Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 08:59 AM

10,481 posts, read 4,046,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am not sure childcare should be free, or that subsidies should stop at $50,000, but I think that any amount over something like 5% or 7% of AGI spent on childcare should be subsidized, and I think any child over 3 should be enrolled in free preschool even if their parents don't work.
I'd like to know why is child care so damn expensive to begin with? Nearly 10,000 per year in some cases. Isn't that a bit much? What is causing this high inflation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2019, 09:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I'd like to know why is child care so damn expensive to begin with? Nearly 10,000 per year in some cases. Isn't that a bit much? What is causing this high inflation?
Fed policies.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:05 AM

10,773 posts, read 4,351,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Last time around Donald Trump promised us a free wall. Several idiots bit.
The wall promise was easy to chant and make headlines with, but the main promise was to undo Obama.
Obama enforced more regulations than any President in history.
Trump removed more regulations than any President in history.
And Trump removed the Obamacare individual mandate.
That's basically Obama's entire legacy, gone!

Old 02-20-2019, 09:05 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,980,049 times
Quote:
I paid well over that. More like 27K per year per child for daycare. High inflation? Many of these daycares require the teachers have masters degrees and at the very least Bachelor degrees. They need to be paid reasonable wages. Plus healthcare, 401K etc... While I agree daycare is out of control I do understand why it costs 10K per year .. I mean these people are watching children. 10K per year seems pretty reasonable to me.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:06 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Oh my lord, govt committees picking careers and funding them with everyones money is centrist now? lol
How about people making their own education choices in a free market, some of which may be provided/funded by employers who are in need of skilled labor

If you look at one extreme of college for all irrespective of their grades and mental ability and other side wanting everyone to pay on their own even if they do not have the ability to pay but are able to pass the academic muster, yes this is a centrist approach.

Look at what is happening now. People getting into colleges when they should not and then drop put ans waste resources. And are saddled with tuition debt. They should have gone to vocational schools.
Or the scarcity in tech and other STEM areas. We want engineers but can't produce enough and hence import them. And people want to restrict immigration. So why not have develop the talent within USA and make those fields more affordable. Instead we dole out federal loans for all and when a student does a 4 year 200K college in 13th century Italian art and cant find a job, they go for loan forgiveness jobs that pay minimum wage. And the loan forgiveness is paid by tax payers like you and me. So why not pay for college in the fields the US needs and let people pay for their own wants.

By being neither a staunch democrat or republican I have the ability to compromise and work with both and look at what is good for the country.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Where did I say that? But marginal students, regardless of class, should not expect taxpayers to send them through college. It ruins college for the B and above students. Let the marginals go to vocational training.
uh huh...and you've researched this extensively and found that kids who get C's aren't bright enough for college right? Please share the data that supports that, I'd love to read it.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
I paid well over that. More like 27K per year per child for daycare. High inflation? Many of these daycares require the teachers have masters degrees and at the very least Bachelor degrees. They need to be paid reasonable wages. Plus healthcare, 401K etc... While I agree daycare is out of control I do understand why it costs 10K per year .. I mean these people are watching children. 10K per year seems pretty reasonable to me.
That is reasonable for an urban area. My stepson paid $1,500 a month in San Francisco and that was for a small daycare without any credentialed instructors, he said it was a 'heck of a bargain'.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Because childcare providers want to make money, just like everyone else.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:16 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
If you look at one extreme of college for all irrespective of their grades and mental ability and other side wanting everyone to pay on their own even if they do not have the ability to pay but are able to pass the academic muster, yes this is a centrist approach.

Look at what is happening now. People getting into colleges when they should not and then drop put ans waste resources. And are saddled with tuition debt. They should have gone to vocational schools.
Or the scarcity in tech and other STEM areas. We want engineers but can't produce enough and hence import them. And people want to restrict immigration. So why not have develop the talent within USA and make those fields more affordable. Instead we dole out federal loans for all and when a student does a 4 year 200K college in 13th century Italian art and cant find a job, they go for loan forgiveness jobs that pay minimum wage. And the loan forgiveness is paid by tax payers like you and me. So why not pay for college in the fields the US needs and let people pay for their own wants.

By being neither a staunch democrat or republican I have the ability to compromise and work with both and look at what is good for the country.
Regarding the bold... Talent development is anathema to US public K-12 education, and has been since the 1960s. More info in this post:

Post #128 in another thread: The Incubus of the Sixties

With SJWs controlling Ed School faculties, etc., the goal for the past 50+ years has been equal educational outcomes (out of "fairness") which would then supposedly beget social cooperation/cohesion, rather than academic excellence and talent development. And the US has paid a very heavy price for that:
Quote:
"U.S. millennials performed horribly.

That might even be an understatement, given the extent of the American shortcomings. No matter how you sliced the data – by class, by race, by education – young Americans were laggards compared to their international peers. In every subject, U.S. millennials ranked at the bottom or very close to it, according to a new study by testing company ETS.

“We were taken aback,” said ETS researcher Anita Sands. “We tend to think millennials are really savvy in this area. But that’s not what we are seeing.”

...This exam [OECD's PIAAC], given in 23 countries, assessed the thinking abilities and workplace skills of adults. It focused on literacy, math and technological problem-solving. The goal was to figure out how prepared people are to work in a complex, modern society. And U.S. millennials performed horribly...

But surely America’s brightest were on top?

Nope.

U.S. millennials with master’s degrees and doctorates did better than their peers in only three countries, Ireland, Poland and Spain...The ETS study noted that a decade ago the skill level of American adults was judged mediocre. “Now it is below even that.” So Millennials are falling even further behind.

Top-scoring US millennials – the 90th percentile on the PIAAC test – were at the bottom internationally, ranking higher only than their peers in Spain.
The bottom scorers (10th percentile) also lagged behind their peers."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.caf173a2db29

Old 02-20-2019, 09:26 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
uh huh...and you've researched this extensively and found that kids who get C's aren't bright enough for college right? Please share the data that supports that, I'd love to read it.
You are way too attacking in your tone.

The fact is that high school students who squeak by with below-average grades will, as a group, do poorly in college compared to their B and above classmates. As it stands now, only about 60% of those entering college graduate with a degree six - not four but SIX - years later, the rest having amassed tens of thousands of debt with little to no marketable skills. I assure you that the C students are pulling that average down. Why would that be so hard to believe?

A C student wants to go to college? Fine? But not on the taxpayer's dime. It's a poor risk-reward "investment" and with resources limited, it's much better to apply that investment to students who are more likely to succeed. That would be the high school students with better grades, who have already demonstrated they can master classroom instruction.

This isn't rocket science here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies