Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
There is a difference between legal and illegal immigrants.
Seattle had a bunch of Russian immigrants and there was an influx of them that came in legally.
In Sunny Isles - it's "pay to drop anchor babies" for Russians among many other things. It's also "steal money from the Russian state to buy US Property and the US is fine with it" (true!).

Now, whether it is legal to pay Trump of other condo owners for special packages to drop anchor babies....is questionable in my mind. Even if it's a loophole, my conservative friends can agree it is unfair. After all, regular people are in line for years or a decade+. Why should a wealthy Russian who is "connected" be able to establish a line of Citizens here for a relatively low price? (a rental package).....

To say nothing of much of the Russian criminal element that is also buying...but, hey, in Russia criminal is not criminal. It's only criminal if Putin says so.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190125...merican-babies

One should ask, at minimum, why they want American passports so badly? We know they are bad actors...but yet now we will have thousands of the wealthy Oligarch connected families inserting themselves legally and fully into our society.

These are not people who are leaving their Russian citizenship behind.....

The difference, as I see it, is:

1. One of these parties is relatively Godless and looking for safe harbor for their money.

2. The other party are Christians who are fleeing violence and poverty in order to work hard and add to the society they are entering. Or, they are maybe interested in doing seasonal work and going back...but since the Congress and POTUS won't do anything about allowing that to be easier, they are "illegal"....

It's clear what side of this most "conservatives" are on - one dollar=one vote.

But Real Christians would feel for their brethren looking to escape violence and poverty...or just looking to work hard and make a few bucks more then they can at home.

We DumboCrats prefer the Christian poor who are from our own neighboring countries.

The "regular" Russians don't go to Sunny Isles and buy 3 million dollar condos. They are working in Factories and many other places up here in New England and elsewhere (many from Ukraine, which was Russia). This is a very different breed from Oligarch connected upper classes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 03:41 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Regarding debating, I am sure you do not want to go there...

Do you live in Florida? Because there has been plenty of talk and some action by local politicians about creating sanctuary status for their cities. SO the state decided to take action.

Do you think something needs to be a problem before a law is enacted?
Yes, I live in Ft Lauderdale (the air-show kicks ass - just got back from there), and unlike you, I know there are no sanctuary cities in FL. Easy "promise" to keep.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 2,098,635 times
Quote:
Illegal immigration is a US issue, in which states through their policies or lack of, have been making it easier or harder for ilelgals to reside here.

I live in Miami, right in Brickell, I know full well the demographics in my metro area at least.

But point is minus Mexico, illegal immigration would hardly be an issue, not one that gets constantly in the top 3 of concerns and problems. Without the top 3 contributors, I would say it would be no issue at all.
And I live in a Miami Beach just down the road from Sunny Isles. As I said earlier the post was about the Florida cities and while in US immigration is driven by Mexico and more from Central America lately this is not our pattern here.

And Im in no way for illegal immigration I do think that we would be much better if we actually address the reasons for it than just say let’s build a wall and deport them all.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:07 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its cool to promise to ban something which does not exist in the first place.

There are no sanctuary cities in FL.

Its like saying he will ban Martians in Florida.
The Martians likely heard that too and they aren't coming.

Least I haven't seen any, have you ?

Old 05-04-2019, 04:28 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,228,646 times
Quote:
There is a bill now making its way to DeSantis, who said he will sign it.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2019/00164

The bill was "Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration" so it ain't going anywhere soon.
Florida, being the corrupt hell hole that it is, will probably never do anything that will harm it's main economic engine which is cramming more and more people into a finite space. Gotta have plenty of cheap labor.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
The bill was "Indefinitely postponed and withdrawn from consideration" so it ain't going anywhere soon.
Florida, being the corrupt hell hole that it is, will probably never do anything that will harm it's main economic engine which is cramming more and more people into a finite space. Gotta have plenty of cheap labor.
There is some disagreement on that and last I heard it went back to the House for conference with the Senate. Once reconciled it should go to the Gov. desk to be signed. The reporting has been a little confusing on it for sure.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You don't know what you are talking about. Both Tx. & Fl. have passed E-Verify.
Please. Do your homework. Stop looking at simple maps...and read.

Texas - Private employers are NOT required to do E-verify. Companies doing business with the state are...BUT, even then there are NO enforcement mechanisms or penalties.

https://www.athensreview.com/news/mo...46afdbccb.html

"Just eight states have universal mandates covering all employers.
In Texas, state agencies and universities are required to use E-Verify."

"Texas economist Ray Perryman in 2017 put the total net economic benefits of the state’s undocumented workforce at $290.3 billion in output (gross product) and 3.3 million jobs annually"
*big money*

"private employers are hardly rushing to verify whether Texas job applicants are authorized to work here.

In a state where the non-citizen share of the population is 11 percent, fewer than one third of Texas hires — 32 percent — were screened with E-Verify for the year ending June 2017"

---------------------
And Florida:

"Legislators have cut a secret deal, trading a set of bills that would require Florida businesses to check the immigration status of new hires via “e-Verify,†for bills to ban so-called “sanctuary cities,†which have been fast-tracked through committee stops."

In other words, they BURIED the E-Verify bill and approved a BS PR bill instead....

"Historically, the state’s largest business groups have opposed using e-Verify, including the Florida Chamber of Commerce and Associated Industries of Florida."

So, P, now that you know that both TX and FL have purposely, often in secret, refused to do proper E-Verity, can you answer my question?????

WHY?

I don't know why we even have to ask. They approve of them. The pols and business groups have said it out loud. But you can't.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
There is some disagreement on that and last I heard it went back to the House for conference with the Senate. Once reconciled it should go to the Gov. desk to be signed. The reporting has been a little confusing on it for sure.
It is not happening. Believe me. The session is over......and Desantis said it is "not important" citing the need for the cheap labor since there is so much need for labor there.

In other words, he supports breaking the law because there are so many jobs that need to be done.

C'mon, P, just say it.

You have to ask yourself - since the Republicans controlled 33 states (2/3rd of ALL of them Govenors) in recent years AND also the Senate, House and POTUS....why???

I think we all know the answer...except for you and a few others who don't read the actual statements of the polls, the Cato institute, the Kochs, the Bush family and many other pro-immigrant and cheap labor supporters.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Please. Do your homework. Stop looking at simple maps...and read.

Texas - Private employers are NOT required to do E-verify. Companies doing business with the state are...BUT, even then there are NO enforcement mechanisms or penalties.

https://www.athensreview.com/news/mo...46afdbccb.html

"Just eight states have universal mandates covering all employers.
In Texas, state agencies and universities are required to use E-Verify."

"Texas economist Ray Perryman in 2017 put the total net economic benefits of the state’s undocumented workforce at $290.3 billion in output (gross product) and 3.3 million jobs annually"
*big money*

"private employers are hardly rushing to verify whether Texas job applicants are authorized to work here.

In a state where the non-citizen share of the population is 11 percent, fewer than one third of Texas hires — 32 percent — were screened with E-Verify for the year ending June 2017"

---------------------
And Florida:

"Legislators have cut a secret deal, trading a set of bills that would require Florida businesses to check the immigration status of new hires via “e-Verify,” for bills to ban so-called “sanctuary cities,” which have been fast-tracked through committee stops."

In other words, they BURIED the E-Verify bill and approved a BS PR bill instead....

"Historically, the state’s largest business groups have opposed using e-Verify, including the Florida Chamber of Commerce and Associated Industries of Florida."

So, P, now that you know that both TX and FL have purposely, often in secret, refused to do proper E-Verity, can you answer my question?????

WHY?

I don't know why we even have to ask. They approve of them. The pols and business groups have said it out loud. But you can't.
You were caught saying something that wasn't true. Admitted it and move on !!!

There are 8 different policies on E-Verify passed by the states and TX & Fl. each passed one.

Last edited by phma; 05-04-2019 at 05:49 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It is not happening. Believe me. The session is over......and Desantis said it is "not important" citing the need for the cheap labor since there is so much need for labor there.

In other words, he supports breaking the law because there are so many jobs that need to be done.

C'mon, P, just say it.

You have to ask yourself - since the Republicans controlled 33 states (2/3rd of ALL of them Govenors) in recent years AND also the Senate, House and POTUS....why???

I think we all know the answer...except for you and a few others who don't read the actual statements of the polls, the Cato institute, the Kochs, the Bush family and many other pro-immigrant and cheap labor supporters.
All you need is proof and on that you come up empty and throw out accusations you can't prove either.

Where is a link backing up anything you say ? If there is no support to your argument all you have is argument. Waste of time !!!
You are all over the place with off topic argument.
Not a winning strategy for anything. Seek help !!!

Last edited by phma; 05-04-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies