Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2019, 04:57 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
They have no legal right to stop you and they know it.

So, I can grab a TV, and walk right by them, all the while knowing it's not paid for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 05:05 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
So, I can grab a TV, and walk right by them, all the while knowing it's not paid for?
No, because they would have the evidence from their dozens of cameras of you picking one up and not paying for it! The whole point here is not showing a receipt is NOT a reason to be detained, which yes, that's exactly what this is.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:11 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,504,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always have my receipt ready at Walmart and Costco.

I have nothing to hide and it only takes a few seconds. There will always be SJWs with chips on their shoulders looking to be offended.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/treated-c...090000205.html

Must have learned a lesson from our dear president! When Trump is asked to produce a receipt or two he claimed recently "I have been treated very very badly. Only few people have been treated worse".

Old 11-13-2019, 05:20 PM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
No, because they would have the evidence from their dozens of cameras of you picking one up and not paying for it! The whole point here is not showing a receipt is NOT a reason to be detained, which yes, that's exactly what this is.

I understand, but my point is, even though people use the self check out, and they pass the item over the scanner does not mean they scanned it...

Oh, and there is also this...they just walk out...

Quote:
Florence Police are looking for a woman they said dressed as a Walmart employee in order to walk out the door with merchandise.

https://www.al.com/news/2019/10/susp...olice-say.html

And there are many more, you can google it if you'd like, or I'll provide the links..?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:25 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I always have my receipt ready at Walmart and Costco.

I have nothing to hide and it only takes a few seconds. There will always be SJWs with chips on their shoulders looking to be offended.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/treated-c...090000205.html
Don’t like it, then don’t shop there. They have the right to check everyone’s receipt. It’s not discriminatory because it’s for all customer.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:34 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
This is what I do. Sooo convenient. (Well, not super convenient because we do not buy meat or produce at Walmart so we still have to actually shop at another store. But it's awesome for everything else!) We have only had one time that there was one item wrong. Otherwise it's been perfect.
Actually, right after I leave Walmart with my pickup order I usually go right up the street to Wegmans for my fruits and veggies, skinny sushi, and rotisserie chicken. Those I don't like or can't find at Walmart anyway.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:54 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
Don’t like it, then don’t shop there. They have the right to check everyone’s receipt. It’s not discriminatory because it’s for all customer.
Actually, they don't. They have the right to ask but once you've gone through the cash register and exchanged money for the merchandise it's yours. It's not different than stopping you at the parking lot exit and asking to see your receipt and to step out of your vehicle so they can search it. They can ask. I wouldn't let them do that. I generally don't have a problem with them checking my receipt at the door, although if it's inconvenient I do just simply say "No thank you." They have a legal right to detain me under shopkeeper's privilege laws which vary from state to state. They're actually usually reluctant to do that though as there's a lot of liability that goes along with that so they're not going to do so simply because you didn't consent them searching your property. If it's just going to be 30 seconds to scan my receipt and paw through the cart, it's no big deal to me. If I walk up and there's ten people stacked up and I can see the receipt checker is diligently going item by item and it's going to take me five minutes to leave the store, then I just walk out with a polite "No thank you." It's not a big deal, done it many times and never had any problem. They either train their employees or they just don't care enough to do anything.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:58 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
In my state, they don't have the legal right to check it.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:04 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
you're still on their property.
Explain why that matters? Can't wait to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
please promise me that you'll never be in front of me in any checkout or exit line.
I can promise you you'll never be in front of me when it comes to defending the rights of the individual. It takes an adult to stand up to tyranny.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:21 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
Bunch of nothing.Shoplifting has been deemed not a crime in many places and Police will let it slide.So store owners are left on their own to stop the thieves from stealing.I have no problem showing my purchase it takes 5 sec and keeps prices lower.So all you in favor of protecting thieves from being stopped have it all wrong and have never tried to board a plane.Your so called rights end when you enter someone else's private property which was your choice and you can avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies