Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,664,669 times

Advertisements

We can't lay this one at Trump's feet.

Historically, federal contractors have never received back pay during a shutdown, weather closing, etc. There's actually no legal statute in place to make the funds shift over to them if work was not performed. That said, in previous shutdowns, no other person in Congress has ever decided to propose that contractors also be paid. This is a first (I think Sen. Mark Warner tried to spearhead this??).

I think it's admirable that members of Congress are finally starting to recognize the full suffering of a shutdown to Americans and not just the federal workers. The contractor (shadow) government workforce is almost as big as the federal workforce.

It would be great if they could pass some measure to pay them; however, I think it's going to take a lot of fiscal legal advice/research to see a way to make it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2019, 06:50 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,060,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
But we are paying 800,000 federal workers that were laid off for a month.
Personally I would require them to make up the lost time if they are going to be paid when they did not work. Many were working without pay that is different.

Old 02-14-2019, 06:59 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Stiffing contractors is nothing new to the shyster in chief

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...utdown-backpay

So far, despite all the hurried negotiations over the details of border-security funding, Congress seems to be in agreement that the government will not shut down again on Friday, and has agreed to backpay some 800,000 federal workers the salaries they missed during the previous 35-day shutdown. But when it comes to the federal contractors who also went unpaid during that period—up to 580,000 people, according to one estimate—it gets trickier. “I’ve been told the president won’t sign” anything that guarantees them backpay, Senator Roy Blunt told reporters on Wednesday. “I guess federal contractors are different in his view than federal employees.”

This really depends on the individual contractor and the contract.

The contract I'm on is a special project, so it was not impacted by the shutdown. Even if it had been, I would have been paid through my employer - I'm salaried - we just wouldn't have been able to bill any time for that month. I probably would have been "farmed out" to another project within my company for some/most/all of that time, as well.

Now, if contractors actually performed work during the shutdown and are not getting paid for that work.... That scenario is inexcusable regardless of who is in the White House.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:00 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Lightbulb Trump Is Refusing to Pay Contractors For Work During the Shutdown

Well, DUH!

Stiffing contractors is SOP for tRump.

They're little people.

They don't count in tRump's (and the GOP's) view.

And the right wing crackpot media tells you to hate them.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
This really depends on the individual contractor and the contract.

The contract I'm on is a special project, so it was not impacted by the shutdown. Even if it had been, I would have been paid through my employer - I'm salaried - we just wouldn't have been able to bill any time for that month. I probably would have been "farmed out" to another project within my company for some/most/all of that time, as well.

Now, if contractors actually performed work during the shutdown and are not getting paid for that work.... That scenario is inexcusable regardless of who is in the White House.
You must work with a company with several contracts?

When I was a contractor (defense), I spent 15 years with one small company that subbed on a one very large, lucrative contract. If that contract had been impacted by the shutdown, my company had no means to move me to another project and they had very little overhead/profit that they could just pay their 23 employees with for any more than probably a week.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:16 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,577,118 times
If they're not working on direct billable projects, employees are paid by the consulting firm as an SG&A expense if they are told to come into the office. They can come in and work on contract proposals.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:17 AM

134 posts, read 113,609 times
Contractors get paid for performing a service and/or providing a product. If they did not work to do such during the shutdown, then they should not get paid. Every contract employee I have ever worked with understood that; if they do not like it, they can find another avenue of employment.

Some of your brought up DOD contractors, but as far as I know, the shutdown did not affect any DOD contractors, only contractors of certain agencies like Homeland Security.

“I guess federal contractors are different in his view than federal employees.” Yes, they are very different than federal employees.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:19 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Stiffing contractors is nothing new to the shyster in chief

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...utdown-backpay

So far, despite all the hurried negotiations over the details of border-security funding, Congress seems to be in agreement that the government will not shut down again on Friday, and has agreed to backpay some 800,000 federal workers the salaries they missed during the previous 35-day shutdown. But when it comes to the federal contractors who also went unpaid during that period—up to 580,000 people, according to one estimate—it gets trickier. “I’ve been told the president won’t sign” anything that guarantees them backpay, Senator Roy Blunt told reporters on Wednesday. “I guess federal contractors are different in his view than federal employees.”
Wont sign what?

Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
But we are paying 800,000 federal workers that were laid off for a month.
Shouldn’t be too hard to make up that work. Non essential Federal workers don’t do much of anything.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wont sign what?
A bill that allows the federal contractors to get paid. Not sure if there is one, but after the last shutdown, some senators had tacked that on a proposed CR bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies