Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 11:14 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackpershing View Post
Raising a kid on a budget hardly takes millions. Please stop. It does take self discipline and not buying materialistic things and everything that you want. What funny times we live in, when one suggests paying for their own child is seen as unusual or heartless!
Exactly.
At what point did programs designed to address poverty, child poverty, real poverty morph into this monster of entitlement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2019, 11:26 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,537,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
This is why as a single-male without children I won't be voting Democratic.

Up to $37,500 just for having a baby? About 3.7 million people have a baby a year, it's gotten to the point where these proposals are just bizzare.

Kamala Harris proposed a new plan of 6 months of paid parental leave for having a baby valued at $37,500 considering there are close to 4 million births a year that is quite a large proposal.

She also proposed $6,000 a year reserved for low and middle-income families for emergencies, additionally for families she wants a refundable tax credit for families paying more than 30% of their income in rent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ve-plan-037640

https://gephardtdaily.com/national-i...o-cut-poverty/

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019...6831570470945/

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htm
If women quit having children - who will pay for your Medicare? Social Security?

The right wing is already whining that educated white women aren't having enough babies to replace our population. Just ask Steve King.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:27 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
This is why as a single-male without children I won't be voting Democratic.

Up to $37,500 just for having a baby? About 3.7 million people have a baby a year, it's gotten to the point where these proposals are just bizzare.

Kamala Harris proposed a new plan of 6 months of paid parental leave for having a baby valued at $37,500 considering there are close to 4 million births a year that is quite a large proposal.

She also proposed $6,000 a year reserved for low and middle-income families for emergencies, additionally for families she wants a refundable tax credit for families paying more than 30% of their income in rent.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...ve-plan-037640

https://gephardtdaily.com/national-i...o-cut-poverty/

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2019...6831570470945/

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/births.htm
You know that paid maternity leave (usually 10-months or longer) is the norm in most developed countries, right?

Old 10-09-2019, 11:36 AM

4,511 posts, read 1,866,083 times
Why do we reward people for having children??

I just don’t get it.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:39 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
6 months paid seems very appropriate imo.

You pay it then.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:48 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The corporations will not find a way if they'll be punished severely if they do. As long as labor unions are destroyed and the working class celebrates the destruction of labor unions, then of course politics will be dominated by corporations and elite interests and not working class interests.

Of course, corporate puppets are all about means testing everything to create division and tension in society, just like SJWs. The more divided the masses are, the better for big money interests.
Explain how they would be punished for example in my scenario which, talking to my workmates at my 2nd job is common. They just move the required time into another category. A much harder to use category.

This only helped people with less than 40 hours of paid time off.

Note, hopefully you realize by now, I hate both parties. What I find is no matter who wins, big corporations win the most.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:53 AM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
For all of the people advocating for all of the European style social benefits I wonder if someone sat down done some real hard math and presented real life information about just how much of a bite out of your paycheck that people are in actually really willing to put up with. I'm fine with the level of social safety net / benefits we have now, not real interested in paying even more, especially when we factor in the illegal alien crowd that the Dem frontrunners wanna include into that tally.

Old 10-09-2019, 11:59 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
While 6 months is a bit on the more generous end, literally every single other country on the planet has some form of paid parental leave.

Edit- Sorry, except Papua New Guinea

Old 10-09-2019, 12:03 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I think it is a great proposition. Families are the basis of a society and IMO in America we have more crime and more issues because we don't value family like other modern nations and the importance of bonding with children. Children do better when they have a parent at home with them. As another poster said, in most of Europe this is standard.

On salary amounts, IMO that is not what most people will get. I don't like her methods for the federal tax amount though. IMO she should come up with a better funding method. The responsibility should be shared, in part by government though.

Old 10-09-2019, 12:26 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
For all of the people advocating for all of the European style social benefits I wonder if someone sat down done some real hard math and presented real life information about just how much of a bite out of your paycheck that people are in actually really willing to put up with. I'm fine with the level of social safety net / benefits we have now, not real interested in paying even more, especially when we factor in the illegal alien crowd that the Dem frontrunners wanna include into that tally.
Americans pay almost as much as other citizens of the developed world do, yet they receive far less. Part of that is because of the incessant dummycrat worship of illegals, but let's be real here. For the considerably lower level of social services and benefits (and even things like consumer/worker protections), Americans should be paying WAY less in taxes than they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies