Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 11:07 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

BC pills change a woman's reproductive cycle in that her ovaries no longer produce & then release a mature egg. If she doesn't ovulate there's no egg and thus no fertilization of an egg can occur. There's no 'killing' of anything involved. How is it that so many (especially "pro-lifers") do not know this? I'm embarrassed for them; they're too uneducated to be embarrassed at their own lack of basic reproductive knowledge. And some of them are senators sponsoring these bills. No excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 11:18 AM

858 posts, read 424,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
No conservatives will
Dispute that the court has a constitutional duty to interpret law. However interpret does not mean change the meaning and intent of said law and make a new one. Leftists courts have abused the 14th amendment for decades now. I cannot for the life of me find any way to get the right to kill unborn babies out of the 14th amendment. That is beyond a stretch, it is simply unconstitutional action by the court. Activism from the bench is unconstitutional period. You leftists simply fail to grasp such a simple concept. Back in elementary school most of us learned about separation of powers and what each branch of government could and could not do. Maybe all the kids drooling on their desk in civics class grew up to be leftists I dont know.

The 14tg amendment was written to protect blacks from discrimination after the civil war. That is the laws intent.......not baby killing, not special rights for homosexuals, not affirmative action etc. The 14th amendment protects US citizens from institutionalized racism and mistreatment based on race. It’s legitimacy could also be questioned because it was passed without the southern states. You leftists don’t even acknowledge that.

Point me to where the word Black, Negro, or equivalent is written in the 14th Amendment. The Amendment was written to apply to all citizens.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:20 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,812,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Question to you idiots who cannot control your own sex life (I thought YOU were responsible for YOUR own body?) Why not take the morning after pill and then shut up?
50% of those who get abortions were using birth control. If you’re on BC, why would you take the morning after pill??

As to the other 50%, yes they should be more responsible. But it’s hard to do so when your state defunds Planned Parenthood and the closest one is 300 miles away or bans the most effective BC methods or doesn’t have programs in place to assist with easily available low cost or no cost BC for those who can’t afford it. Instead they mandate Sex Ed that teaches nothing but abstinence. Super helpful of them.

If states want more responsibility maybe they should stop putting policies in placed that make it as difficult as possible to be responsible.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:23 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,298,736 times
Missouri joins the Red State Rush, banning abortion after 8 weeks, with no exception for rape or incest. The only exception in when the life of the woman is endangered.

https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...home-top-story

Old 05-17-2019, 11:28 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Missouri joins the Red State Rush, banning abortion after 8 weeks, with no exception for rape or incest. The only exception in when the life of the woman is endangered.

This whole movement is sickening, especially if you've ever read The Handmaid's Tale (or watched the TV series)

Old 05-17-2019, 11:37 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post

And they apparently have a surfeit of OB/GYNs, as they plan to imprison the doctors. Let's look at the stats ...

Hmmm. Maternal mortality is ... high.

Quote:
The United Health Foundation’s 2016 Health of Women and Children Report pegged the national average at about 19.9 deaths per 100,000 live births, while Missouri’s maternal mortality rate was 28.5 deaths per 100,000 live births, which ranked 42nd nationally. Kansas clocked in at 19.6 and states like California (5.9) and Massachusetts (5.8) were well under double digits.
Source:
Kansas City Star - Mortality rate for pregnant Missouri women is high. Here's why.

How about infant mortality?

6.2 - high, though not as high as Alabama and Georgia. Seems their priorities are misplaced.

Source: CDC

Last edited by Emeraldmaiden; 05-17-2019 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Formatting fail

Old 05-17-2019, 11:39 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
This whole movement is sickening, especially if you've ever read The Handmaid's Tale (or watched the TV series)

I've read the book, and watched the first season of the series. The feeling of dread and recognition was too much for me while we were caregivers for my husband's parents (they were in home hospice), so I didn't watch after that. I don't like the direction we're going, into dystopia.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:52 AM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Not in the whole country, no. At worst it may be something only certain states are open to, much like physician assisted suicide is becoming.

What people NEED to understand and accept is that these are not universally accept practices. Life is ending either way and for a large number of people that can never be considered business as usual. Yelling and screaming at them won't change their minds and only makes you look like the unhinged, immoral, death lovers they they see you as.

For the record I'm pro-choice and pro physician assisted suicide...both with HARD LIMITS though. There comes a point, currently with abortion but maybe with PAS later, where we stop thinking or caring about it at all, and we shouldn't let ourselves get there.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Question to you idiots who cannot control your own sex life (I thought YOU were responsible for YOUR own body?) Why not take the morning after pill and then shut up?
Some of these new laws ban those too.

Old 05-17-2019, 05:31 PM

7,026 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Does the fact that the pre-born child, not part of the mother but merely INSIDE her attached to the placentia, is MURDERED in an abortion. And before you say it is her body, wake up. It is not envervated by her nervouse system, it has its own heart, organs, and functioning brain and is only indirectly connected to the mother.

It is not more a part of the mother than a visitor is part of your house.

Have you no idea how you dehumanize yourself by the mere act of supporting murder, i.e. Infanticide.

But, OTOH, it is overwhelmingly liberals killing-off their progeny so, really, what's the big deal.
Most abortions take place when the fetus is no larger than a peanut. It's not sentient and unable to feel pain. Sort of like the tumors that are taken out of people.

As for liberals killing off their own progeny, here's a few facts for you to digest: It's a fact that families that can plan the number of children they have tend to have more money and are able to better care for the children they do have. Their children are healthier, better educated, and do better in life.

Another fact that you seem to ignore is that: "Of the 12 states ranked highest in infant mortality rates, all with rates of 7.0 or higher, 11 are described by the abortion rights organization NARAL as imposing "severely restricted access" on abortions."

"Alabama is tied for fourth-worst place in infant mortality, with a rate of 7.4 deaths per 1,000 live births. Georgia, with a rate of 7.2, is tied for seventh-worst."

Let's not even get started with how bad Alabama's maternal mortality rate is.Oh, I forgot. That Alabama governor who's so concerned for life? She refused to commute the death sentence of a convict just a couple hours after she signed the abortion bill and the convict was put to death. Yeah, I see that pro-life coming through there.

And as to dehumanizing...what kind of animal are you to wish foster care, possible sexual and physical abuse, possible death, and forcing children to be born to parents who don't want them and don't love them? You seriously think there's loving homes for all these kids? If so, you need a huge reality check. Why don't you take a walk around any large city. Yes, you will be seeing kids who aged out of the foster care system and are now on the street, dealing drugs and being prostitutes to stay alive. That's the end result of forced birthing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
She also can obligate him to either take protection, or not have sex with him if he fails to comply.

To get pregnant w/o wanting to, with so many options to avoid it available, is the ultimate in stupidity.
He also has the option of beating her when she asks him to use protection or refuses to have sex with him.

On top of all that, only an idiot believes that using birth control will prevent pregnancy 100% of the time. ALL birth control has a failure rate and many couples using two kinds of birth control find themselves facing a pregnancy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
They are not pro-life because they don't care about a young girl (legally a child) getting pregnant through rape or incest. And they don't care about a woman's life. Seriously, they do not care.

If there's a fertilized egg, even as a result of a felony crime, all that matters is the protection of the fertilized egg. To heck with the traumatized girl or anything else.
Until the fertilized egg turns into a woman. Then it's of no use to any forced birthers except as an incubator for the next generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Isn't MURDER illegal in every state?

The RIGHT TO LIFE, Liberty & the pursuit of Happiness.
It is all right there from the beginning in the USA.
So then how to you want to proceed if the life of the mother is in danger while she gives birth? Which one has more right to life, the mother or the baby being born? Because sometimes you have to decide.

There are parents in other countries who will kill their daughters if they shame them. That's just their culture and their belief system. Here in the US we have parents who will kill their daughters to let their grandchild live. That's just our culture and our belief system. One is no better than the other and if you endorse our system, then you have to endorse their system as well. It comes down to the same thing in the end, the willingness to kill the daughters and women who interfere with a certain set of beliefs.

That's what the "Right to Life" in the Constitution comes down to if you start infringing on the personal rights of the people already here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
What about the large proportion of women who are pro-life? They don't care about women? Do you realise that the proportion of males and females that are pro-life are about the same?

Why do we have to pretend this is men trying to control women? Wouldn't plain old honesty make for a better starting point to the conversation.
No, because it's all based on what women do. Women are the ones who have to keep their legs closed. Women are the ones who have to make their partners use birth control. Women are the ones who end up raising the children after the men have split. Women are the ones who have to take responsibility for the pregnancy and make the decisions about it.

That's what you hear every time there's a thread like this and every time you read the comments on a news story about abortion. It's always the fault of the women. Freaking always.

Do you know what would solve the abortion problem once and for all? Men not pulling their zippers down. For all the men here and everywhere else, tell me, how often have you heard THAT given as a solution to the abortion problem?

Plain old honesty says this is not only about controlling women, but punishing them for having sex outside marriage and not wanting to follow the script of staying home barefoot, pregnant, and subservient to men while raising a pack of kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
They are anti-choice not pro-life.
Call them what they are: forced birthers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
well the left have enjoyed over 40 years of killing of the Gen X and others after that because of an inconvenience. Time to reverse the trend. Also if you are so scared of over population, go look at third world countries and the birth rates over there.
OK, let's play pretend. It's forty years in the future. There are 50 million more people here than there were before abortion was legal. Well, let's halve that number, because at least half of them don't exist because their mothers left or lived in states where abortion is still legal.

So that means red states like Georgia, Missouri, Alabama, etc, now split 25 million more people among them. 25 million more going into foster care in states that don't have expanded Medicaid, have cut back on welfare and food stamps, have a terrible record in maternal mortality, bad schools, and more poor people people with less education and medical care.

Can we use the phrase "shooting yourself in the foot"?

Quote:
Because a lot of these states also want to outlaw the morning after pill! Hello? Where have you been?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I have a friend who will house those wanting abortions in her home in the North. I'm sure other women will join in, and transport them to and fro. Big caravans riding up and down from South to North. There will many underground systems that will not let these women down. Women won't stand for this crap I can tell you that much.
They won't. I won't. And I defy anyone who thinks they can make me back down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies