Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 09:12 AM

18,095 posts, read 15,670,593 times

Advertisements

Right wingers show their ignorance every day. They act like people who don't want the *government* to determine what happens between a woman and her doctor are "for abortions." Not even close. Many women would personally never have an abortion and at the same time they would not support anyone else making that decision for them, nor would they want that decision made for someone else. That's the point.

Right wingers perpetuate complete lies like how birth control works (and it's frightening how so many of them have no clue and get it wrong) and they repeat conspiracy theories like "doctors can abort a child...literally kill it as it's being born." NO THEY CAN'T and they would not. That is a felony, it would be homicide. It does not happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 09:35 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
The "precedent" is not valid. The plaintiff in the original case did not have legal standing to bring it to the Supreme Court in the first place. Time for a re-do. Return it to the states where it belongs.
Why did she not have legal standing?

Quote:
2. Roe has standing to sue; the Does and Hallford do not. Pp. 123-129.

(a) Contrary to appellee's contention, the natural termination of Roe's pregnancy did not moot her suit. Litigation involving pregnancy, which is "capable of repetition, yet evading review," is an exception to the usual federal rule that an actual controversy
https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/410/113/

Old 05-17-2019, 09:37 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Right wingers show their ignorance every day. They act like people who don't want the *government* to determine what happens between a woman and her doctor are "for abortions." Not even close. Many women would personally never have an abortion and at the same time they would not support anyone else making that decision for them, nor would they want that decision made for someone else. That's the point.

Right wingers perpetuate complete lies like how birth control works (and it's frightening how so many of them have no clue and get it wrong) and they repeat conspiracy theories like "doctors can abort a child...literally kill it as it's being born." NO THEY CAN'T and they would not. That is a felony, it would be homicide. It does not happen.
Right. Doctors do not kill babies. Hyperbole and dangerous at that.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:40 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
I would like to know what the repugs would say to that young girl who was raped and cannot get the abortion n poppy wants to be in the child’s life —- if it was your daughter / please answer -
Many conservatives have children who've had abortions (one can speculate this). They don't want to know and probably never will, living the Life of The Brady Bunch, w/ all of its encompassing denial. And, w/ stricter abortion laws, these people will still get them as needed.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:02 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody is forcing PP to close. They are trying to remove the government's funding end.

In WV we have opened Medicaid for all who are not able to afford medical care. That includes B.C.
And Ohio is trying to ban most insurance from covering any device or medication that prevents implantation of the ovum. That would include most hormonal BC pills and IUDs.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think its a knee jerk reaction to the left's insane push to make infanticide legal and their complete disregard for human life of even a newborn. Its a pushback and they'll find a common ground when the current crop of left wing extremists are kicked out of the party and moderates retake control of the dem party.
You're right, you are having a knee jerk reaction. As in, no thinking required.

I know of no one trying to make infanticide legal. If you are referring to the recently enacted New York law, it just codifies current medical practice - that parents have the right to decide to "pull the plug" on a dying infant. Like this guy did - https://people.com/human-interest/ma...-life-support/

You think this man should be charged with infanticide????? You think the government should make this decision, and not the parents??????

Last edited by jacqueg; 05-17-2019 at 10:19 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 10:15 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Many conservatives have children who've had abortions (one can speculate this). They don't want to know and probably never will, living the Life of The Brady Bunch, w/ all of its encompassing denial. And, w/ stricter abortion laws, these people will still get them as needed.
One of the biggest anti choice people I know is all over Facebook celebrating the Alabama bill. If she only knew her own daughter had an abortion at 19. I know because my daughter took her to the appointment, helped her pay for it and took care of her for a couple days after. My daughter didn’t tell me any of this, but her very grateful friend did. She thought I should know what my daughter did for her and how much it meant to her.

Sad that during one of the most difficult times in this young woman’s life she couldn’t trust her own mother to have her back.

Last edited by UNC4Me; 05-17-2019 at 10:35 AM..

Old 05-17-2019, 10:19 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No conservatives will
Dispute that the court has a constitutional duty to interpret law. However interpret does not mean change the meaning and intent of said law and make a new one. Leftists courts have abused the 14th amendment for decades now. I cannot for the life of me find any way to get the right to kill unborn babies out of the 14th amendment. That is beyond a stretch, it is simply unconstitutional action by the court. Activism from the bench is unconstitutional period. You leftists simply fail to grasp such a simple concept. Back in elementary school most of us learned about separation of powers and what each branch of government could and could not do. Maybe all the kids drooling on their desk in civics class grew up to be leftists I dont know.

The 14tg amendment was written to protect blacks from discrimination after the civil war. That is the laws intent.......not baby killing, not special rights for homosexuals, not affirmative action etc. The 14th amendment protects US citizens from institutionalized racism and mistreatment based on race. It’s legitimacy could also be questioned because it was passed without the southern states. You leftists don’t even acknowledge that.
For starters, an abortion within the first trimester isn't killing a human life.

A fetus that is three months or less old could not survive on its own outside its mother's womb. That was medical science in 1973 and it still holds. There is some ability to keep preemie babies alive now that didn't exist 46 years ago, but a three month fetus? No.

So, all this talk about "killing babies" is nonsense. Repeating something that isn't accurate eighty times doesn't make it accurate. What the issue is about is a woman's right to make personal decisions about her own body. I suspect if men could have babies, you'd probably have a very different opinion.

I bet you thought the Heller decision wasn't activism. Considering the fact that no court had expressly ruled on the constitutionality of banning handguns until Heller many of us, including myself, considered it to be activism. Either way though, it doesn't matter. Whether a decision is "activist" or not its still the law.

What you fail to grasp is since you are not a judge and have no legal background that I couldn't care less what your opinions of constitutionality are. I think that's true for most of us here. Under our system everyone gets an opinion, but the only opinion that counts is the one from the Supreme Court.

Your comments about the Fourteenth Amendment are also the result of poor analysis. The context of the amendment was in the post-Civil War era a decision was made to confer legal rights on African Americans. However, the amendment does not refer to them as such. It refers to "person" or "persons". No state is to deny any person the equal protection of the law. No state is deny any person due process of the law.

As such, the amendment applies to all people or all persons.

I know you don't like women or gay people (and probably black people) having rights, but that's the way it is.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:31 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
One of the biggest anti choice people I know is all over Facebook celebrating the Alabama bill. If she only knew her own daughter had an abortion at 19. I know because my daughter took her to the appointment, helped her pay for it and took care of her for a couple days after. My daughter didn’t tell me any of this, but her very grateful friend did. She thought I should know what my daughter did for her and how much it meant to her.

Sad that during one of the most difficult times in this young woman’s life life she couldn’t trust her own mother to have her back.

That is sad. Fortunately, your daughter was there to support her.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:05 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Question to you idiots who cannot control your own sex life (I thought YOU were responsible for YOUR own body?) Why not take the morning after pill and then shut up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies