Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
They will surely not tell you. Fact is I see blacks at Trump memorabilia stands buying Trump hats and shirts.

The democrat party can really create some bad talking points like WHITE PRIVILEGE..telling whites they are better off then people with black skin.. if that isn't white supremacy I don't know what is. Dems are the racist party .
They won’t tell me, but they’d tell YOU??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 07:07 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
And I believe that's because they aren't talking about it. The only way the Black vote doesn't improve for Trump is if the economy tanks.

Trump isn't going to carry Cal. in 2020. That's a given. It's the battleground states which are important. Do you really think Hispanics working in the AZ or Fl. housing industry for example want more competition?

The Dem leadership learned the hard way in 2016 not to underestimate the Trump vote. I think they are scared to death Trump is quietly peeling away Black and Hispanic voters.
And I believe you are wrong. How many Black people do you talk to on a daily basis? How do you know they simply aren't talking about it?

And you don't know if Trump will carry California or not. Even Hispanic individuals who are against illegals aren't going to forget the things Trump has said. You don't garner votes by alienating an ethnic group. Many may not like the competition. At the same time, many will still remember some of the things he said, and how he alienated many Hispanics.

Now, I know a few Hispanic Trump supporters. However, these are mostly Hispanics who come from South America, they are conservative Roman Catholics, often coming from middle/middle upper class background in their own countries. Or, a few are Hispanics who grew up in majority-White, conservative, Protestant communities and they themselves are Protestant. One particular Hispanic Trump voter that I know doesn't hang out with many Hispanics at all. Mostly Whites he hangs out with.

The Democratic leadership underestimated something, but it wasn't the Trump vote. It was their own base. Again, how many times to I have to re-iterate this. A drop in voter turnout is part of what played a role some swing states. Trump won Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, but barely. And he didn't win the popular vote. How he won the electorate without winning the popular vote, that is something to consider.

Old 11-13-2019, 07:19 AM

73,027 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
They won’t tell me, but they’d tell YOU??
DD, I live in the South. I was living in Georgia for a while. I'm in Alabama at the moment. I've come across plenty of Trump memorabilia. On cars, people wearing MAGA hats, Trump shirts. I've noticed one thing. No Black people having any kind of Trump memorabilia. This is true for Black people living in Black neighborhoods. This is true for Blacks living in White neighborhoods. No Trump memorabilia among Black Americans. Every person I've seen with a Trump bumper sticker or a MAGA hat has been White.

Most Black people don't like Trump. It is what it is. Many people are just gaslighting.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:16 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
When you double your support levels from 2% to 4 % among a very small and very specific demographic (black republican males), its really not life changing.
This and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I think that is healthy, if true. The republicans don't need the black vote and don't really care to represent the interest of blacks. They just want to weaken the democrats. Hence, it behooves democrats to now make blacks a counter offer....if that figure is true.

I don't vote in national elections because I am not happy with democrats or republicans. Certainly democrats have a better chance of getting my vote than republicans.....but I am not going to give it to them for nothing.
It is a miniscule amount of support that Trump has amongst black males. It is funny to me that the OP chose to ignore that 85% of black voters, per their source, said they'd vote for any Democrat over Trump lol.

I'm one of the 85%. Depending on where the other 5-10% live will be important.

Is Trump's support amongst black men only raising in the south, where he will win in the electorate anyway (like GA, SC, FL, AL, TN, KY, MS, etc.) Or his his support in the Midwest and upper south and Mid Atlantic where it will be more of a factor (OH, MI, WI, MN, IL, PA, etc).

Knowing the breakdown of where that small percentage of black men resides would be the most important thing to know. I'll note that in my own family I have a few black male relatives who are Republicans. Even my own husband is more of a conservative voter and himself, but none of them have proclaimed any vote for Trump. Interestingly, they also are very into speaking of the ills of white supremacy racism and all of them believe that Trump is a white supremacists (often they state "we have a white supremacist in the White House and your black a$$ is worried about XYZ! LOL they are very dramatic). So they won't support him.

Most of the people in this forum are very naive and stuck in a stereotype about black voters. We are not like you think we are and there is a lot of infighting in the Democratic sphere to obtain our support most of the time. I do think that whoever the Democratic nominee ends up being will have to make some sort of heavy promises to black America and especially advertise in black media outlets in important local markets and in solid "blue" districts with a large black population (like Chicago - many black Chicagoans were upset that HRC didn't advertise on black radio stations in Chicago in 2016 - this sort of "news" was in all the black talk radio shows and podcasts that I personally listen to. Black Americans are heavy consumers of black radio and podcasts that speak to our specific issues so this being mentioned in Chicago, made it to Detroit - I listed to black talk radio out of Detroit - and the Detroit djs and listeners started complaining about it too. IMO it was a factor of her losing MI as the turnout amongst black voters decreased in metro Detroit and MI at large in 2016. Hopefully the Democratic candidate is aware of this factor for 2016 and won't make the same mistakes that HRC did.

I'll also note, which I'm sure some of the black male posters don't want to admit, that black males a small segment of them - probably the Trump supporters, don't have a desire to have any sort of woman in a position of power. They also have a prejudice against gays and don't like to hear about any social issues that don't have to do with black people at-large. My relatives are very much like this and even my husband is like this. He doesn't "agree" with LGBTQ lifestyles and he does feel there is an "agenda" going on - as does my uncles who are involved in our local Republican party but who are not supporters of Trump because he's a white supremacists. Black men like all other voters have a large amount of diversity.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:22 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
DD, I live in the South. I was living in Georgia for a while. I'm in Alabama at the moment. I've come across plenty of Trump memorabilia. On cars, people wearing MAGA hats, Trump shirts. I've noticed one thing. No Black people having any kind of Trump memorabilia. This is true for Black people living in Black neighborhoods. This is true for Blacks living in White neighborhoods. No Trump memorabilia among Black Americans. Every person I've seen with a Trump bumper sticker or a MAGA hat has been White.

Most Black people don't like Trump. It is what it is. Many people are just gaslighting.
The black people who like Trump usually live in a lily white community.

I live in Ohio and I've seen black men with MAGA hats on, but they had white wives and live in communities that are 99% white (they and their kids are the 1% lol).

I also know some black men in metro Atlanta who are Trump supporters (associates of a friend of mine w ho is involved politically in GA). They don't advertise their support of Trump with memorabilia.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:00 AM

13,748 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
And I believe you are wrong. How many Black people do you talk to on a daily basis? How do you know they simply aren't talking about it?

And you don't know if Trump will carry California or not. Even Hispanic individuals who are against illegals aren't going to forget the things Trump has said. You don't garner votes by alienating an ethnic group. Many may not like the competition. At the same time, many will still remember some of the things he said, and how he alienated many Hispanics.

Now, I know a few Hispanic Trump supporters. However, these are mostly Hispanics who come from South America, they are conservative Roman Catholics, often coming from middle/middle upper class background in their own countries. Or, a few are Hispanics who grew up in majority-White, conservative, Protestant communities and they themselves are Protestant. One particular Hispanic Trump voter that I know doesn't hang out with many Hispanics at all. Mostly Whites he hangs out with.

The Democratic leadership underestimated something, but it wasn't the Trump vote. It was their own base. Again, how many times to I have to re-iterate this. A drop in voter turnout is part of what played a role some swing states. Trump won Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, but barely. And he didn't win the popular vote. How he won the electorate without winning the popular vote, that is something to consider.

Because I was in work environment and currently am in family setting where it isn't wise to talk about supporting Trump. I like the increased personal deduction on my tax return and the fact I see help wanted signs everywhere (Phx metro area.) I own rental property and rents are on the rise. But I am not going to risk getting into an argument over the fact I plan to vote for Trump.

No doubt there are Blacks who didn't vote for Trump in 2016 but who are happy with the way things are going too. But like me are careful not to discuss politics in public.

The Democratic leadership underestimated something, but it wasn't the Trump vote. It was their own base. Again, how many times to I have to re-iterate this.

So what? It's unlikely the 1/5 additional support Obama got is going to show up in 2020. I believe the Dem leadership understands this. Therefore, they absolutely need those who regularly vote to support the Dem top ticket - 90% plus in order to win back the White House..

But that's not going to happen if the economy keeps humming along. And Trump quietly continues to peel off Black voters.

Last edited by john3232; 11-13-2019 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-13-2019, 09:20 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:

Well, to be fair, John3232 said Trump isn't going to carry California. He's right about that. But that's it.

You'll probably find more Hispanic Trump supporters among the Cuban American community, and in particular, South Florida - because they've been Republican leaning for decades to begin with.

But California Latinos? Nada.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:44 AM

13,748 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, to be fair, John3232 said Trump isn't going to carry California. He's right about that. But that's it.

You'll probably find more Hispanic Trump supporters among the Cuban American community, and in particular, South Florida - because they've been Republican leaning for decades to begin with.

But California Latinos? Nada.

The economy stays strong and the Hispanic/Black vote will increase for Trump. In battleground states this will be a huge problem for the Dems

Old 11-13-2019, 09:51 AM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times
some of you forget, Trump will run against another person. All this banter means nothing until the Democratic candidate is spawned. Then you'll have a choice.

Old 11-13-2019, 09:52 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,303,358 times
Trumps cons outweigh any pros he may have amongst blacks and latinos. As one of each I feel comfortable saying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies