Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2019, 02:23 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,262,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
OMG
Really not such a stupid question. In the meantime, however, I looked for the answer. More than OMG. The legal opinions are varied, the President can appear before Congress but refuse to answer any questions other than his name and position, says one expert. Still another says no, he is not compelled to testify.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:53 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,393,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
BUT - none of the foregoing is of any consequence whatsoever to Trump's attempts to withhold UNITED STATE FOREIGN AID FOR HIS OWN PERSONAL POLITICAL GAIN which is why impeachment hearings were begun - and why this thread exists.

Trump's only reason for withholding this money was to obtain a political sound byte (the announcement of an investigation by Ukraine) to use against Biden. This has been well documented in the hearings. It didn't matter if there never was an investigation. Trump wanted that sound byte to attack Biden at his never-ending ego rallies.

There is NO legitimacy - in fact it is illegal - to withhold Congressionally designated United States financial aid to a foreign country - until that country complies with your personal political objective. It's called abuse of power, extortion, and is against campaign finance laws (quid pro quo).

This is yet another of Trump's baseless attempts at character assassination. He will say and do anything if there is personal gain in it for him.

Clearly, you did not hear Sondland's opening statement nor did you hear the testimony of Volker and Morrison, nor anything else of consequence, for that matter.

What has come through loud and clear in these hearings is Trump is a dishonest, self-serving, dangerous and irresponsible leader - who compromises national security every day he walks into that Oval Office.

He is unfit for the office and needs to be removed. Do I think that will happen - no. We have to live with that crazy monster for another year. Let's hope that's all it is.
LOL, The Sondland switcharoo didn't go over so well.

Old 11-21-2019, 03:54 AM

996 posts, read 379,770 times
Was that Gordon testifying or Frankie Pentangeli?

Did you see Adam’s face when he couldn’t get the answer he needed? Pack it up Adam. What a disgrace. The Framers must have had this Rogue group of Democrat “ Intelligence “ bunch in mind when they wrote the Constitution. Grandmaster of Smoke and Mirrors Adam, Stinky Swallwell and the rest of them sure look angry.

Angry because they can’t make a case against POTUS. Opinions, guesses , perceptions and lies, but no EVIDENCE of direct involvement by POTUS. Gordon said it “ I want nothing , no quid Pro Quo “. And that’s the whole ballgame folks.

It’s over Adam. It’s over.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:31 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,547,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Can the President be ordered to testify during impeachment process?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindi Waters View Post
Really not such a stupid question. In the meantime, however, I looked for the answer. More than OMG. The legal opinions are varied, the President can appear before Congress but refuse to answer any questions other than his name and position, says one expert. Still another says no, he is not compelled to testify.
It doesn’t matter Trump doesn’t have the balls to show up of course between his lawyers and his doctors note, he’ll find an excuse not to go Trump knows he would incriminate himself if he went.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:35 AM

20,127 posts, read 16,173,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Trump's polls (released today) show him moving ahead in Wisconson. A very real warning that the dems are going to lose the mid-west again and with that any chance of replacing him.

Americans, by & large, are fair...and that's what the left refuses to understand. They know that after the Russian fiasco & 3 years of this "show me the man and I'll show you the crime" theatre...the public has had enough.

I'm not one to give advice to the other side, but the democrats should censure Trump in the House & wipe their hands of this. It's politically the best way to salvage this situation IMHO for them.
At this juncture this would probably produce the best outcome for Democrats. It would be unquestionably the best route for the nation as a whole. Too bad they unlikely take that easy out.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:52 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Yet the crazed Jordan won't answer as to why the White House won't allow the president and his 3 thugs, Pompeo, Mulanvey, and Pence to testify.
Yet when crazed shifty schiff ALLOWS the repubs to have their OWN witness's, maybe Trump will.

Then again after today's hearing this fiasco should be OVER!

Old 11-21-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
If the standard of guilt is to be predicated on the accused unequivocally saying "I did it" we'd best be prepared to never convict an embezzler, a rapist or a murderer because (and this may be news to some) very few convictions result from the perp saying "I did it".
"we'd best be prepared to never convict an embezzler, a rapist or a murderer because (and this may be news to some) very few convictions result from the perp saying "I did it""

I agree we should NEVER want anyone like clinton again!

Old 11-21-2019, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The full quote - Trump wanted Zelensky to the "right thing" - and the full context (timing) was discussed earlier in this thread. You can find it. Oh, what the heck I'll look it up:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ny/4247608002/

Based on what Sondland independently observed, Trump was lying - or not lying for he still wanted Zelensky to do the "right thing" which for Trump meant the investigations.

Trump also had Sondland text to Bill Taylor that there was no quid pro quo. That text was the basis for Sondland first revised testimony. For Sondland first spun it as his observation of the events. Then later he admitted he was only texting what Trump directed.

This third testimony makes clears that Sondland's observation of events led him to believe there was a quid pro quo to hold up military aid, regardless of what Trump again told him.

"for he still wanted Zelensky to do the "right thing" which for Trump meant the investigations."

The "do the right thing" was for the NEW president to do what he RAN ON., to go after CORRUPTION in his country.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Direct quotes from Amb. Sondland:

“Was there a quid pro quo? As I testified previously, with regard to the requested White House call and White House meeting, the answer is yes,”

“Everyone was in the loop. It was no secret,”

The required investigations came from Giuliani "express direction of the President."
Which LATER he revised and said CLEARLY, there was NO quid pro quo.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
The aid was released only after the announcement of an investigation to the withholding of the aid.
There was NO investigation and the money was released.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies