Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
..a engine blew on landing in Houston on Sunday...same plane that crashed
Looks like the Hysterical Meltdown is contagious -- but we already knew that.

Is it the word "Boeing"??? All Boeing aircraft should be grounded??? Even Leftists (except for Ocasio-Cortez of course) are not demanding all Boeing Aircraft be grounded.
The plane in Houston with the engine problem on landing was a 737-900

A United Airlines flight was coming from Newark, New Jersey to Houston when one of its engines reportedly caught fire.

HINT -- the grounded planes are NOT 737-900's

How is the Boeing 737 Max 8 different from other Boeing 737 airplanes? |CBS News - 3/12/19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,124,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The 777 is a Boeing product.
LOL poster ran into his/her own door.

BREAKING: ITALY GROUNDS THE JET IN A CONSPIRACY ALONG WITH OTHER 1ST WORLD COUNTRIES AND MOST AMERICAN AIRLINES TO OVERTHROW THE AMERICAN ECONOMY AND AIDE CHINA. ALSO, WATER MAKING THE FROGS GAY.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:19 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I haven't registered any hysterical meltdown on social media or the news stories -- or even here.

Folks who are scared of flying in the first place are going to be more scared but I am not sure that classifies as hysterical meltdown.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I haven't registered any hysterical meltdown on social media or the news stories -- or even here.

Folks who are scared of flying in the first place are going to be more scared but I am not sure that classifies as hysterical meltdown.
Yea, possible deathtrap planes turning into warheads and hitting high population areas and children, it's all hysteria.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
A 6 month old plane with two accidents already and you tell us we are overreacting. WOW! Again, politicizing safety! Really shocked.
Let's see now - today is March 12, 2019.
First delivered flights were in May of 2017.

Yep ...... that's 6 months by my count.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Let's see now - today is March 12, 2019.
First delivered flights were in May of 2017.

Yep ...... that's 6 months by my count.
With 2 incidents. 1 confirmed being Boeing's fault. Your posts are saved for if a 3rd comes down. Imagine you telling someone it's going to be alright on this forum and they get on these planes and die. My hands are blood free.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:30 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
The planes in the US are still flying. None crashed. Interesting it was foreign operators that pranged them.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:32 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Again the loss of 2 aircraft out of a small fleet under similar circumstances calls out that there may well be a significant problem. These were both very rare events. So two of them in a brief period calls for caution.

On the other hand the powers that be should move heaven and earth to resolve the matter quickly. Both to get the Boeing aircraft back flying and to make sure it is not more wide spread than the Max 8.

My view after a life of building computerized mechanical equipment is there will be a problem found. May be an interaction between man and machine but it will not turn out to be a random occurrence.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
1. The FAA should be the appropriate mechanism to ground an aircraft from service.
2. The NTSB should provide the FAA with the evidence necessary to proclaim a grounding, and;
3. Elected officials should allow the above, 1 and 2, to make the call.

That's my .02 cents worth..

(but of course Federal Agencies ARE deep state, so take that with your brand of politics, lol)
The FAA (in it's infinite wisdom) decided in 2011 that the 737-MAX pilots didn't need to go through Flight Simulator Training on the new software on the MAX.

My .02 cents worth is that Pilots tend to have a God complex - they often feel they know it all and don't need new training on a new aircraft. It's cheaper for Boeing to not do the retraining and the FAA complied.

I'm not saying there were no errors at all .... I'm saying that it's interesting that Foreign Pilots may seriously need the training and it wouldn't hurt for US Pilots to make absolutely sure that they know the new software either.

Feinstein is causing a panic that is probably totally out of line and it's causing a lot of anxiety and harm.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby

Is there anyone here that actually thinks that Boeing Air is willing to deal with the massive legal problems involved IF they had even a small suspicion of any danger to this aircraft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes.

If you think a large corporation wouldn't make profit-oriented risk/reward tradeoff judgments that lead to decisions to put people at risk, then you just haven't been paying attention. Information asymmetry is in their favor, and if they think things are murky enough to where their legal team's could beat it, they'll absolutely roll with a situation that puts profits over people.

By the way, two brand new jets of the same new class with highly experienced pilots dropping from the sky in close time proximity under similar circumstances should be cause for concern. This is highly unusual. Yes, it could just be coincidence. But the prudent thing to do if we put people first would be to ground until an investigation is completed. But we don't put people first.
Bottom line is always about profits and staying business for Corporations.

On the other hand - planes falling out of the sky and 100's of people dead as a result is NEVER going to be a "profit" glide path. The Lawsuits go into the Multi-Millions and take years of Litigation. Been there, done that with a lot of Depositions. It's heartbreaking.

Let's add to that the Engineers and Line workers making a machine that you believe is deliberately or "for profit" is Killing 100's of people --
You believe those people will just shrug about that. I know differently

I KNOW what the stress of being an Engineer that signs off personally on an aircraft -- even an aircraft that carries the President of the United States.

That Engineer or those who work on any design or execution, carry that burden of that safety DAILY.
The LAST thing they care about is "profit".

The FAA - in their infinite wisdom
Made the decision (for whatever reason) that NEW Software on an Aircraft didn't need new training.

I've see this movie before ...... AND I've seen the Movie about the Pilots that think they know it all and don't need No Stinking New Training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies