Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 03:51 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
As far as the type of time limits being put on when a woman can have an abortion like in Georgia.

Suppose a girl or woman is drugged and then raped? These girls and women may not know they were raped and along with this they may not realize they are pregnant until after this Georgia bill's time limit. So isn't this why there shouldn't be such an early restriction on when an abortion can happen?
Here's a rundown of the heartbeat laws. Facts in play.

https://blog.equalrightsinstitute.co...CXMI5kpoUqMSp8

Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Taxes will go up. Almost 50% of births are paid for by medicaid. Now add all of those who had abortions because they couldn't afford a child to the rolls.
Don't think so....

Quote:
The U.S. Congress has barred the use of federal Medicaid funds to pay for abortions, except when the woman's life would be endangered by a full-term pregnancy or in cases of rape or incest (AGI).

17 states (AK, AZ, CA, CT, HI, IL, MA, MD, MN, MT, NJ, NM, NY, OR, VT, WA and WV) use public funds to pay for abortions for some poor women. About 14% of all abortions in the United States are paid for with public funds—virtually all from the state (AGI).

In 2014, 88,466 abortions in California were paid for with public funds. Public funds paid for 45,722 abortions in New York (AGI).
https://abort73.com/abortion_facts/u...on_statistics/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyde_Amendment

The foster system is partly funded by tax dollars.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:07 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
IF abortion was made illegal, then MORE women would be giving birth, a percentage of those BIRTHS would be paid for by medicaid.

Following the thread title, "Negative consequences of banning abortion". More births by force would mean more tax dollars needed to pay for those births.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:40 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Where is the consequence, in your scenario, for the man who got the woman pregnant? Because I don't see any.

As usual, the man gets a free pass.
If women held men accountable by not sleeping with them until they're really and truly committed before sleeping with them -- which was the broadly accepted culture back before Roe v Wade -- then he sticks around. For unmarried pregnancies, if we reverted to the same culture the USA used to have, the man does the right thing and marries the girl. If a woman couldn't in a million years see herself marrying X dude, then don't have sex with him stupid! The same goes the other way around. If you as a man cannot fathom marrying girl X, don't have sex with her you idiot!

Honestly, you'd think people were completely forgetting the fact that sex is ultimately the act of human reproduction. If you engage in the act of human reproduction, no matter how much birth control you use, there's a chance you'll succeed at making a baby. Man or woman alike, if having a baby is not something you want in your life, then don't have sex. Doing it anyways means you might end up a mommy or a daddy, so use your head and exercise a little self control.

But even if culture remains largely unchanged, we have very good technology for proving paternity. I have no sympathy for a man who knocks a girl up, then runs like hell. To hell with him! By all means, hold him accountable! Just make sure that if he's paying his child support that he's actually allowed to be a father to his child.

But quite often the best solution is adoption and we should be going all-in praising women and girls who put their unwanted babies up for adoption. If there are negative stigmas about that, then we need to drown them out and change the minds of some very stupid people. When a child who was adopted has any doubts about his birth parents loving him or her, our culture should resoundingly answer, "Of course they loved you! They did the best thing they could for you!"

Old 06-03-2019, 04:41 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,381,911 times
The abortion industry is scared to death the money is about to dry up!

Old 06-03-2019, 04:47 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There are many who have exactly that thought.
They're pretty cold blooded then to oppose laws intended to cut down on mothers throwing their newborns in dumpsters and leaving them.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:51 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Then why are there still children waiting to be adopted? Why are there children aging out of the system every year without being adopted even though they are available for adoption? Using the state foster and adoption system doesn't cost $30,000 either, you are talking about private adoptions.
Virtually no children go into the foster system as babies because all the couples waiting in line are adopting them as fast as they become available. Any failings there are failures of our broken system, because there are mommies and daddies waiting for them.

The other side of the coin are the children who are taken from unfit parents. Sometimes it's abuse. Sometimes it's crime. Sometimes it's drug addiction. And most of the reasons landing them in the foster care system have made them a mess. While it certainly is doing the right thing to foster and adopt anyways, you should forgive newly married couples with fertility problems for wanting a blank slate with no prior baggage. Being a new parent is scary enough without worrying about your newly adopted child being an emotional train-wreck. In a great many of these cases, the child would have been vastly better off being put up for adoption from the beginning. But yes I absolutely advocate for more people to foster and work towards adoption. Now that my own kids are getting bigger, I'm working on warming my wife up to the idea.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Virtually no children go into the foster system as babies because all the couples waiting in line are adopting them as fast as they become available. Any failings there are failures of our broken system, because there are mommies and daddies waiting for them.

The other side of the coin are the children who are taken from unfit parents. Sometimes it's abuse. Sometimes it's crime. Sometimes it's drug addiction. And most of the reasons landing them in the foster care system have made them a mess. While it certainly is doing the right thing to foster and adopt anyways, you should forgive newly married couples with fertility problems for wanting a blank slate with no prior baggage. Being a new parent is scary enough without worrying about your newly adopted child being an emotional train-wreck. In a great many of these cases, the child would have been vastly better off being put up for adoption from the beginning. But yes I absolutely advocate for more people to foster and work towards adoption. Now that my own kids are getting bigger, I'm working on warming my wife up to the idea.
You mean babies who were born to people who shouldn't have been parents to begin with. It's ok in your mind to have those kids languish, sometimes permanently damaged, in a foster care system before aging out and being tossed to the world? What about them? What do you think happens to them?

Old 06-03-2019, 05:33 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

And there will be more of those children if abortion is banned. Some women may give it a go even if they aren't ready to, can afford, or have any business raising children, then those children will end up in the system since they aren't cute little perfect healthy newborns. Like you said it's harder to place a non newborn that may have issues, or even a newborn with medical problems, or that is born drug addicted.

I don't see having more children in the already broken system as a good thing.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
No, it's about saving the children. Many cities and states have safe drop off points for unwanted newborns, everyone is trying to save the babies so they won't be left in trashcans and public restrooms.
And yet many people byatch and moan about mothers who do that in AZ. These are people whom would lean pro-life mind you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies