Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 01:03 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Drama.
Drama that’s already occurred in some places that have experienced outbreaks. Drama starring formerly anti vax parents realizing the threat of measles isn’t zero as they assumed and causing them to freak when vaccines run out. So, yes, much drama ensues.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:07 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,456,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Addressing preventable diseases does not preclude consideration of those that are not. They are not mutually exclusive. That is why sick kids should be kept home. Vaccines mean fewer episodes of illness.
I agree but you can't because we also have a number of mandated school days. We're getting our mandates crossed. lol

Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
For anyone interested, here’s a study of rates of autism in MMR vaccinated kids and those not vaccinated:

https://www.autismspeaks.org/science...accinated-kids

TLDR version:

In the largest-ever study of its kind, researchers again found that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine did not increase risk for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). This proved true even among children already considered at high risk for the disorder.

In all, the researchers analyzed the health records of 95,727 children, including more than 15,000 children unvaccinated at age 2 and more than 8,000 still unvaccinated at age 5. Nearly 2,000 of these children were considered at risk for autism because they were born into families that already had a child with the disorder.

“Taken together, some dozen studies have now shown that the age of onset of ASD does not differ between vaccinated and unvaccinated children, the severity or course of ASD does not differ between vaccinated and unvaccinated children, and now the risk of ASD recurrence in families does not differ between vaccinated and unvaccinated children.”
That's great news but I am curious, for obvious reasons, who funded the study? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:26 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,954,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
That's great news but I am curious, for obvious reasons, who funded the study? Thanks.
The study is not vaccinate vs unvaccinated.

It is those who did not receive MMR. There is not mention of other vaccine status. SO these kids ar not vaccine free.

Study funded by: This project was funded by the
National Institute of Mental Health, National
Institutes of Health, and the US Department of
Health and Human Services under contract HHSN-
271-2010-00033-C.

Authored by:
All authors have
completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for
Disclosure of Potential Conflicts of Interest. Dr Jain,
Ms Marshall, and Mr Kelly report being employees
of The Lewin Group.Ms Buikema and Dr Bancroft
are employees of Optum. Optum is a wholly owned
subsidiary of UnitedHealth Group and The Lewin
Group is an Optum company. The Lewin Group
operates with editorial independence. No other
disclosures are reported.

The Lewin Group is a consulting firm, not medical researchers or scientists
Accelerating Healthcare Transformation For Real-World Impact
The Lewin Group provides health care and human services policy analytics and consulting to institutions, communities and governments. A premier national health care and human services consulting firm, The Lewin Group finds answers and solves problems for leading organizations in the public, non-profit and private sectors.

Optum Health, another consulting firm, not medical researchers or scientists
https://www.optum.com/about.html
We are a leading health services innovation company. Our aspiration is to improve experiences and outcomes for everyone we serve while reducing the total cost of care.

So a govt-funded study performed by govt-connected consulting firms. Hmm.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:28 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Drama that’s already occurred in some places that have experienced outbreaks. Drama starring formerly anti vax parents realizing the threat of measles isn’t zero as they assumed and causing them to freak when vaccines run out. So, yes, much drama ensues.
Meanwhile while you’re wringing your hands about a small percentage of the population not being vaccinated during an outbreak of what was once a normal childhood relatively benign illness that has led to zero deaths thus far and dreaming about taking away their right to attend school if they do not get those vaccines, people are dying many preventable deaths, drowning, getting in car accident, getting hit by cars. Yet, you’re so worried about measles that you feel it is worth it to take people’s rights away so that you can get a teeny tiny bit of extra protection. Yes, drama. Hope that no one in your family ever suffers a vaccine reaction and you find yourself in the place where many others have with no one believing you.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Meanwhile while you’re wringing your hands about a small percentage of the population not being vaccinated during an outbreak of what was once a normal childhood relatively benign illness that has led to zero deaths thus far and dreaming about taking away their right to attend school if they do not get those vaccines, people are dying many preventable deaths, drowning, getting in car accident, getting hit by cars. Yet, you’re so worried about measles that you feel it is worth it to take people’s rights away so that you can get a teeny tiny bit of extra protection. Yes, drama. Hope that no one in your family ever suffers a vaccine reaction and you find yourself in the place where many others have with no one believing you.
No ones right not to vaccinate is at risk. That’s been said over and over and over again. Whether waivers exist or disappear tomorrow doesn’t effect your right to refuse any or all vaccines.

I can protect my kids from drowning by teaching them to swim. I can protect my kids with the safest car seats and cars available and by being a safe driver. I can protect them from getting hit by a car by teaching them to look both ways and not to play in the street.

But I’m supposed to be ok with unvaccinated kids being around them at daycare before they’re old enough to get vaccinated? Nope. Not going to happen. You don’t get to choose for my kids, just your own.

Old 05-06-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
No ones right not to vaccinate is at risk. That’s been said over and over and over again. Whether waivers exist or disappear tomorrow doesn’t effect your right to refuse any or all vaccines.
Oh please.

Quote:
I can protect my kids from drowning by teaching them to swim. I can protect my kids with the safest car seats and cars available and by being a safe driver. I can protect them from getting hit by a car by teaching them to look both ways and not to play in the street.
You speak about your kids but what about kids who never learn to swim or those who can’t afford the safest car seats or car, who still get hit by cars in spite of taking precautions because the streets around them do not have safe places to cross? It sounds like you are only concerned about your own kids, not others. What’s up with that? I guess it only matters when it comes to vaccines.

Quote:
But I’m supposed to be ok with unvaccinated kids being around them at daycare before they’re old enough to get vaccinated? Nope. Not going to happen. You don’t get to choose for my kids, just your own.
You can keep your kids home with you until they are school aged or find a nanny who is up to date on her vaccines or choose a daycare with a 100% vaccination rate.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:

You have a choice. Don't send them to daycare. That's what you're telling people who don't vaccinate, but yet you have the same option.

Daycare is possibly the worst place for an infant if you are worried about catching illnesses. Sorry to break it to you but a lot of them don't have an effective vaccine for them. Not all illness is covered for you.

We make our choices. We want kids, yet have to work. We want everyone to vaccinate so we can leave said kid at daycare worry free. I get it but you have just as many choices.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
You have a choice. Don't send them to daycare. That's what you're telling people who don't vaccinate, but yet you have the same option.

Daycare is possibly the worst place for an infant if you are worried about catching illnesses. Sorry to break it to you but a lot of them don't have an effective vaccine for them. Not all illness is covered for you.

We make our choices. We want kids, yet have to work. We want everyone to vaccinate so we can leave said kid at daycare worry free. I get it but you have just as many choices.

I agree. If one is living in fear over illness, daycare is not the best idea at all. It’s been said by some other big time vaccine for all proponents that homeschooling is an option for everyone regardless of their finances or income so I would think that those same people would also be all for staying home with one’s kids for a few years and up until their immune system is more developed.

Old 05-06-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Oh please.

You speak about your kids but what about kids who never learn to swim or those who can’t afford the safest car seats or car, who still get hit by cars in spite of taking precautions because the streets around them do not have safe places to cross? It sounds like you are only concerned about your own kids, not others. What’s up with that? I guess it only matters when it comes to vaccines.

You can keep your kids home with you until they are school aged or find a nanny who is up to date on her vaccines or choose a daycare with a 100% vaccination rate.
No state forcibly vaccinates. That’s what taking away vaccine choice looks like. If you have a link that proves otherwise, post it.

People who don’t vaccinate for nonsense reason aren’t concerned about kids who can’t be vaccinated. They care about their kids only. They don’t care if an infant too young to be vaccinated or an immunocompromised child is infected.

And yes, my daughter (soon to be first time mom) has chosen a daycare that requires vaccination for students and all staff unless they have a medical waiver. No religious or philosophical ones are allowed. And she picked a pediatric practice with the same requirements. She’s let family and friends know she’s happy to have people over to enjoy the baby when he’s born, but only if they have current TDaP and flu shots. If not, she’s happy to FaceTime with them so they can see the new addition.

I support vaccine mandates for daycare cares and brick and mortar schools. If parents don’t want to vaccinate and can’t get a waiver they can homeschool or do online school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies