Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 05:10 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,324,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Rotavirus vaccine is given only to infants, so I guess we can scratch that one off the school mandate list.

Tell us how much GSK would make from additional kids being vaccinated for meningitis and hepatitis A. You say it is "a lot." How much is "a lot?" It is your assertion to prove, not mine.

You said:

"IF this is so important to you and being so close to the pharma industry you can find the numbers right?"

"And I can only guess why you won't post about this one. Cha CHING. Cha CHING. Cha CHING."

"Not holding my breath. Moving on. Cha CHING."

All of those are pharma shill references.

None of those Cha CHINGs are in my bank account.

Well, you are the one who made a claim based on "those numbers," so show them to us. In order to say they are "a lot" you must know what they are, right?
Answer this. Profits won't be increased by lowering the age to 50 for Shingles vaccination? Marketing. Keep the same production numbers as in the past for the over 65's with a then 30% uptake. Shortage!!!! Run out and get it while you can!. Kinda like Cabbage Dolls. Hurry up before they sell out. MARKETING. A product is a product. Doesn't matter what it is.

HPV Vaccination. Not meeting the uptake for children? How to increase sales? Raise the age up to 45 years old. Change the marketing demographics, and increase sales.

If a product (term used in the Pharm Industry) is not profitable, it will be pulled from the market. What happened to the Lyme Disease vaccine? Production stopped because not enough of the public wanted it. Should have mandated that for school children. Where is the Zika vaccine? Panic has abated. Could not get enough test subjects in those countries where it was rampant. Too many people got NATURAL IMMUNITY after contacting Zika. Suzy Q, was drooling over a Zika vaccine being given to ALL CHILDREN. Maybe add that to the ever expanding vaccine mandates for public school too?

I worked in the Industry years ago, as I have said many, many time before, PLUS in Finance. Please Suzy Q, do not attempt to tell me I do not know about Government Grants, 5 year Plans, P & L Statements, etc. It is not about what you WANT it to be about. It is a business just like any other business.

Go on an Industry site, Fiercepharama.com, if you want to follow the money.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:11 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Answer this. Profits won't be increased by lowering the age to 50 for Shingles vaccination? Marketing. Keep the same production numbers as in the past for the over 65's with a then 30% uptake. Shortage!!!! Run out and get it while you can!. Kinda like Cabbage Dolls. Hurry up before they sell out. MARKETING. A product is a product. Doesn't matter what it is.

HPV Vaccination. Not meeting the uptake for children? How to increase sales? Raise the age up to 45 years old. Change the marketing demographics, and increase sales.

If a product (term used in the Pharm Industry) is not profitable, it will be pulled from the market. What happened to the Lyme Disease vaccine? Production stopped because not enough of the public wanted it. Should have mandated that for school children. Where is the Zika vaccine? Panic has abated. Could not get enough test subjects in those countries where it was rampant. Too many people got NATURAL IMMUNITY after contacting Zika. Suzy Q, was drooling over a Zika vaccine being given to ALL CHILDREN. Maybe add that to the ever expanding vaccine mandates for public school too?

I worked in the Industry years ago, as I have said many, many time before, PLUS in Finance. Please Suzy Q, do not attempt to tell me I do not know about Government Grants, 5 year Plans, P & L Statements, etc. It is not about what you WANT it to be about. It is a business just like any other business.

Go on an Industry site, Fiercepharama.com, if you want to follow the money.
There are people who have had shingles before age 50 who would love to take the shingles vaccine.

Yes, pharmaceutical companies need to make a profit, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But if you are going to talk about money spent on vaccines you must also talk about money spent on vaccine preventable diseases. To do otherwise is a bit dishonest, don't you think?

Yes, there is not the pressure to develop a vaccine for Zika that there was when the problems with it first emerged, but research is continuing. I have to wonder why you are so dead set against a vaccine for an infection that can cause serious birth defects.

"Currently, there is no treatment for Zika. Women who contract the virus are, if they are of childbearing age, at risk of giving birth to children with severe health problems including microcephaly, eye problems (including vision loss), epilepsy, nervous system defects, and hearing defects. An August 2018 Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report from the CDC revealed that of 1450 children born to mothers known to have the Zika virus during pregnancy, 1 in 7 had a birth defect associated with the virus or a neurological abnormality possibly linked to the virus (or both)."

Preventing birth defects is not a Good Thing? Quite a bit of money will be spent on them, and I would just as soon that money be spent on a vaccine instead.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:57 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,753,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
It was YOUR assertion (it’s in post #32 in case you forgot). It’s up to YOU prove that GSK stands to make “a lot of money” and to define what amount that would be.

Thanks. I know. Suzy made a different assertion that she has not backed up. You guys regularly ignore questions I ask you and I respect the fact that you can respond to what you choose to but god forbid if I don’t give you the exact answers you seek. You guys will go on and on about it. I don’t have an exact number and I don’t really care if you or Suzy or anyone else believes it. It’s pretty obvious that they would profit by getting new vaccines on the mandated schedule. And seriously, rotavirus and Hep A required for school?

Do you think GSK will give these vaccines away for free? Feel free to ignore the question. I promise you that I won’t harass you about it.

Last edited by MissTerri; 05-05-2019 at 07:41 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
How could GSK not profit with the addition of having their vaccines added to Colorado’s required for school schedule? Rotavirus, Hep A, Mennicougal. Do you believe that GSK would be giving away these vaccines away for free out of the goodness of their hearts?

In addition do you believe rotavirus is a threat to school aged children? What about Hep A? Do you think legislators should be the ones to unilaterally decide what gets added to the schedule without a stakeholder process?
Perhaps the rotavirus vaccine mandate was aimed at daycare centers? I saw a discussion where an ER doc was talking about the river of stinky diarrhea from a rotavirus infection. Perhaps other families would like to reduce the risk of their babies being subjected to that, even if you personally do not think the vaccine is necessary.

By the way, GSK is not the only maker of the hepatitis A vaccine. Merck does, too.

Sanofi also makes a meningitis vaccine, with its sales leading the GSK product.

GSK does not make the HPV vaccine at all, and it is not the only source of flu vaccine.

Should a minority of anti-vaccinationists get to decide what is or is not added to the schedule?

Who is the GSK lobbyist? Is s/he a Colorado citizen? If so, is s/he not a stakeholder, too? Legislators speak for all stakeholders, do they not?

Any child can get vaccinated without regard to ability to pay. They will have either private insurance, Medicaid, or may be eligible through the Vaccines for Children program.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/vfcprogram/

However, GSK does have a program where some adults can get free vaccines. Imagine that.

https://www.gskforyou.com/vaccines-p...uded-vaccines/

Old 05-05-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I know. Suzy made a different assertion that she has not backed up. You guys regularly ignore questions I ask you and I respect the fact that you can respond to what you choose to but god forbid if I don’t give you the exact answers you seek. You guys will go on and on about it. I don’t have an exact number and I don’t really care if you or Suzy or anyone else believes it. It’s pretty obvious that they would profit by getting new vaccines on the mandated schedule. And seriously, rotavirus and Hep A required for school?

Do you think GSK will give these vaccines away for free? Feel free to ignore the question. I promise you that I won’t harass you about it.
Suzy has not made an assertion at all. She could not until you provided a number for her to make an assertion about, and finally you admit that you do not have a number. Thanks, that is all I needed to know.

Rotavirus vaccine would be relevant only for daycare centers. It will never be on the school list.

Your children do not eat at school? You would not want them protected from a food borne illness?

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/b...is-a-outbreaks

Old 05-05-2019, 08:35 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:

Some do get free vaccines. Every manufacturer has programs for people with need. And there’s nothing wrong with them making money on what they manufacture. So does every entity that sells anything. Do you work for free? I sure don’t.

Preventing disease costs less than treating it. Even if you don’t do anything except stay home with a sick kid for a few days. Lost wages alone far outstrip the cost of vaccines. Add in a doctor’s visit and/or an antibiotic and you’re way past the cost of just preventing in the first place. And that doesn’t take into account the unnecessary suffering. I don’t get why anyone is against disease prevention. It makes no sense.

I answered your question, but I’m sure you’ll continue to ignore mine. How much is “a lot more money”? Don’t worry about answering, it’s clear you have no idea.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Some do get free vaccines. Every manufacturer has programs for people with need. And there’s nothing wrong with them making money on what they manufacture. So does every entity that sells anything. Do you work for free? I sure don’t.

Preventing disease costs less than treating it. Even if you don’t do anything except stay home with a sick kid for a few days. Lost wages alone far outstrip the cost of vaccines. Add in a doctor’s visit and/or an antibiotic and you’re way past the cost of just preventing in the first place. And that doesn’t take into account the unnecessary suffering.

I don’t get why anyone is against disease prevention. It makes no sense.
I never said that there is anything wrong with making money. I do think some are blind to the fact that these companies are highly motivated by profit, not by health and that they use all of the tools in their tool basket, including lobbying to get more customers.

Preventing measles but creating more autoimmune disease? Is that cheaper? You think we have all of the answers? You really believe that scientific research cannot be used as a tool to show what the people with the biggest bank accounts want it to say? You think there is never any bias or people controlling what gets funding and what does not? Do you really believe the ridiculous claim that “the science is settled”? If so, I’d say you’re pretty naive.

Do you agree that every vaccine on the current schedule is necessary for every child?

Old 05-05-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Suzy has not made an assertion at all. She could not until you provided a number for her to make an assertion about, and finally you admit that you do not have a number. Thanks, that is all I needed to know.

Rotavirus vaccine would be relevant only for daycare centers. It will never be on the school list.

Your children do not eat at school? You would not want them protected from a food borne illness?

https://www.contagionlive.com/news/b...is-a-outbreaks

They were trying to add rotavirus to the “required for school” list in Colorado. Not just for daycare but for public schools. If you did not have it you had to get an exemption. That’s how willy nilly the process of choosing vaccines to add to the list was.

Colorado considered adding the mennigitis vaccine to the schedule before but decided against it for various reasons after a lengthy stakeholder process. I can’t remember all of the reasons at the moment. So trying to add it in with this piece of legislation didn’t totally make sense.

I do not think the Hep A vaccine should be required for school. Nope.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:56 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
Quote:
I never said that there is anything wrong with making money. I do think some are blind to the fact that these companies are highly motivated by profit, not by health and that they use all of the tools in their tool basket, including lobbying to get more customers.

Do you agree that every vaccine on the current schedule is necessary for every child?
Regardless of the motivation of pharmaceutical companies, better health and less disease is the result of vaccinations. The result of whatever motivates anti vaxxers is measles outbreaks, spreading disinformation and irrational fear. One helps and the other hurts.

Do whatever you want with your kids. I really don’t care. Just don’t expect other parents to roll over and accept the risk to their kids that unvaccinated kids pose. Your right not to vaccinate doesn’t mean you’re allowed to trample other people’s right to a safe school environment for their kids.

Things aren’t going to get better for the anti vaxxers. Germany just announced their intentions to kick unvaccinated kids out of kindergarten and fine parents $2,800 dollars. Every case of diagnosed measles is another reason for US lawmakers to remove religious and philosophical waivers and crack down on the bogus medical waivers purchased by anti vax parents from unethical doctors. Given that we’re on track to shatter the previous post vaccine measles cases this year, that time is coming soon.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Regardless of the motivation of pharmaceutical companies, better health and less disease is the result of vaccinations. The result of whatever motivates anti vaxxers is measles outbreaks, spreading disinformation and irrational fear. One helps and the other hurts.

Do whatever you want with your kids. I really don’t care. Just don’t expect other parents to roll over and accept the risk to their kids that unvaccinated kids pose. Your right not to vaccinate doesn’t mean you’re allowed to trample other people’s right to a safe school environment for their kids.

Things aren’t going to get better for the anti vaxxers. Germany just announced their intentions to kick unvaccinated kids out of kindergarten and fine parents $2,800 dollars. Every case of diagnosed measles is another reason for US lawmakers to remove religious and philosophical waivers and crack down on the bogus medical waivers purchased by anti vax parents from unethical doctors. Given that we’re on track to shatter the previous post vaccine measles cases this year, that time is coming soon.

You have no problem trampling on the rights of people who refuse to inject every vaccine the government says they must inject into their bodies. I guess you’re not as “live and let live as you make it seem.

Are there any vaccines you do think are ok to skip? Or you 100% on board with all of them, inlcuding whatever comes down the pipe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies