Tyrell"
Or they could do one telling Muslims not to be terrorists. A Muslim could be planting a bomb in a subway station, and another Muslim comes up and says " We don't do this anymore, Abood"
It would be the exact same thing. Demonizing a group using stereotypes, and virtue signaling.

Exactly!

Old 01-16-2019, 12:13 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I dumped Gillette a number of years ago once I tried a double-edge safety razor and realized how cheap the blades were and how bad Gillette was ripping us all off. You can buy a double-edge safety razor, keep it for years and years and get just as good of a shave and get 100 refill blades for $10.00 to $15.00, depending on the brand:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/astra-pla...-x-5/903179296
Ad or no ad, that right there is really good advice. (Except I prefer 7 AM Platinum over Astra, but if there was ever an area where opinions differ...) And you get the daily joy of using a quality implement, not a piece of streamlined plastic.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:26 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,564,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ad or no ad, that right there is really good advice. (Except I prefer 7 AM Platinum over Astra, but if there was ever an area where opinions differ...) And you get the daily joy of using a quality implement, not a piece of streamlined plastic.
I remember my dad using these razors. Just ordered some on Amazon. Double bonus if I like them. No more disposable razors and my wife would probably never us them.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:38 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
I remember my dad using these razors. Just ordered some on Amazon. Double bonus if I like them. No more disposable razors and my wife would probably never us them.
There's a learning curve, but once you have the knack...

Old 01-16-2019, 12:42 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's a learning curve, but once you have the knack...
for a real learning curve, you can't beat these..

Old 01-16-2019, 12:44 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
They probably want to target the women who need to shave on a regular basis.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Chuck the nonsense.

This is the [w]ussification of the American male. Another attempt to suck the testosterone right out of 'em. Pretty soon, we'll be like Sweden and Germany, where soft males can't even protect their women.

Newsflash: We strong women who BELONG in the boardroom, would know how to address a male (or female) colleague who attempted to speak for us. And I would be capable of keeping my man and sons in line if that were necessary.

Memo to Gillette: Stick to your business. You can start by addressing the fact that the women's Venus razor sells for 8 bucks more than the men's handle--okay?

Memo to men: We strong women like strong men. Keep grilling. And keep being men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies