Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 12:46 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,768,035 times

Advertisements

Why not Havana Cuba or Toronto Canada or London. Why would he come to the United States that supposedly according to many on this forum has an inferior medical system. I don’t get it?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ged-valve.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 01:04 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
He was already in the US, in Miami, on tour. He is not coming here for the surgery. It seems like it was a sudden unexpected need for surgery. Doctors had been advising him not to tour, but he tried to anyways.

Eta: So I see he was seen in Miami day after the announcement, not on tour yet. (It's late). Does it say where he was when he was getting the news from the doctor? The last time he was in the UK? Curious since it's a long enough flight to make me wonder when he got to the US.

Perhaps it was simply severe and urgent enough (certainly possible when dealing with things like heart valves) to not be able to take the longer flights to such places, and I would imagine that he could just pay for it outright wherever he may be?

Last edited by latimeria; 04-02-2019 at 01:13 AM..

Old 04-02-2019, 01:08 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Heat surgery is never a good thing no matter where you have it.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:17 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
Isnt he a permanent US resident?

Old 04-02-2019, 01:22 AM

14,783 posts, read 8,117,863 times
Senator Rand Paul says the Free Market pushed him to Canada for surgery.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:32 AM

Huh, he has a 31-year-old girlfriend (and 2 kids with her now) that he bought a penthouse for in NYC. So I would guess it's not uncommon for him to be here in the States, and then if he has it here, afterward he could go recuperate at the penthouse or the like.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...russian-model/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...olling-stones/

Old 04-02-2019, 01:42 AM

209 posts, read 160,404 times
Actually, this is nothing new. Many of the Saudi Royal family come to the US for treatment
as well. As an immigrant myself, the ruling class and elite from my country choose to get
treatment in the US, the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic are popular destinations. They go
out of their way to get treatment in the US, well to be honest, the US has the best medical care
in the world, specially OR procedures.

On a side note, a buddy of mine met different doctors from different countries in a research symposium
and chatted about thier school days. These doctors came from at least 10 different countries and
they all said that their country patterned their medical education after the US medical schools.
All their references and textbooks were all from the US. They loved the US medical education.
The US is on a different level, it is above and beyond any country when it comes to medical care.
When it comes to health care and dental care I might add, America is the envy of the world. The one that's
easiest to spot is dental care, those British teeth J/K lol. Gotta love the Brits.

Unfortunately, America's health care took a ding with Obama care. Obama care is a disaster. Obama almost
single handedly ruin health care. It's still hanging on but with the current liberal idiots, they will forever ruin
the best healthcare in the world if they implement government healthcare for all. If you think the VA is bad now,
just wait and see when over 300 million people have VA quality healthcare.
Folks, don't let the government run the entire healthcare industry.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:07 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Pretty sure Mick Jagger can afford the best medical care anywhere in the world, even if he flies them in.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:09 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,703,315 times
He could get excellent surgery in the UK (a stent placed in his heart) but why wouldn't he choose the US? He is a dual citizen and has an American girlfriend and his kids are US citizens. Yesterday he was on the beach in Miami with his kids. His US tour was to start this month. Seems that he has more ties to the US now. Everybody knows US health care is great--if you're rich.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Country! View Post
Actually, this is nothing new. Many of the Saudi Royal family come to the US for treatment
as well. As an immigrant myself, the ruling class and elite from my country choose to get
treatment in the US, the Mayo Clinic and Cleveland Clinic are popular destinations. They go
out of their way to get treatment in the US, well to be honest, the US has the best medical care
in the world, specially OR procedures.

On a side note, a buddy of mine met different doctors from different countries in a research symposium
and chatted about thier school days. These doctors came from at least 10 different countries and
they all said that their country patterned their medical education after the US medical schools.
All their references and textbooks were all from the US. They loved the US medical education.
The US is on a different level, it is above and beyond any country when it comes to medical care.
When it comes to health care and dental care I might add, America is the envy of the world. The one that's
easiest to spot is dental care, those British teeth J/K lol. Gotta love the Brits.

Unfortunately, America's health care took a ding with Obama care. Obama care is a disaster. Obama almost
single handedly ruin health care. It's still hanging on but with the current liberal idiots, they will forever ruin
the best healthcare in the world if they implement government healthcare for all. If you think the VA is bad now,
just wait and see when over 300 million people have VA quality healthcare.
Folks, don't let the government run the entire healthcare industry.
Random info related to this post: American teeth are about the same as British teeth, as far as health goes. Theirs may possibly look worse aesthetically for some(not as many whiteners used, etc.), but the same in the way that really counts here.
https://www.deltadental.com/grinmag/...can-teeth.html

As for the rest you wrote concerning this situation...I would guess it has more to do with having a NY girlfriend and kids in this situation, not necessarily medical tourism so to speak. And it's hard to quantify who is best when it comes to healthcare by country, but data suggests that things might not be as rosy as you suppose.

"This collection of charts and a related brief explore a number of different metrics used to look at health outcomes, quality of care, and access to services. Inconsistent or unavailable data and imperfect metrics make it difficult to firmly judge system-wide health quality in the U.S., but a review of the data we do have suggests that the system is improving across each of these dimensions, though it continues to lag behind comparably wealthy and sizable countries in many respects."

https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...ic-stroke-2015

It was like this before ACA, which started in 2010.

"A 2009 analysis from the Urban Institute found that the quality of healthcare in America at that time was a bit of a “mixed bag”—faring relatively well in areas such as cancer care, but lagging in mortality rates from treatable and preventable diseases."

https://www.ajmc.com/contributor/jul...with-the-world

Last edited by latimeria; 04-02-2019 at 02:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies