Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe affirmative action is needed anymore
Yes 2 7.14%
No 26 92.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
In time I suspect AA will be outlawed period. The universities be the start.

Government or private business caught using race as a factor in hiring can expect lawsuits.
A friend of mine with a college degree and years on the job lost out on a promotion to a black woman with a HS diploma hired less than a year earlier. My friend sued - and won. (This took place in a predominately black-staffed federal agency in Baltimore.) She got the higher GS rating AND all the back pay.

I do think we will see more lawsuits as the racist preferences in hiring and promotions become more and more blatant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2019, 12:39 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That condescending ilk business just reeks of your feeling of superiority. That's what racists do, by the way. Group people together and then look down their nose on them.

I didn't benefit from the legacy process. How in your mind you can figure I did is just more deluded liberal craziness talk. I got into a good school by virtue of my own academic record and ability - as it should be.
Why yes, I do look down my nose at Conservatives. Arguments like this reinforce the negative traits infesting your ideology.

You didn't now, but you hope to benefit from it later on so your kids get that easy access. That's why you and your ilk NEVER have a bad thing to say about legacy, donation, extracurricular activities, etc. You know you can use those to skip the line. But being a historically disenfranchised group? You can't benefit from that so that's okay to get rid of.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:40 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And if you were robbed of a place at a great school, it was more likely that an "undeserving" White student took your place. Yet you guys ONLY focus your outrage at Black & Brown families. That shows how you think of minorities. A White kid getting a hand up? "Oh that's okay!" A Black kid getting a hand up? "The system is unfair!"

And I know exactly why you and your ilk do this. You want to benefit from this system. The more legacies that get admitted, means you have a chance of passing on that privilege. You don't get to benefit from that privilege if it's limited to minorities, so you're excited to get rid of it.

Here's the theory.

Because non-blacks throughout history are responsible for the greater good of society, every single one - above average to average to mediocre to below average - deserves a hand up. Because all non-blacks are products of highly motivated, highly intelligent, highly skilled, most diverse in thought and enlightened people, almost all should have a decent shot at greatness. And since almost all are the hardest, most productive workers, almost all are deserving of hand ups or even hand outs whenever and wherever needed.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
In time I suspect AA will be outlawed period. The universities be the start.

Government or private business caught using race as a factor in hiring can expect lawsuits.
Sure. If the ignorant bigots have their way, I'm sure that's a possibility.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
We need to go to a straight income-based AA system. You're a poor Jew from the Bronx with the same SAT score (and grades) as a middle-class black from Lawn-Guy-Land? The Jew should get preference.

Its not the same. The impact of racial oppression was not simply economic. The problem is that Asians, Jews, Hispanics......all have positive traits associated with their groups that can bring economic benefit to traditional oppressors or people who "generally" might not like the group. Hispanics are seen as hard workers and hence will likely get hired over a black person, all other things being equal. Asians are seen as smart and that is a stereotype that will promote their hiring. Jews are seen as smart and have other positive economic attributes. Blacks, however, are seen as not having anything to offer and being high risk employees. The only way they are favored is if your company has something to do with sports.

A poor white, a poor Jew, a poor Latino and a poor black.......ARE NOT SEEN THE SAME. There is a hiring hierarchy among that group of poor that would make it easier for some in that group to rise out of poverty than others.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:53 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Someone with a 550/800 SAT score in Math is going to fail at MIT. Race has nothing to do with it.
OP doesn’t have a clue.

Old 10-23-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Here's the theory.

Because non-blacks throughout history are responsible for the greater good of society, every single one - above average to average to mediocre to below average - deserves a hand up. Because all non-blacks are products of highly motivated, highly intelligent, highly skilled, most diverse in thought and enlightened people, almost all should have a decent shot at greatness. And since almost all are the hardest, most productive workers, almost all are deserving of hand ups or even hand outs whenever and wherever needed.
If you forced each of these so-called meritocrats to defend their position in light of the historic benefits the privileged class has enjoyed, that's the conclusion they'd end up at. And most them would still say "that's fine."

Old 10-23-2019, 12:58 PM

13,749 posts, read 8,004,726 times
Quote:
Sure. If the ignorant bigots have their way, I'm sure that's a possibility.
Right. There's really no debating the issue. If H.C. had won perhaps she would be pushing the courts toward stronger AA laws.

But she didn't. Trump won.

I grew up under AA when it was going full force. Now, I might have thought it unfair but learned to dance to the tune.

If the USSC begins to dismantle AA you'll have to do the same. You may not like it but tough toenails.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:00 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Why yes, I do look down my nose at Conservatives. Arguments like this reinforce the negative traits infesting your ideology.

You didn't now, but you hope to benefit from it later on so your kids get that easy access. That's why you and your ilk NEVER have a bad thing to say about legacy, donation, extracurricular activities, etc. You know you can use those to skip the line. But being a historically disenfranchised group? You can't benefit from that so that's okay to get rid of.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Here's the theory.

Well said.

Old 10-23-2019, 01:09 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times
Quote:

You didn't now, but you hope to benefit from it later on so your kids get that easy access. That's why you and your ilk NEVER have a bad thing to say about legacy, donation, extracurricular activities, etc. You know you can use those to skip the line. But beicng a historically disenfranchised group? You can't benefit from that so that's okay to get rid of.
And that undeserved superiority you feel toward your fellow Americans who don't agree with you is why the democrat will lose. Again.

And your imaginary scenario that we want FAIR admissions standards because we will somehow gain from legacy is crazy. You and your ilk demonstrate an unreal hostility toward whites who get good grades and scores, and thus gain admittance by virtue of their own abilities and hard work.

Hint: Blacks will not get whites to feel less racist toward them, to whatever extent they do, by showing how much disdain they have for white people. I can't believe the racist, anti-white comments by black people on this thread alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies