Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 08:56 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
If we don't support families and we don't want immigrants, who will pay for social security?
Families have been just fine without 6 months of paid parental leave thus far. People are still having kids and going to continue to have kids whether they decide on a SAHP, go on welfare, go back to work soon, take extended leave without pay or actually plan for children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 09:15 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,990,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Families have been just fine without 6 months of paid parental leave thus far. People are still having kids and going to continue to have kids whether they decide on a SAHP, go on welfare, go back to work soon, take extended leave without pay or actually plan for children.
Actually, no, that's not correct. The optimal birth replacement rate for our country is 2.1 and it's been sub-optimal since 1971. Last year it was only 1.76. If we're not going to allow immigrants in, then we need to encourage more births here.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-heal...s-births-women

Old 10-10-2019, 09:30 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
DIL had a baby last March and was given 3 months paid Maternity leave. She was given an extra 6 weeks because she had a C-Section. Works for a national high end retail store.

Daughter was given 6 weeks paid Spousal leave. They don't call it Fathers leave. Different national retail stores. Yes, benefits are given to gay/lesbian employees as well after birth of children.

Edit: Their employee health insurance covered their IVF treatment.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:34 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
If we don't support families and we don't want immigrants, who will pay for social security?
1) We do support families. We provide free education from age 6 through 18, and for those low-income families, we have food stamps, earned child tax credits, susidized housing, free breakfasts and lunches at school, and Medicaid. So....help with education, housing, food, and medical care.

2) Who says we're against immigrants? We're falling behind, and we need educated immigrants - particularly in the sciences and technology - in order to compete globally. Oh wait! You might be getting confused with being opposed to illegal aliens, without high school educations and depending on Americans to provide for their families.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:43 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
DIL had a baby last March and was given 3 months paid Maternity leave. She was given an extra 6 weeks because she had a C-Section. Works for a national high end retail store.

Daughter was given 6 weeks paid Spousal leave. They don't call it Fathers leave. Different national retail stores. Yes, benefits are given to gay/lesbian employees as well after birth of children.

Edit: Their employee health insurance covered their IVF treatment.
That was very generous of the retail store, but it goes above and beyond. I'm in favor of holding open the position for three months, but not necessarily with pay. If an employer decides to go that way, though....fine.

I say this as a former small business owner. My budget was tight, and if I had to pay the salaries of new mothers while also having to pay temps during the months they were out, it would hit my profit (and my own income) noticeably. This would be particularly true if both the women I employed were out on paid maternity leave at the same time, and I had to hire two temps.

So....liberals have to think about the negative impact to others. While so many are patting themselves on the back for forcing employers to "hand out free money" to new mothers, that means that small business owners could see their own incomes cut in half for the duration. Why should new mothers get full salaries for months without working while others have to take a harmful financial hit to provide it? (THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!)

Old 10-10-2019, 10:54 AM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
If we're not going to allow immigrants in, then we need to encourage more births here.
Why?

The population, both in the world and in the U.S., has "skyrocketed" in the last hundred years, and it would do no harm, in my opinion, if the population was allowed to diminish -- plus, if populations were drastically reduced, it might give the earth time to recover from all the damage man has done to it over the last 200 or so years.

However, if there is ever some kind of plague or natural disaster than takes us back to pre-1500 levels (or even pre-1800) levels, then I will change my opinion -- but I hope that I will not live that long (and I probably won't).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population

Old 10-10-2019, 10:54 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That was very generous of the retail store, but it goes above and beyond. I'm in favor of holding open the position for three months, but not necessarily with pay. If an employer decides to go that way, though....fine.

I say this as a former small business owner. My budget was tight, and if I had to pay the salaries of new mothers while also having to pay temps during the months they were out, it would hit my profit (and my own income) noticeably. This would be particularly true if both the women I employed were out on paid maternity leave at the same time, and I had to hire two temps.

So....liberals have to think about the negative impact to others. While so many are patting themselves on the back for forcing employers to "hand out free money" to new mothers, that means that small business owners could see their own incomes cut in half for the duration. Why should new mothers get full salaries for months without working while others have to take a harmful financial hit to provide it? (THERE IS NO FREE LUNCH!)
And them maybe those small businesses would stop hiring women of child bearing age all together? More unintended consequences Progressives never think of because all this stuff makes them "feel good" and they think the money for the paid maternity leave comes from the Tooth Fairy.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:57 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
This is why as a single-male without children I won't be voting Democratic.

Up to $37,500 just for having a baby? About 3.7 million people have a baby a year, it's gotten to the point where these proposals are just bizzare.

Kamala Harris proposed a new plan of 6 months of paid parental leave for having a baby valued at $37,500 considering there are close to 4 million births a year that is quite a large proposal.

She also proposed $6,000 a year reserved for low and middle-income families for emergencies, additionally for families she wants a refundable tax credit for families paying more than 30% of their income in rent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ve-plan-037640

https://gephardtdaily.com/national-i...o-cut-poverty/

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019...6831570470945/

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htm
They will wait until whites are a minority, then start passing measures like this that might not have been a bad idea...30 years ago.

Same thing with free college...they will wait until whites are minorities, and then force us to fund our extermination via paying for all the college educations of others.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:13 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Actually, no, that's not correct. The optimal birth replacement rate for our country is 2.1 and it's been sub-optimal since 1971. Last year it was only 1.76. If we're not going to allow immigrants in, then we need to encourage more births here.
Why, says who. There are 8 billion people on the planet, over 3 million in the US. Our resources are limited, we are destroying the planet, our infrastructure is crumbling, we have a drug epidemic, half the population cant afford to pay for the birth of a child much less caring for it for 18+, only half the minor children in the US lived with married parents. Yet we need more children born to be optimal. More kids conceived by drugged out parents without means who will end up being raised by relatives or single mothers struggling to squeeze child support out of the absent fathers.
Any economic effects of a drastic reduction in fertility over a short period of time are speculative.
Countries with generous mandatory parental leave have roughly the same fertility rates as the US.

Quote:
If we're not going to allow immigrants in, then we need to encourage more births here.
Whaaaaat? Since when is the US not allowing immigrants in. The US allows the highest amount of legal immigrants. That is not including millions of illegals.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:25 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wouldn't say they're just fine.

The US has the highest rate of infant mortality and the children score the lowest on tests within the developed world. Parental involvement in early infancy truly sets the stage for the child's future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies