Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2019, 05:44 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
I see. Up to the woman. Why aren't the men taking the precaution to prevent a pregnancy? It's expected the woman to do this and this misogynistic attitude is clear just by the way it's talked about. Yes she's the one who will get pregnant, but it's not like a man isn't involved in making that happen.
Here we go the old either or argument.

Yes the man should be using protection. Any sane man that wants to avoid 18+ years of child support does use protection. But, who is stuck with the life changing, body changing, pregnancy? This thread is about abortions. Men don't get abortions that's why I kept my discussion about female options.

For the record. I taught my daughters just what I said. It is their body, their lives, their futures that stand in the balance. Be smart and dont roll the dice for a minute of fun. Always use protection and if the guy doesn't like it, get rid of him.

Do they listen? either they have gotten luck or they have because both are career driven and neither have ever been pregnant. Strong women have no problem taking ownership of their bodies and that includes during sex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2019, 05:59 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Abortion as birth control is barbaric act. There are exceptions like health risks and rape of course but should not be allowed to have abortion just because they're not "ready" or "too young".

Old 05-17-2019, 06:37 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
People helping women in states with draconian abortion restrictions.

https://www.reddit.com/r/auntienetwork/new/

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Here we go the old either or argument.

Yes the man should be using protection. Any sane man that wants to avoid 18+ years of child support does use protection. But, who is stuck with the life changing, body changing, pregnancy? This thread is about abortions. Men don't get abortions that's why I kept my discussion about female options.

For the record. I taught my daughters just what I said. It is their body, their lives, their futures that stand in the balance. Be smart and dont roll the dice for a minute of fun. Always use protection and if the guy doesn't like it, get rid of him.

Do they listen? either they have gotten luck or they have because both are career driven and neither have ever been pregnant. Strong women have no problem taking ownership of their bodies and that includes during sex.
But those are YOUR daughters and they had someone to protect them. What about the women who aren't as lucky to have a father like you in their lives? Are you saying it's OK to punish them for that by forcing them to give birth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Abortion as birth control is barbaric act. There are exceptions like health risks and rape of course but should not be allowed to have abortion just because they're not "ready" or "too young".
Right. So someone the age of 15 or 16 has the life experience to raise a child. Totally rational thinking.

Of course, having a kid won't hurt them. They won't be able to finish high school, go to college, or work on getting a good job, but hey, the state of Alabama or Georgia or Ohio will be happy to let them live on welfare and food stamps - oh, wait. Maybe not. Well, maybe the state will provide daycare and diapers - not that either, huh?

Well, Floridarebel, looks like you're on the hook for supporting these girls and their babies, one way or the other. Enjoy.

Last edited by rodentraiser; 05-17-2019 at 07:07 PM..

Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think it IS possible a 5-4 vote could overturn Roe v Wade. How would the women in this country react to such a reality--a return to back-alley butchers?
If Roe v Wade was overturned, it would just go back to the people of the individual states to decide for themselves.

Old 05-17-2019, 06:47 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
For those who still think men who pass restrictions on abortion actually care about the fetus, here's some interesting reading for you:

Abortion is Immoral Except When It Comes To My Mistresses

https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/...-my-mistresses

"TIM: Life begins at conception. Pregnancy is a gift from God, which is why I’m cosponsoring this anti-abortion legislation after asking my lover to have an abortion. I’m 65 and she’s 32, but you probably figured that out already."

"STEVE: Being the finance chairman of the pro-life Republican Party has been the greatest honor of my life as I raped and sexually abused multiple women and threatened them with attack dogs. Women should not be trusted to make their own choices.
"

What Actually Happens When a Country Bans Abortion

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/05/16...mania-alabama/

"As a last resort, many Romanian women turned to home and back-alley abortions, and by 1989, an estimated 10,000 women had died as a result of unsafe procedures."

"When communism collapsed in Romania in 1989, an estimated 170,000 children were found warehoused in filthy orphanages. Having previously been hidden from the world, images emerged of stick-thin children, many of whom had been beaten and abused. Some were left shackled to metal bed frames."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If Roe v Wade was overturned, it would just go back to the people of the individual states to decide for themselves.
True, but in states where abortion was banned, there would be many poor women who couldn't afford to travel outside their state to get an abortion if they wanted to. And then there's Georgia. A woman who travels out of state to get an abortion could be arrested and convicted of murder if she returned to the state. It's totally possible that Georgia would try to extradite her as well if she failed to return. Georgia's law will also convict anyone who helped a woman get an abortion out of state by giving her money or driving her over the state line.

And then you have to ask yourself, what about all the women who miscarry and will be accused of abortion in those instances? Those women can be tried and convicted of murder as well, since Georgia will be investigating all miscarriages. Same for women who smoke, drink, or do anything else during pregnancy that the state thinks might harm a fetus.

Excuse me, what the hell ever happened to "smaller government?"

Last edited by rodentraiser; 05-17-2019 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: having fun trying to sort out my posts. sheesh!

Old 05-17-2019, 07:33 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,689,172 times
Abortion will become an privilege of the rich and famous. Working people and the poor will have to bear children they cannot afford and struggle with medical bills they cannot pay. Many of those children will go hungry, do without heat or hot water, live out of a car or back alley, etc. These cafeteria christian conservatives are all for bringing these children into the world and then turning their backs on their needs. The tv is loaded with charity ads begging for a multitude of causes. Where are the so-called christians? They are busy pointing their fingers at those less fortunate.
They ignore that God gave us all free will. Instead they would impose their will on others. Ending abortion rights is only a stepping stone to more regulation and oversight. What's next? Why not fat people? Isn't gluttony as sin?
Have you noticed that these so-called christians want to end abortion rights because they consider abortion murder and yet they have no problem with the death penalty?

Old 05-17-2019, 07:56 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Roe v Wade won't be overturned.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:16 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Roe v Wade won't be overturned.
Thanks...I feel so much better now. Either you don't care...or you don't care because you're against it.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:19 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I think it IS possible a 5-4 vote could overturn Roe v Wade. How would the women in this country react to such a reality--a return to back-alley butchers?
I think there would be an uprising of tumultuous protests such as hasn't been seen in decades.

Old 05-17-2019, 09:31 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Thanks...I feel so much better now. Either you don't care...or you don't care because you're against it.
My reply wasn’t meant to make you feel better. But I do care. I care about having back alley abortions or using coat hangers again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies