Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 07:49 AM

1,299 posts, read 823,847 times

Advertisements

In Canada it’s a year, at 55% of income. Paid for by Employment Insurance. Works just fine. I’m old so I only had six months. I’m glad families after that got the year. EI didn’t go broke, and families benefit.

Back in my early parenting days when I was involved in online groups I was blown away by the choices US families have to make, with health care and family care. Six months doesn’t seem like a big deal to me, it’s sad how huge (good or bad) that would be to Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 07:51 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Anecdotal as heck but be careful what you wish for...

On my second job as a very long term part timer selling appliances I got 75 hours of vacation time. I used it to fill in checks that were low. Easy to use. It accrues so just tell your manager you want to use it...

Along comes NJ saying we need to accrue up to 40 hours of sick time.
They took 40 of my vacation hours and put it in sick time. Huge PITA to use requiring forms and sometimes doctor notes.

This was great for people working at the extreme low end who got nothing in paid time off. For those who did get some PTO, they just reclassified part of our PTO and made it MUCH harder to use.

The point is corporations will find a way around it to make the employee pay.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
6 months paid seems very appropriate imo.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:02 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Leave for having a baby covers both parents. Even single fathers can have leave for the birth of their child.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...ds/1130281001/

Paid parental leave for fathers is increasing nationally, with 29% of employers offering paid paternity leave in 2018, up from 12% in 2014.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:12 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
She’s a moron.
Ivanka has made clear Paid Family Leave is part of Trump’s “American Working Families portfolio” . According to this and other sources, there is bipartisan support. The differences are all about how to pay for it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/13/polit...ave/index.html

Similarity, Trump campaigned on “repealing and replacing Obamacare with something that would take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it”. Closer to 2016 Election Day, he was on the campaign trail promising “ better healthcare at a fraction of the cost”.

My point here is that politicians say a lot of things and don’t deliver. So many of the intentions are DOA in Congress.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Why won't she just promise $1 million to everyone?

Old 10-09-2019, 08:22 AM

52,282 posts, read 52,713,798 times
I an effort to out woke and out left others as well as get some headlines she'll throw out whatever she wants to get some screen/air time. She knows she's got no chance, she's got nothing to lose at this point.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:31 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
In Canada it’s a year, at 55% of income. Paid for by Employment Insurance. Works just fine. I’m old so I only had six months. I’m glad families after that got the year. EI didn’t go broke, and families benefit.

Back in my early parenting days when I was involved in online groups I was blown away by the choices US families have to make, with health care and family care. Six months doesn’t seem like a big deal to me, it’s sad how huge (good or bad) that would be to Americans.
It is my understanding both the employer and employee contribute to the premium. Rates may vary by Province.

Insurance dates back to ancient times. Commercial insurance markets have existed for nearly 700 years.

ALL insurance mutualizes ( socializes) risks.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I took 6 months of leave upon the birth of my son. It was just about the right length of time. (Actually, 2 weeks was before the birth, and 5.5 months were after the birth.) Part of it was paid, part used vacation time, and part was without pay. But I returned to my job after. Way back then, my husband got about 2 weeks of paternity leave, but that was in the 80s. I'm sure he could have taken more now. Anyone who writes "just for having a baby?" really doesn't understand the physical, emotional, lifestyle, and relationship adjustments that have to be made, and doesn't understand that this is really best for both the parent and the baby. I haven't read her proposal, so I can't really comment on the particulars. But the general idea this kind of leave is not outside the norm for much of the world.
So is it not as important for those making over $75K/year?

I had two kids, I guess I still dont understand what emotional, lifestyle and relationship adjustments need to be made that requires 6 months of leave time from work. Throughout history parents didnt need a 6 month sabbatical with the birth of every child.
I am certainly not against family leave and do feel working parents should have sufficient leave time after the birth of a child but not 6 months 100% paid by additional payroll taxes on employers and employees.

How does this affect employers having multiple employees out for 6 months at a time. Aside from the expense its got to be difficult to find qualified replacements.

Old 10-09-2019, 08:43 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,966,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Anecdotal as heck but be careful what you wish for...

On my second job as a very long term part timer selling appliances I got 75 hours of vacation time. I used it to fill in checks that were low. Easy to use. It accrues so just tell your manager you want to use it...

Along comes NJ saying we need to accrue up to 40 hours of sick time.
They took 40 of my vacation hours and put it in sick time. Huge PITA to use requiring forms and sometimes doctor notes.

This was great for people working at the extreme low end who got nothing in paid time off. For those who did get some PTO, they just reclassified part of our PTO and made it MUCH harder to use.

The point is corporations will find a way around it to make the employee pay.
The corporations will not find a way if they'll be punished severely if they do. As long as labor unions are destroyed and the working class celebrates the destruction of labor unions, then of course politics will be dominated by corporations and elite interests and not working class interests.

Of course, corporate puppets are all about means testing everything to create division and tension in society, just like SJWs. The more divided the masses are, the better for big money interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies