Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 11:45 AM

13,680 posts, read 9,762,428 times

Advertisements

"In capitalism, Man exploits his fellow Man. In communism, it's the other way around".

Old 07-13-2019, 11:55 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,826,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
"In capitalism, Man exploits his fellow Man. In communism, it's the other way around".

What you wrote is NOT true. In true free market capitalism, no one forces anyone else to buy their goods or services. Both sides can negotiate and IF they both agree on terms, then they can participate in the exchange.

Was I exploiting people when I got them to agree to pay me to mow their yard? Did I or could I compel them to pay me for this work? I don't think so.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,603,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
How does capitalism exploit anybody?

Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 PM

31,135 posts, read 22,174,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm sorry, but this is a very simplistic view of how capitalism works.

Allow me to tell you about capitalism from my perspective.

I'm an engineer working in an engineering firm. My employer secures contracts for engineering projects and I work on these projects. I get paid for the work I do, benefits like insurance and retirement, etc. My employer charges the clients about 3x what I make. So, my employer is able to make a profit from my labor. I also profit from it with my salary.

My husband and I own a business. A real estate business to be specific. We buy distressed properties, spend real money to have contractors fix them up, and rent them out. Our tenants pay us each month. And in return, they get to live in a home with all the appliances and whatnot provided.

Dave Ramsey put it best. In capitalism, you make money by serving others and get paid for your services. At its core, it is actually a very moral system.

Do I believe in unregulated capitalism? Of course not. It's human nature to look for every possible way to maximize benefits/profits, including cheat. We need regulators to make sure everyone gets a fair chance.
Fellow Engineer here. Rep, Well said.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:02 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
What you wrote is NOT true. In true free market capitalism, no one forces anyone else to buy their goods or services. Both sides can negotiate and IF they both agree on terms, then they can participate in the exchange.

Maybe some day some one will try it.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:04 PM

8,169 posts, read 3,717,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. NOT $20,000/year. You're FINALLY learning.

Germany separates their students into vocational and college-bound tracks by ability while they're still quite young. Let's do that in the US, as well. It would stop dumbing-down the highest-ability US school kids.

Apparently, not. I had to correct you on MUCH of your misinformation. Also, apparently, not. Sorry, but only a very few European countries have no property tax. The article I posted lists which they are. Meanwhile, this is how Germany does it:

https://www.gtai.de/GTAI/Navigation/...-property.html

Multiplier "A" is used for Real property used for agriculture and forestry, only.
Multiplier "B" is used for Constructible Real Property or Real Property with buildings.

Germany Trade & Invest (GTAI) is the economic development agency of the Federal Republic of Germany

Oh, and btw, good that you googled the property tax calculation for Germany. Did you miss the part about "the assessed value of the property". So if you knew what you are talking about, you would know that this value has nothing to do with the market value. Some of the values are from the 30s lol.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 PM

31,135 posts, read 22,174,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How does capitalism exploit anybody?
It doesn't. Every Ice cream cart person, nail salon owner, landscaper succeeds in a fair system Capitalistic environment, that is not overtaxed and overregulated by the goverment.

Old 07-13-2019, 12:06 PM

8,169 posts, read 3,717,875 times
Quote:
Why? Why is anyone who cannot afford to provide for children having any? That's the height of irresponsibility, not to mention an automatic recipe for a lifetime of constant financial hardship and struggle.
Lol. So my math was correct after all as opposed to yours and you decided to shift the subject

Old 07-13-2019, 12:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,603,539 times
Quote:
I agree for the most part. I'm quite leery of your last sentence. Too many people include WAY too much under the category of "harming" others. That's why we have idiots demanding that an entry-level minimum wage job should provide enough income for a middle class lifestyle for a family of 4 (or whatever).
I don’t quite understand. I was saying that government must stay away from the business until real harm is created.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:27 PM

1,705 posts, read 540,293 times
I also love Capitalism... but I also Love social programs that helps everybody in my society.
Most 1st world countries are like that..

Republicans are trying to fool people into believing healthcare, military, roads, schools, financial regulations, food safety, environmental protection, subsidizing science, air traffic control, police, fire department, library, worker protection, right to unionize, maternity leave, 5 weeks of paid vacation time, minimum pension when old etc etc... is Communism and very bad for you.

I for one, would not want to live without these social programs! It makes mine and everybody else lives much easier, simpler, better and safer. Even if I have to pay 10-15% more in taxes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies