Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 04:15 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Sounds to me like a great incentive for more people to put solar panels on their roofs.

They aren't cost effective, and many can not be used to charge vehicle due to the requirements power companies (utilities) put on how the systems are installed. I would love to be off the grid, but regulations don't allow that, so if I just can't power my home just with solar panels. I HAVE to be connected to street power. Also, sometimes it is cloudy here, and DARK so no power is generated. It just isn't practical in many areas due to the intermittent nature of solar power and the COST.

Old 12-03-2019, 04:41 AM

25,777 posts, read 12,840,301 times
I think having 1 electric car for local use, and 1 gas car for the 2nd commuter in the family and for long range trips makes the most sense for most families that have 2 cars and live in moderate climate with flat or subtle terrain.

Electric vehicles are not for every person in every situation...yet. By the time electric will be ready (adequate #'s of charging stations that charge in <10 minutes), hydrogen fuel cell cars will be all the rage, and those will replace electric cars/trucks.

My next car will likely be electric, but we'll keep 1 gasoline SUV too for longer trips.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:07 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
The parking spaces in front of the chargers at both of my Whole Foods locations are almost always empty.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:07 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,578,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And the energy used to power the batteries still had to come from someplace.
The juice for my EV comes from my roof solar panels. Free and clean.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The parking spaces in front of the chargers at both of my Whole Foods locations are almost always empty.
So are the handicap spaces. Maybe we should get rid of both?

Old 12-03-2019, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I think having 1 electric car for local use, and 1 gas car for the 2nd commuter in the family and for long range trips makes the most sense for most families that have 2 cars and live in moderate climate with flat or subtle terrain.
1 EV and 1 ICE (internal combustion engine) car works for us. I really miss my Costco gas station crew. When I gassed up the ICE car last week, they ran over to me. They thought I died.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:14 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
1 EV and 1 ICE (internal combustion engine) car works for us. I really miss my Costco gas station crew. When I gassed up the ICE car last week, they ran over to me. They thought I died.

That's a good compromise, but I don't know why you have to make it. What if the ICE car is in the shop, or won't start, and you need to go on a long tri? Do you rent a car? It has happened to me and thankfully I have a second car I just drive on weekends and was able to use that.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:46 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
The juice for my EV comes from my roof solar panels. Free and clean.

1. You must have some massive solar panels.

2. How much did you pay for the panels and installation?
How many tanks of gas in a fuel efficient car could you have bought with the money you spent on the solar set up? At what point do you "break even" and actually begin to have "free" juice?

3. How do you think the government is going to replace the tax revenue if everyone did what you're doing?.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:50 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
Earth to 'enviro'-gadget heads: Wishing doesn't make it as practical as liquid fuel.

https://www.infowars.com/video-tesla...tric-vehicles/
It is a disadvantage right now for a Tesla versus a traditional ICE car but I had no problem charging around Seattle during the holidays. I would hope and expect Tesla to address this going forward...they better.

To be fair, Tesla and EV's in general are not the best for long term travel and most likely won't be for many years to come.

Old 12-03-2019, 05:59 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
I'm against their subsidies. I'm against digging up millions of miles of surface, and building that many more high tension towers, to increase the size of the transmission lines their cult will need if all their neighbors have one too. I'm against building more area-swallowing generation for those lines based on PV and wind turbines. I'm against their slow return-to-road times as their power sources deplete. I'm against misguided, proactive attempts by a cult to do away with liquid fueled counterparts to EVs.
The efficiency and loss ratio of battery powered cars versus ICE loss means that it's far more efficient to use batteries so this is a better long term solution than burning liquid fuel inside a car and suffering those huge losses. It will mean increasing the grid and changing infrastructure but this is still going to be more efficient in time. It will take decades to completely change but I firmly believe it must be done due to better efficiency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies