Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 08:17 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
How about taking a more centrist approach. Germany identifies people suitable for trade education and people who are suitable for college education at an early age. The people get trade training for free and also get a small stipend while training ( and nursing there is a trade rather than college degree). Many trade costs are absorbed by employers who want a well trained future workforce. Only those suitable for college get free education. Those who are identified as not suitable for college but still want to g can pay for their own education.

Maybe a modified version of it can be used in USA. Make trade education free/ almost free or affordable so that people who are not suitable for college don't waste money and time and then drop out. And make college education in fields required here like computers, other STEM fields and healthcare related fields subsidized for those students below a certain a certain income threshold. But if you want to study in a field that is not in need but for your own pleasure, you can very well pay for it.
Something along these lines is definitely the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 08:22 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Free childcare is a Godsend for families that don't have non-working relatives readily available and willing, because obtaining it otherwise is so effin' expensive.

Free anything is always a godsend to those who need it. The question is not only the morality but the economic practicality of taking it by force from those who have it and giving it to those who need it.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
How about taking a more centrist approach. Germany identifies people suitable for trade education and people who are suitable for college education at an early age. The people get trade training for free and also get a small stipend while training ( and nursing there is a trade rather than college degree). Many trade costs are absorbed by employers who want a well trained future workforce. Only those suitable for college get free education. Those who are identified as not suitable for college but still want to g can pay for their own education.

Maybe a modified version of it can be used in USA. Make trade education free/ almost free or affordable so that people who are not suitable for college don't waste money and time and then drop out. And make college education in fields required here like computers, other STEM fields and healthcare related fields subsidized for those students below a certain a certain income threshold. But if you want to study in a field that is not in need but for your own pleasure, you can very well pay for it.
Oh my lord, govt committees picking careers and funding them with everyones money is centrist now? lol
How about people making their own education choices in a free market, some of which may be provided/funded by employers who are in need of skilled labor

Old 02-20-2019, 08:30 AM

10,480 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
You notice that things you consider a "fantasy" are often realized quite workably by other countries, countries where the emphasis is on improving the lives of citizens, instead of enriching the already rich?
Fine then, move to those other countries if they are so great.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
You are confusing individual anecdotes with large population studies.

Like the rare smoker who lived into his 90's with no lung problems or cancer or the rare non smoker who develops lung cancer, these are anecdotes. But the controlled population studies show that if you smoke you ar more likely to die early from emphysema or lung cancer than a non-smoker, plain and simple. We should not develop policies based on individual cases.
I'm confusing nothing. I never claimed every student will pursue higher education.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
So you're saying middle income people who could afford to send their C kids to community college should have other people pay for it anyway?
Even pointing out the program to you, you insist.........either most parents would still be paying now or many will simply start paying after they graduate..........just like they do now.

Yeah, I support that program.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh my lord, govt committees picking careers and funding them with everyones money is centrist now? lol
That's how the Soviet Union used to do things.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:43 AM

10,480 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Absolutely. It won't affect my corpse (or my wallet) at all.
Same here. I never wanted to have kids for the very reason that the world is going to be a very cruel place in about 100 years from now. I can rest in peace that I left no offspring to suffer. Because in the end, all of these poor people who have kids, I'm just going to say, if a war breaks out, whose kids do you think will be rounded up first and put on the front lines? Won't be the rich elite kids, I'll tell you that much!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:47 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
And having marginal students go on to college will help that? All it will do is dumb down the level of college.

The C students need to go to a six-month vocational training program.
Unless the C student's parents are wealthy in which case they would hire the kid a tutor and get him/her enrolled in an Ivy League college.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:54 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
So you're saying middle income people who could afford to send their C kids to community college should have other people pay for it anyway?
No.
I am saying that how one pays for any college should be between the person attending and the educational institution.
Period.

Family income should have no bearing on financing.

If parents can pay and want to pay, they can and will.
If parents can’t or won’t, students will either self-pay or, in a better world, find programs/prospective employers willing to subsidize their education so that they have a secured position when they graduate.

Right now in this country there is an approaching crisis of people without enough money to retire because they focused on saving for their kids’ college instead.
Despite those efforts, their kids are still saddled with all kinds of student loan debt.

So, no retirement savings and no way for the kids to help out because they are paying off tens of thousands of dollars in student loans.

And this should continue as is because why?

People can scoff all they want but at least the people mentioned in the OP recognize that there are huge systemic problems that impact all aspects of people’s lives and the economic well-being of this country.

I would really like just one person to explain how offering free childcare (for example) would cost more than continued SNAP and other benefits for people who cannot get quality jobs due to not having access to same.

Shouldn’t the goal be to make it as easy as possible for people to be self-sustaining?

It would seem not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies