Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 06:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The astounding thing is that they referenced Anna "I'm f-ing better than you" Kasparian, seemingly as a credible source to guilt men. You'd have to go pretty far right to find an equivalent of extreme political bias opposite of Anna. Jarred Taylor or Richard Spencer would be in the right neighborhood in terms of mindless political bias.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnAJ8R-R4I
That was the most masculine thing in the ad...having her in there for sex appeal.

She's hot and a psychotic Marxist (redundant, I know). Those chicks are usually keepers in the sack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2019, 06:19 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The old Mad Men era sexist ads did it to women but a lot of it was tongue and cheek.
Are you kidding me? Tongue in cheek, hardly. And using guilt, inferiority, sexism, etc. etc. etc. in ads targeting women still goes on. One would have to be blind and deaf not to notice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Those women are closet lesbians. And what they think matters not to me.
Ah, yes. It's OK to demean women and disparage their characters. But when men are the subject ... BOOM!

Quote:
I mean how stupid can you get?? That's my whole point. If a tampon commercial decided to be a PSA telling women, "You know girls, most of you suck at life and need to fix yourselves immediately!!" what do you suppose the reaction would be?
You've just described the feminine hygiene marketing MO. If you'd ever read a tampon ad, perhaps you wouldn't be making such silly statements.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:20 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I am more than happy to discuss tampon commercials, tampon use, alternatives to tampons, and a variety of other sanitary products if you need help understanding how this is not even close to the same thing.
Go back and look at the Gillette commercial and ask yourself, "What has this got to do with shaving hair off your face, chest and whatever else a man wants to shave?"

But that's not unusual. Beer commercials. Geico. They advertise using completely unrelated crap all the time. So is was it fun? Funny? Was it well calculated to put your target audience in a good buying mood? Hint: Men are suckers for people buttering them up telling them how awesome they are. Works on girls too, "Because I'm worth it!" Alternately, one of the best ways to get men to simply stop listening to you is a lecture. Ask any married woman if you doubt me.

Gillette makes mediocre to crappy razors and charges way too much for them. If you're suggesting that tampon makers are pulling shady crap, then I expect they've got a lot in common. Pretty sure it's all Proctor and Gamble, isn't it? You're welcome to boycott the bad tampons and I'll boycott the bad overpriced razors.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
I like some of this commercial, and am concerned about some of it.

Honestly, the scene of those 11ish year old boys running at full tilt is thrilling to me. HOW LOVELY!! LOOK AT THEM GO! Why is that followed by a boy sobbing in his mother's lap, about being bullied? Can't you show healthy boys running as fast as they can, woohoo LOOK at those beautiful kids run?

Some of the messages were good. Masculine men keeping other men in check is good if they're behaving badly.

But really. WHAT is wrong with a crew of very healthy active boys running down the street at full tilt?

Why are almost all of the "positive" images showing men and boys with an open mouthed deer in the headlights look, basically, with full traditionally female lips? Inactive, staring off confusedly?

How about men who are jumping into frigid waters to save others? Men who are rushing into burning buildings? Men who are lovingly coaching 4 year old soccer teams with good humor?

Besides a very few scenes where masculine men were keeping other men in check, um, no, this commercial is a no.

Last edited by ClaraC; 01-15-2019 at 06:31 PM..

Old 01-15-2019, 06:23 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Only half of the market is male. There are plenty of women who are raising the next generation of better men who might, just might relate to this ad.

godofthunder, seems like this could be helpful for you and yours.

https://www.wonkette.com/a-helpful-s...nt-gillette-ad

Old 01-15-2019, 06:25 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You've just described the feminine hygiene marketing MO. If you'd ever read a tampon ad, perhaps you wouldn't be making such silly statements.
Hey what do I know? But please link or point me in the direction of the tampon ad that spent the entire time guilt-tripping sh-tty moms (inevitably also guilting moms that are absolutely awesome because that's just how it works.) A message about how they need to get off their butts, stop being lazy and spend some quality time with their children. You know, the things that every woman really wants to hear.

I'm particularly curious to know how successful such an ad campaign was.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:28 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
I haven't seen the commercial but Rush played it this morning as I was driving. If I were a man, I'd be so insulted! They will lose a lot of business. I also heard a description elsewhere that white men were shown as the enemy while minorities were the good guys, which is racist.

I just buy a big bag of cheap no name razors when they go on sale. I've never been brand loyal

Old 01-15-2019, 06:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I haven't seen the commercial but Rush played it this morning as I was driving. If I were a man, I'd be so insulted! They will lose a lot of business.
I think Rush - or maybe someone else referenced the term "toxic masculinity". I expected that term to be used in this ad, and it wasn't.

So there IS that.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
On the opposite side, take a look at Axe commercials. They do what commercials are supposed to do. "Buy our crap and you'll be way more manly. Girls you've never met will want to tear your clothes off and have their way with you." That actually works. That puts the idea in people's heads. The kind of seed that leads people like my wife to buy a bunch of Axe stuff for me for Christmas -- cuz maybe the commercials carry some kernel of truth and it'll amp up my manliness and sexiness. That's intelligent marketing. Insulting or demeaning the people you're advertising to just isn't.
So many questions...

1. Grown, married men use Axe body spray? I thought that was a proudct that only insecure teenagers and frat boys bought.

2. Your wife likes the smell of Axe?

3. You, a grown man likes the smell of Axe?

4. Your wife, who I assume is an adult woman, actually thinks that buying Axe will make her husband manly?

5. You, a grown man, think those ads are the truth?

6. Assuming your wife actually believes those Axe ads... Why does she buy you body spray that she thinks will attract girls who want to tear off her husband's clothes?

7. Axe as a Christmas present? Interesting...

Old 01-15-2019, 06:33 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
That was the most masculine thing in the ad...having her in there for sex appeal.

She's hot and a psychotic Marxist (redundant, I know). Those chicks are usually keepers in the sack.
Tough to wake up to a cross-eyed bimbo, though. Not even Bubba went that low: Paula’s schnozz was more his speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies