Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 01:11 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think you might not have this right.

During a shutdown, some contractors are not allowed to work because of the nature of their contracts. They don't bill, they don't get paid, and they also don't get back pay.

Some contractors can work during a shutdown and get pay as long as they are permitted and they are funded at the time of the shutdown.

Now, during a shutdown, contractors who are working are constantly invoicing the government. Usually every 2-4 weeks. During a shutdown, those payments for work previously performed don't get made because there is no one working at the government to authorize those payments. They then get paid very late.

Obama made some provision to get them quickly paid.

That is not the same as "back pay" for work you didn't do. No administration has ever paid contractors for being impacted by the shutdown.
I think I understand it perfectly. I never referenced pay for work that wasn't done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 01:13 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This comment above is really anyone needs to know on this subject. In other words, the media is trying to make a non-story into something and it's simply not. Really, this is business as usual.
While the story posted by the OP definitely had a negative Trump spin to it, there are various other media reports on the same story.

The fact of the matter is that some Senate democrats tried to tack on a provision to this latest "compromise." That provision would also provide financial protection to government contractors who were also jerked around because Congress can't get it's job done. The GOP asked that it be removed because they believe that Trump would not sign the entire bill with this piece in it. Whether he would or not, who knows, but his mouthpieces did not think he would.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think I understand it perfectly. I never referenced pay for work that wasn't done.
But that is what this thread is about.

Giving contractors parity with federal workers. Federal workers, who did not work for 35 days, got paid. The contractors did not. A bill was introduced to make that happen.

Your links were referencing late payments that Obama rectified. Not backpay.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:19 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Except that's not what this thread is about so you, in fact, don't understand it at all let alone "perfectly".

Old 02-14-2019, 01:24 PM

Quote:
But that is what this thread is about.

Giving contractors parity with federal workers. Federal workers, who did not work for 35 days, got paid. The contractors did not. A bill was introduced to make that happen.

Your links were referencing late payments that Obama rectified. Not backpay.
I don't think that that is what this thread is about.

I think this thread is about not paying contractors FOR WORK during the shutdown. That is the thread title, isn't it? FOR WORK.

Late payments are BACK pay.

As I stated in one of my earlier posts, I don't believe that Trump is going to not pay contractors for work, because as long as they have contracts (contractors sign contracts), the government is obligated to pay them, and the government will meet its obligations.

But I do believe that the poster I was having a discussion with was trying to argue that Obama didn't pay contractors FOR WORK during the shutdown, and that argument was false.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:26 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
While the story posted by the OP definitely had a negative Trump spin to it, there are various other media reports on the same story.

The fact of the matter is that some Senate democrats tried to tack on a provision to this latest "compromise." That provision would also provide financial protection to government contractors who were also jerked around because Congress can't get it's job done. The GOP asked that it be removed because they believe that Trump would not sign the entire bill with this piece in it. Whether he would or not, who knows, but his mouthpieces did not think he would.
Of course he wouldn't have signed it. Neither would his predecessors but now they can run a hit piece in the news saying "Trump refuses to pay contractors." It's a non-story. Stand by that or rather, it's a manufactured one.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Except that's not what this thread is about so you, in fact, don't understand it at all let alone "perfectly".
Except that that is what this thread is about. It says so in the thread title. FOR WORK. And you were trying to argue that Obama had not paid contractors FOR WORK during a shutdown, so it is okay if Trump does not pay contractors FOR WORK during a shutdown. And I was pointing out that Obama DID pay contractors FOR WORK during the shutdown.

So Yes, I understood perfectly.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Stiffing contractors is nothing new to the shyster in chief

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...utdown-backpay

So far, despite all the hurried negotiations over the details of border-security funding, Congress seems to be in agreement that the government will not shut down again on Friday, and has agreed to backpay some 800,000 federal workers the salaries they missed during the previous 35-day shutdown. But when it comes to the federal contractors who also went unpaid during that period—up to 580,000 people, according to one estimate—it gets trickier. “I’ve been told the president won’t sign” anything that guarantees them backpay, Senator Roy Blunt told reporters on Wednesday. “I guess federal contractors are different in his view than federal employees.”
Trump has a consistent history of not paying contractors for their work. What's new?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Except that that is what this thread is about. It says so in the thread title. FOR WORK. And you were trying to argue that Obama had not paid contractors FOR WORK during a shutdown, so it is okay if Trump does not pay contractors FOR WORK during a shutdown. And I was pointing out that Obama DID pay contractors FOR WORK during the shutdown.

You are correct, the title of the thread and the Vanity Fair piece says that. Further reading the many articles on this (as well as the Vanity Fair piece) this is for contractors who were out of work, and did not work. As far as I can tell and have read, there were no contractors that worked during the shutdown and did not/will not receive pay. Their payments from the government could be delayed due to the shutdown/backlog, but they will be paid.

Poor words by the Vanity Fair article.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:33 PM

45,411 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:

Stop digging, you're just making yourself look stupid. Even the contractors on here are telling you you're wrong. Or proving the only thing you read was the title and not what was being talked about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies