Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it good or bad that the wealthiest 1% will have more wealth than the combined total of the entire
Good 11 6.15%
Bad 92 51.40%
doesn't matter/ makes no difference 76 42.46%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Who cares about this crap?

It is their lawfully owned money. How is that in anyway your damn business?

Don’t like any of those companies? Don’t buy their products.
If the middle class keeps getting smaller and smaller, there won't be enough people who do want to buy to keep many companies in business. The rich are only willing and able to buy so much, including luxuries, to prosper the economy. One can only go on one luxury cruise at a time. Do many billionaires want to buy one mansion for each day of the year? I doubt it.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If the middle class keeps getting smaller and smaller, there won't be enough people who do want to buy to keep many companies in business. The rich are only willing and able to buy so much, including luxuries to prosper the economy. One can only go on one luxury cruise at a time. Do many billionaires want to buy one mansion for each day of the year? I doubt it.
If? Talk to me when that happens. In the meantime, mind your own business and hands off other people’s money.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
Quote:
If the middle class keeps getting smaller and smaller, there won't be enough people who do want to buy to keep many companies in business. The rich are only willing and able to buy so much, including luxuries, to prosper the economy. One can only go on one luxury cruise at a time. Do many billionaires want to buy one mansion for each day of the year? I doubt it.
Then the businesses will have to make hard choices in order to remain viable won't they? Competition will kick into overdrive and the consumer will benefit. Businesses that don't adapt to the changing landscape fall by the wayside. And perhaps we'll all learn to live with a little less than living with excess.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:01 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Who cares about this crap?

It is their lawfully owned money. How is that in anyway your damn business?

Don’t like any of those companies? Don’t buy their products.
Speaking of crap: my household, upper middle class, pays higher tax rates than the 0.01%, why is that? How is it ok, that a 1 billion + compensation is subject to a 23.8% when it is CLEARLY a fee for service?

Not only that, but a lot of my tax money goes to causes I don't approve of.

Laws? But of course, the loophole I mentioned above (as just one example) is part of that. Do you want to know who "sponsors" it?

Old 11-12-2019, 09:11 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Spot on. Unsustainable long term. What kept the consumer economy going was the globalization, new markets, billions of new consumers. The irony is, we have trade wars now. Go figure.

Old 11-12-2019, 09:15 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,666,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
So? Rich people don't owe me their money. And them being rich doesn't hurt me.
I have found myself in the 1% class. It was by no means planned. As a child of Italian immigrants who fled a dictatorship, I know my parents wanted better for me. And god knows I work a lot, and hard, but... This is profoundly unhealthy.

I have a good enough life. I think that's all you get to ask for in this world. But I want more for the country I live in, and that is mutually exclusive to a system that is building a new aristocratic minority completely free from consequence.

Quite aside from the fact that I already know how this story ends, I want better for you even if you do not think you deserve it. And "better" here is "equal to", because right now, you are so far removed from me that we might as well be living in different nations. You certainly do not enjoy equal opportunity. You do not possess equal access to education, health care, or even justice.

We have two very different justice systems right now, and mine will steamroll you into oblivion before you can even sigh in disbelief.

That is bad. It is unsustainable. It is antithetical to everything the United States is about. Americans are without question some of the hardest working people in the world, and never before have you been more certain to die having worked for nothing. Because equality of opportunity does not exist, you can work as many jobs as you want as hard as you like. It doesn't matter.

If you happen to be among the majority of people for whom wage income is the most important source of income, you have never been getting a worse deal.

I agree that it is not rich people specifically or wealth in general that is the problem. But let's not pretend that this is healthy or normal, and let us also not pretend that we don't know damn well what the solutions are. Everyone is guaranteed the equality to succeed based on hard work, not because they have a trust fund.

Old 11-13-2019, 02:53 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Speaking of crap: my household, upper middle class, pays higher tax rates than the 0.01%.
I doubt it. The top 400 US 1040 filers (minimum income: $128 million) pay an average effective federal income tax rate of a little over 23%.

What's your household's effective federal income tax rate?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-middle-class

According to the article this can be chalked up to multimillionaires and billionaires putting their funds into the stock market rapidly appreciating its value, then qualifying for investments in private equity funds which grow based on interest in debt/loans.

That means the more money they have, the more opportunity they have to invest in collective funds like PEF.

Its all a feedback loop as more investment in the stock market increases the overall value.

Since this is great for tax revenue, both republicans and democrats consider this progress.

Are you Ok with this? I'm guessing most of you are because of the wide spread belief that the rich 'earn' their money.

Lets put it to a Poll and find out.
Those that DON'T have, are ALWAYS JEALOUS of those the DO!

"That means the more money they have, the more opportunity they have to invest in collective fund" DUH!

Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Those that DON'T have, are ALWAYS JEALOUS of those the DO!

"That means the more money they have, the more opportunity they have to invest in collective fund" DUH!
Not cash on hand but total asset through stock market value. There is a threshold of the amount you need to be allowed to invest in equity funds and the like.

These funds go to government bond, bank debts, and other stable investments that aren't productive for society but offer easy capital gain and make the credit system more aggressive.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:19 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Speaking of crap: my household, upper middle class, pays higher tax rates than the 0.01%, why is that? How is it ok, that a 1 billion + compensation is subject to a 23.8% when it is CLEARLY a fee for service?

Not only that, but a lot of my tax money goes to causes I don't approve of.

Laws? But of course, the loophole I mentioned above (as just one example) is part of that. Do you want to know who "sponsors" it?
"upper middle class, pays higher pays higher tax rates"

Come back when the govt collect "rates" instead of REAL MONEY.

Many probably pay MORE in taxes then you make.

They also are the ones who BUY the MOST products which creates JOBS. It is called Trickle Down, which many on the left deny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies