Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 06:04 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,977 times

Advertisements

Lol...reading thru the comments here is proof why aliens haven't and never will invade and occupy this place...and why parents should homeschool their kids NOT send them to gov't de-education centers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 02:07 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

Robert E. Lee and the rest of them were traitors. Taking up arms against the U.S. government is the very definition of treason.

In a misguided attempt to heal the nation, they were allowed to return home without any real consequences for their treason. We have seen the results.

Before long, we will be treated to posts comparing Confederate traitors to Revolutionary War folks. Why should they be regarded as heroes and Confederates despised as traitors?

Well, had the Revolutionary War folks lost, they would have been hung as traitors. IIRC, Benjamin Franklin said as much while signing the Declaration of Independence.

By pretending the Civil War was all a silly misunderstanding, we have allowed traitors to continue to undermine our nation to this very day.

Sad, really.
I also think about the reason they took up arms. The Confederate cause was explicitly about slavery. The Articles of Secession and the Confederate Constitution could not be more clear about it. I dare someone to refute it. This is why venerating Confederate generals is a very stupid thing to do. This is why flying the Confederate flag, as legal as it is, is a very stupid idea. It is all the more ironic considering that southerners make up the largest portion of the USA's military. Who in their

I do believe there were good intentions involved. Being lenient with Confederate generals, being lenient with Jefferson Davis and Robert E. Lee, it was misguided. The reason was noble. At the same time, those were not wise choices. They needed to be told "it doesn't matter what you think, you were wrong, and you must be punished accordingly".The South needed to be punished more than it was.

Robert E. Lee shouldn't have been venerated. He should have been found guilty for treason and shot to death. He should have died a war criminal's death. Same for Jefferson Davis. He should have died a war criminal's death. Joseph Wheeler, Jubal Early, P.G.T. Beauregard, all should have seen the inside of prison cells or death row.

Instead, a kind of American Cold War took place. The consequences you speak of, they last to this day. Jim Crow was basically the South's way of re-inventing the Confederate dream. Naming schools and streets after Robert E. Lee was a way of keeping the bigoted, Confederate dream alive. All of those Confederate monuments, the same thing. The Confederate flag is one of the most visible legacies of trying to keep the Confederate cause/dream alive. Slavery was abolished, no thanks to the South. However, the old way of doing things, some people still wanted it.

You can't compare those who fought in the Revolutionary War to those who fought for the Confederate cause. Both causes are completely different. The Revolutionary War was about taxation without representation. The Confederate cause was about wanting to keep slavery. Of course, some people would try such a straw man argument. Rather than just admit "Yeah, I know the Confederate cause was about slavery and I'm in favor of it in spite of that (or because of it)", denial is the main way to go about it.

Letting those Confederates get off easy might have been part of the healing process. However, at the end of the day, there was no healing. In order for their to be healing, one has to admit to being wrong, one has to apologize for that wrong doing, and then one has to rectify the situation. Confederate sympathizers were neither sorry nor did they think any wrong doing on their part took place. The Confederates felt that they were the aggrieved party. They fired the first shot, got their rear end handed to them. They were allowed to come back, and they still didn't think they did anything wrong. The South came out of the slavery era kicking and screaming. It was taken out of the Jim Crow era kicking and screaming (and killing in some cases). It's like the war never really ended, but it just went into a Cold War for 100+ years. Jim Crow is over now. It's been over for over 50 years. However, I think some people fly the Confederate flag because they can't do anything else.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Lol...reading thru the comments here is proof why aliens haven't and never will invade and occupy this place...and why parents should homeschool their kids NOT send them to gov't de-education centers...
Can you elaborate in further detail, in specific, the homeschool part??

Old 09-07-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Baloney.

Confederates attacked U.S. forces. Google "Ft. Sumter" if you doubt this.

Confederates were also clear that slavery was the reason. There have been numerous posts listing all the the documents and speeches that were clear about this.

Also, not sure which Constitution you are referring to, but the U.S. Constitution was not and is not on the side of such traitors.

Check out Article III, Section 3.

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying war against them, or in adhering to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort."
Yes, Yes, and Yes. We have the documents to show that the Confederates were wrong, period. And according to the Constitution, Robert E. Lee is a tratior.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That is just a bunch of revisionist nonsense.
Let's just call it what it is. Flat out lies. There are individuals who will lie in order to justify how they feel.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
No, it was settled 150 years ago with resounding finality. There is just a subset of the population who can't seem to let it go and are trying to systematically rewrite history to be "inoffensive ".
It was, and at the same time, it wasn't. The Confederacy surrendered and the former Confederate states were brought back into the USA. At the same time, when it comes to ending wars, this is what must be done. An account of things that hapened during the war needs to take place. And then there needs to be a military tribunal. Confederate generals should have been brought to trial, and tried for treason. Verdicts needed to be reached. Punishments needed to be handed down. Robert E. Lee should not have anything named after him. He should have seen a prison cell or the death penalty. \

By failing to punish those who should have been punished, the war never truly ended. It just went into ceasefire mode.

Old 09-07-2019, 02:28 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,799,670 times
This is just sad. Sad in this 'enlightened' day and age a musical group is bullied for a name. Sad the one-sided view of history so many have. Sad for green mariner, not a happy person......and so biased...

Old 09-07-2019, 02:32 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
On a joking note, Would be funny if NWA got back together and got boycotted for having the N-word in their acronym.

I was out last night and I saw a white girl wearing an N.W.A. t-shirt

Old 09-07-2019, 02:34 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Red Hot Chili Peppers offends Hispanics.
there is a cover band in SoCal called The Red Hot Cholo Peppers

Old 09-07-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
This is just sad. Sad in this 'enlightened' day and age a musical group is bullied for a name. Sad the one-sided view of history so many have. Sad for green mariner, not a happy person......and so biased...
Call me biased all you want. You haven't been able to prove me wrong. I've been able to prove what the Confederate cause was about. You just don't like what I had to say. I'll wear the title of "biased" proudly. Until you can prove me wrong, just admit that you didn't like what I said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies