Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 08:07 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
An aircraft makes money when it flies. China has state run airlines. They can ground whatever they want and not worry about cost. Airlines have a significant dollar amount invested in new equipment and they can’t recoup the cost with the airplanes sitting on the ground.

So I believe the airplane should still fly, unless Boeing or the FAA finds an issue.

The MD-11 had a bad safety record but the plane was still successful and many still fly in air cargo configuration.
That opinion will be in the minority, you can bet that grounding of that aircraft will be a bipartisan issue. Two crashes a few months apart is more than a coincidence, both on takeoff in good weather.
I do agree the FAA needs to investigate thoroughly. This is a tough decision for the FAA and congress needs to be involved until a complete investigation is completed. Please don't compare the US to China when it comes to safety, this is not about cost but grounding will be expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That opinion will be in the minority, you can bet that grounding of that aircraft will be a bipartisan issue. Two crashes a few months apart is more than a coincidence, both on takeoff in good weather.
I do agree the FAA needs to investigate thoroughly. This is a tough decision for the FAA and congress needs to be involved until a complete investigation is completed. Please don't compare the US to China when it comes to safety, this is not about cost but grounding will be expensive.
Actually it can absolutely be a coincidence, but more likely a pilot error issue.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:17 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Actually it can absolutely be a coincidence, but more likely a pilot error issue.
That still a big coincidence and certainly worthy of much more investigation, two identical aircraft within 6 months.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
As a flyer with over 5 million miles and a small plane pilot and an engineer with lots of experience on reliability I would shut it down. Not for long. Just until the facts are straight and understood to the degree they can be.

In the interim I would not fly one.

The first one can be explained away as just bad luck and statistics. As soon as there is a second...Shut down until understood.

This is a very safe and reliable industry. Let us not screw around with that. If we are not sure...let us get sure. Boeing and the airlines will survive.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That still a big coincidence and certainly worthy of much more investigation, two identical aircraft within 6 months.
What is the safety record of both airlines. I read that lion air is 4th worst in the world.

I don't know the cause of the crash. No one does yet, but plenty are jumping to cause with 0 basis to back it. Good troubleshooters don't jump to cause. They gather facts and ask the right questions.
What changed, what's different?
When did it start?
What's it doing that it shouldn't be doing?
Is it happening to like equipment or systems?

In this case both happened shortly after take off and that is a good place to start looking. It provides a time line. Look at maintenance systems and procedures between flights? If it is a sensor issue, what company and where was the sensor manufactured. Is it on other planes? Is it also giving bad data on other models? If not why not? Different application, location, etc.?

We had a machine that was supper reliable. We after years of use installed an upgrade. It didn't take long for the machine to start brain farting and crapping out. The upgrade word fine on all other machines it was applied to. (I can't name the machine because of terms of retirement). After months of the brainiacs who went to engineering universities, screwing around, jumping to cause and guessing, they finally listened to the operators.

The upgrade was sensitive to heat. They put the MCC for the upgrade in the one place where mill a/c didn't cover. The operators took to opening the doors on the mcc during night shifts. That helped just enough to let the upgrade run.
What changed? Whats different? When is it happening? Those engineers all said it was a coincidence that it was worse during the day. A machine doesn't know day from night. They thought that if techs were opening doors then they were foolish. It did nothing to help. (a safety violation)

This could be a design flaw or a component flaw or a failure in procedure or maintenance.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:38 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I bet she is the most popular Senator today in several States. I have never heard of such a thing before - we could call this "unprecedented" and where is her rational for this?
Is is just that she wants a News Story? Is it that she is totally Senile?

U.S. senator calls on FAA to ground Boeing 737 MAX 8 |Reuters - 3/11/19

Is there anyone here that actually thinks that Boeing Air is willing to deal with the massive legal problems involved IF they had even a small suspicion of any danger to this aircraft?

The Lawsuits are so MASSIVE that any "grounding" is a very, very, very Serious business.

Unbelievable

So is crashing a new design that may well have design/operating issues.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
You dont think that maybe, just maybe, China is doing this just to hurt Boeing and the US? I mean seriously China is the single greatest producer of absolute crap in the world.

Based on what has Feinstein made this call? Does she have inside information? We know this happened because of a manufacturing or design defect? It absolutely wasn't due to human error? Lack of maintenance and or repair? Procedures not being followed? A natural event like a bird strike to an engine?

Politicians grandstanding completely undermine any rational process.
The 737 Max 8 is Boeing’s most important commercial jet and China is Boeing’s most important market.
China is positioned to be the only $ trillion market and it needs 7,690 commercial jets. When China talks airline manufactures listen.

There are 4700 737 Max 8s on order right now.

Boeing has not grounded these planes. If they are mistaken, Boeing will be toast and the trade imbalances will feel the enormous impact.

Boeing trains pilots in the US and all over the world.

About 6 years ago, Boeing advised all carriers to cease flying the Dreamliner until they could figure out what was causing in air fires. It was eventually determined to be a battery issue. Hope their track record persists.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:

Always the 'go-to' when the pilots are dead, eh?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The more and more you read about it, it looks like pilot error who aren't used to the new technology on the plane...
Boeing trains the pilots.

The 2 crashes could be a very unfortunate coincidence.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Always the 'go-to' when the pilots are dead, eh?
No but it is if not the number 1 cause in the top 3. The Crash in San Francisco is a damned good example of error and not following existing procedures.

As a troubleshooter in my previous job it normally, when root cause was pursued to the end, the human component. maintenance and repair either not done on time or done incorrectly. Operational procedures either not followed or not trained properly to them correctly.

At this point Im not blaming anyone, I am simply challenging the chicken littles to think instead of panic. No real data or facts have been released as of yet. Being screaming I won't fly on Boeing because they make an unsafe product. Boeing has a stellar track record. China grounding the 737 max? Well China has anything but a good safety record and several of their airlines are also rated the most unsafe. I dont avoid aircraft, I avoid airlines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies