Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2019, 05:38 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,398,506 times

Advertisements

Irrational anger after such an violent assault is normal. Irrational isn't rational!

this actor telling the world in an interview about his irrational anger was stupid. Liam always struck me as an unintelligent man in interviews. my suspicion has been confirmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 AM

6,467 posts, read 3,985,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Just offering some clarity here.

In "euro speak", crossed him doesn't mean crossing his path but rather messing with him. (As in "Chauncey was cross that his tea and crumpets fell off his tray while watching cricket on the telly"

I don't agree with his general point of view but he wasn't just out looking for a random black person minding their own business to attack for a week and fortunately never saw a single one.
He was still out hoping for a fight, just looking for anyone who looked at him wrong, bumped into him, looked shady, etc. But, y'know, only if they were black. So he could take whatever perceived slight he found and take his friend's rape out on them. He still was looking to take out his frustrations on someone black-- but in your eyes that's okay as long as they did something to "cross" him first? Nope, sorry, but thanks for trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
If it had been a white guy he would have been angry with white men—
Well, no. Because otherwise, since it was a man, he would've been angry with all men, right? Oh, wait, no, he wasn't. Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
He obviously didn't want to beat on most black men, he was looking for one that looked like the kind of man that could rape a woman. So it seems to me, that during those weeks, the black men he saw looked like good men, and not the type to assault a woman.
So what kind of person looks "like the kind of man that could rape a woman"?

Unfortunately, as many women have found out, it's apparently not the type you think. If you've gotten to this point in your life and still don't know that you can't judge someone by the way they look, I'm not sure what to say to help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Definitely TMI. And what was the point in saying that, anyway, since he doesn't feel that way now?
This is the part of the problem. Everybody probably has an inappropriate thought now and then. The point is that most people A. recognize almost immediately that the thought is inappropriate and self-correct (they have a sense of fairness), and B. don't think it's a good idea to say it out loud (they have tact and social awareness, plus self-restraint).

Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 AM

1,991 posts, read 901,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I read what Liam Neeson had to say carefully. It was a brutally frank admission for sure. He was admitting how a desire for revenge can overtake rationality.

Neeson would have been about 16 years old, when the so called 'troubles' began in northern Ireland. He would have grown up in a small, enclosed society driven by thoughts of revenge. Killing for nothing more than revenge of previous killings would have been all around him at that time.

The Irish are vengeful people, and can be violent. They obsess, and brood on things that happened hundreds of years ago. I kid you not, I know.

Those years growing up would have marked Neeson. But he is an intelligent man, who left all that behind, and left that small, insular society, and went out into the world. But I have no doubt he would have had some violent encounters in his youth. He is a very imposing guy, 6' 4" tall.

He says he went out not to just pick out some random black man to attack. He went out, hoping some random black man would attack him, so he could take his anger out on that man in particular. That doesn't make it right, but his desire for revenge overtook rational thought.

He is not a third generation Irish American, marching on St. Patrick's Day. He is a product of his upbringing, and what he did and saw many decades ago.

During an interview, he revealed something dark within him, which he knew was wrong, and he regretted. I admire his honesty, but he may come to realise he should have kept it to himself.
Enjoy your Brexit Englishman.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:00 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,514,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
We intend to.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 AM

6,348 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Though crime!! He committed thought crime!!

Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,433,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
I will.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:13 AM

43 posts, read 17,507 times
Wow. He should have just kept that to himself.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:24 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicDrifter View Post
If he didn't strike a black person, how did he act out his racial hatred?
Acted out in the sense that he was seeking to harm a Black person.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:24 AM

6,348 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet1975 View Post
Wow. He should have just kept that to himself.
Maybe it's just to get publicity for his new movie.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:31 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
He was still out hoping for a fight, just looking for anyone who looked at him wrong, bumped into him, looked shady, etc. But, y'know, only if they were black. So he could take whatever perceived slight he found and take his friend's rape out on them. He still was looking to take out his frustrations on someone black-- but in your eyes that's okay as long as they did something to "cross" him first? Nope, sorry, but thanks for trying.

Well, no. Because otherwise, since it was a man, he would've been angry with all men, right? Oh, wait, no, he wasn't. Interesting.

So what kind of person looks "like the kind of man that could rape a woman"?

Unfortunately, as many women have found out, it's apparently not the type you think. If you've gotten to this point in your life and still don't know that you can't judge someone by the way they look, I'm not sure what to say to help you out.
I know enough to be able to avoid men who would be likely to date rape a woman. I have always avoided men from machismo cultures. They are the types that feel they don't want to waste an erection, and that their manly skills are so amazing, that if they initiate sex with an unwilling woman, their penis could pleasure her in a way that would change her mind.

We don't know the circumstances surrounding Liam's friend's rape. Maybe it was a black man just angry at a white woman because of black slavery or just because she wasn't willing to be friendly to him.

Quote:
This is the part of the problem. Everybody probably has an inappropriate thought now and then. The point is that most people A. recognize almost immediately that the thought is inappropriate and self-correct (they have a sense of fairness), and B. don't think it's a good idea to say it out loud (they have tact and social awareness, plus self-restraint).
After 9-11, Americans were really angry with the Middle East and their Muslim terrorists. Harsh things were spoken out loud and actions were taken against American Muslims (and they are still viewed with suspicion)... so where was your outrage back then??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies