Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 03:50 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You can apply that to yourself, Mr. so-called Asian-Mexican. Anyone with half a brain can see by your words below that you aren't Asian. Asians aren't hostile like you are, they tend to be polite and respectful and they have no interest in defending Latinos here illegally or otherwise.

"Well, I was born and raised in Santa Clara County, California, a state that was once part of Mexico and the Spanish Empire before that - SO IT'S A PART and PARCEL OF WHO I AM. IT'S HOME".

What does the above have to do with your claims of being Asian? NOTHING! It's exactly what a Mexican would say that it's their home because once Mexico held it. The word parcel and it being part of being who you are is so telling. You were referring to Mexicans not Asians. Do you think we were born yesterday? It would have nothing to do with an Asian! What does Mexico once holding the area that you live in have to with Asians or the statement that because of that it's a part and parcel of who you are and that makes it your home? That would mean you are Mexican or some other Latino, not Asian. You and yours are just trying to twist words and meanings now to cover up your incriminating statement.

Come on guy, just admit the truth and be done with it!
Actually, my heritage is 100% Asian. That's the truth.

Born and raised in Santa Clara County, CA, from Taiwanese parents.

What's wrong with acknowledging the origins of California once being part of Mexico? Are you really that insecure? Heck, we learned all about the Missions in California in grade school.

Only thing Hispanic about me, culturally, is that I love Mexican and Cuban cuisine - and I can scold people in colloquial Spanish. Which you probably need to receive right now.

Last edited by silverkris; 12-20-2019 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 03:59 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabandgo View Post
Thats a bunch of BS, for most of the 1700 and 1800 and into the 1900 German was spoken everywhere in the US. to the point that most of the press printed in Philly and NYC was in German.
it was the WWI that forced Americans of German origin to attenuate and suppress their culture.

you clearly know little about the history of immigration in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German..._United_States
Really, so the Poles, the Brits, Italians, Spanish, etc. spoke German back then?

Old 12-20-2019, 04:04 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
No, I don't hear Spanish and immediately catagorize them as Mexican. I am well aware that there are many other Spanish speaking countries. All of these Spanish speaking countries combined make up the largest ethnic group here illegally, however. I don't immediately catagorize them as being here illegally when they are speaking Spanish either. I don't have any "visual" bias either. Don't put words in my mouth.

We will have to agree to disagree on assimilation of the past and the present. I know, I live in the thick of it.
You are also confusing race with ethnicity. Hispanic is an ethnicity and white is a race. Your statement about fourth generation Hispanics and that only half of them identify as Hispanic and the other 50% of Hispanics identify as White is inaccurate because one can still be Hispanic and white. Full blooded Spaniards would have to identify as both. Once again, it doesn't matter what one identifies with race is race and not the same thing as ethnicity. To say that a fourth generation Hispanic from Mexican roots becomes something different culturally is nonsense no matter who they marry. Even if they don't speak Spanish they would still practice their native Hispanic culture. Nothing wrong with that in their homes but assimilation out in public is desirable for a unified society.

I'm not going to speak for the early Germans who migrated here but as I said, they weren't a monolithic group coming here en masse as Latinos today. There were the Poles, Italians, Brits, etc. When immigration is diversified colonization doesn't usually occur otherwise too many from one ethnic group both legally and illegally does rather than assimilation. There are entire towns here in Calif. and across the country that resemble Mexico or some other Latino country because of this.
No town resembles Mexico. I've been in San Antonio which is the most hispanic major city in the U.S more times than I can count. I've been in Corpus Christi several times. I still need to visit El Paso but outside of the RGV noone really says anywhere looks like Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3yRdlQvzs

This video is by an El Paso artist-Khalid and this was his breakout video so not a massive budget. IT features an American car, An American flag, Lots of Mexican American people (it's entirely shot in El Paso), nothing about it screams Mexico at best it screams SW U.S and Northern Mexico in scenery. This is the music that came out of the El Paso 80%+ Hispanic music scene...

By your argument more than 90% of Black people are mixed race. Because the average black person in America is 20% White. Do you have a cutoff is someone that is 90% White, White?
What about people who are part Cherokee, is Oklahoma a state filled with mixed race white people seeing as a substantial amount of people there have Native Ancestry.

Their actually millions of white people throughout Latin America and in Mexico. The biggest identity in Latin America is white.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Latin_Americans
From Wikipedia-
"Composing from 33% to 36% of the population as of 2010, according to some sources,[1][2][28] White Latin Americans constitute the largest racial-ethnic group in the region. White is the self-identification of many Latin Americans in some national censuses. According to a survey conducted by Cohesión Social in Latin America, conducted on a sample of 10,000 people from seven countries of the region, 34% of those interviewed identified themselves as white"
From Wikipedia-
"Depending on what percent White you use Mexico has between 11-56 million whites."
Keep in mind Americans make up 750,000 out of the legal immigrants to America, alone and their almost all white.

Mitt Romney's family and the Mormons of Northern Mexico are just one of many White Mexican groups. Their are full-blooded white Europeans in Mexico who migrated. Their are also White folk who most of their grandparents except for one where white American and the other was Mexican (white or not). My point is many people have a racial bias against Mexico. You might not have one but living in Houston, I've met so many Mexicans and people of Mexican descent that if you did not ask them you wouldn't know that they where Mexican. So how can you measure how
From Wikipedia-
"Another study made by the University College London in collaboration with Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History found that the frequencies of blond hair and light eyes in Mexicans are of 18% and 28% respectively"

My point is you say most Mexicans are mixed, which is true but one thing Americans continually miss about Latin America is that the largest group is White Latin Americans, this is true in about 2/3s or more of the countries. How do you measure assimilation. You say a 4th generation Mexican American will hold some semblance of Mexican American culture but polls say more than half of all 4th generation Mexican Americans do not identify as Hispanic. Now this isn't because they are brownish skin tone they just don't identify as Hispanic, their are people like this but this is almost entirely because by the fourth generation their is so much outmarriage that you have someone who's skin tone matches White Americans and who's grandparents where raised in America so all they here about them is stories talking about the American experience. Even if their brown the same thing happens, their is no semblance of Hispanic culture outside of maybe food. By the fourth generation their at best cooking Tex-Mex. No one is cooking the food their great-grandmother used to cook. The vast majority of Mexicans in Cali are 2nd and 3rd Generation their aren't that many 4th, 5th, 6th generation people like in Texas so your location likely doesn't allow you to really understand what I mean. Texas had a higher hispanic percent for much longer than California did.

For example Texas demographics in 1910s- Texas was 7% Hispanic. California only had 9,000 Spanish Speakers when it was under Mexico and that included all of Baja California, and New Mexico as well.

But back to the main topic of conversation-

Race relations are infinitesimally better today than they were just two decades ago. The fact that 15% of all marriages are interracial which is a record high proves this alone.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:12 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Really, so the Poles, the Brits, Italians, Spanish, etc. spoke German back then?
Their weren't that many Italians/Poles or Spanish in the continental U.S in the first time Germans came en-masse different waves of migration. During the first wave of Germans the country was like 60% British Isles 20% Other Europeans mostly German/French Hugenots and 20% African (Was probably higher and closer to 30%). In fact due to immigration from Europe the African American population went from 20% in the first census to an all time low of 9% circa 1950 and only recently rebounded.
This is also why immigration argument doesn't make sense. Immigration was used to whiten this country, similar to Latin America. If their had been no immigrants this country might very well be 65% European and 35% Black today except their's 100,000,000 people instead of 300,000,000 million. As someone pointed out with those numbers we would have probably lost WW2
their were a bunch of Irish and Scots-Irish and French Hugenots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...ion_statistics

IF you organize it by number in the far right category you can see- that from 1850-1900 U.S saw the migration of over well over 3 million Germans and the Irish were second with 2 million. It's much higher than these numbers but since this shows cumulative growth don't want to overestimate it.
Poles/Italians/Spanish just didn't come to America until much much later in such numbers.

Last edited by NigerianNightmare; 12-20-2019 at 04:23 PM..

Old 12-20-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, I am 100% Asian. That's the truth.

Born and raised in Santa Clara County, CA, from Taiwanese parents.

What's wrong with acknowledging the origins of California once being part of Mexico? Is your ethnocentrism and xenophobia that insecure?

Only thing Hispanic about me, culturally, is that I love Mexican and Cuban cuisine - and I can scold people in colloquial Spanish. Which you probably need to receive right now.
You're back peddling again. Nothing in this quote of yours would make sense if you were Asian. Stop trying to hide your identity and making false claims about it. Asians don't even talk the way you do. They are respectful and don't defend Latinos in any way shape or form.

How is your area once being a part of Mexico and the Spanish Empire "a part and parcel of who YOU are" and how did that past ownership "make it home for YOU"? It wouldn't be home to you unless it was once owned by Mexico? Huh? That makes no sense as Asians can and did live there regardless of past Mexican ownership! Your words would only make sense if you are a Mexican! Doesn't matter anymore. You can deny all you want as you gave yourself away. Back on my ignore list you go. I just had to expose you.

Quote you - "Well, I was born and raised in Santa Clara County, California, a state that was once part of Mexico and the Spanish Empire before that - so it's part and parcel of who I am. It's home".

Buh, bye!

Old 12-20-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Do not conflate interracial marriage (their children would classify as "mixed") as indicator or non-indicator diversity....

That's messed up.

One of the reasons why we left Texas was we were tired of the judgements made against interracial marriages and their children. I recall a black (him) and white (her) interracial couple about my age. People referred to her as "Oreo". Nothing like that has ever happened here in NJ. There are plenty of interracial couples here; very common.

It was only recently that interracial couples were legally protected... Loving vs Virginia in 1967!!! On one hand it is messed up that it took so long to protect those rights. On the other hand it is a clear indication of progress when it comes to race relations. The Lovings went through a lot of personal hardship at the hands of an a discriminatory government which included jail time and being expelled from their home and state.
I said nothing about inter-racial marriages, my comments were about an individual's race. Their marriage to someone outside of their race has nothing to do with their own genetics. Their kids of course would be mixed race. Again, I'm speaking of "individuals" and their genetic/racial makeup.

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-20-2019 at 04:38 PM..

Old 12-20-2019, 04:21 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
You're back peddling again. Nothing in this quote of yours would make sense if you were Asian. Stop trying to hide your identity and making false claims about it. Asians don't even talk the way you do. They are respectful and don't defend Latinos in any way shape or form.

How is your area once being a part of Mexico and the Spanish Empire "a part and parcel of who YOU are" and how did that past ownership "make it home for YOU"? It wouldn't be home to you unless it was once owned by Mexico? Huh? That makes no sense as Asians can and did live there regardless of past Mexican ownership! Your words would only make sense if you are a Mexican! Doesn't matter anymore. You can deny all you want as you gave yourself away. Back on my ignore list you go. I just had to expose you.

Quote you - "Well, I was born and raised in Santa Clara County, California, a state that was once part of Mexico and the Spanish Empire before that - so it's part and parcel of who I am. It's home".

Buh, bye!
Actually, your words pretty much show your myopia and penchant for stereotyping, mixed in with some pretty terrible reading comprehension. Not surprised at all.

I'm not at all hiding my identity. 100% Asian and born and raised in California. All I'm saying is acknowledging that California used to be part of Mexico, and has a lot of Spanish names because of it. I'd say the same thing if I grew up in Texas. What's controversial about that? Really, does your Hispanophobia know no bounds to give you such meltdowns over that?

Just cause I push back against your mindless prejudices and call you out constantly doesn't mean I'm Latino, Mexican, or whatever - and it doesn't matter. If you keep expressing disdain and anger at people speaking Spanish (or any other languages other than English) in public when it's none of your darned business, you'll keep getting chastised. Not my problem.

Last edited by silverkris; 12-20-2019 at 04:44 PM..

Old 12-20-2019, 04:22 PM

3,749 posts, read 1,444,991 times
Quote:
They did during the fall of the Roman Empire. The Germans overran Spain, Gaul, Britain and Italy. Why do you think the Spanish language has so many German first and last names like Luis, Alfonso, Adolfo, Rodriguez, ruiz, gutzman, burgos, Gonzalez and etc.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
No town resembles Mexico. I've been in San Antonio which is the most hispanic major city in the U.S more times than I can count. I've been in Corpus Christi several times. I still need to visit El Paso but outside of the RGV noone really says anywhere looks like Mexico.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=by3yRdlQvzs

This video is by an El Paso artist-Khalid and this was his breakout video so not a massive budget. IT features an American car, An American flag, Lots of Mexican American people (it's entirely shot in El Paso), nothing about it screams Mexico at best it screams SW U.S and Northern Mexico in scenery. This is the music that came out of the El Paso 80%+ Hispanic music scene...

By your argument more than 90% of Black people are mixed race. Because the average black person in America is 20% White. Do you have a cutoff is someone that is 90% White, White?
What about people who are part Cherokee, is Oklahoma a state filled with mixed race white people seeing as a substantial amount of people there have Native Ancestry.

Their actually millions of white people throughout Latin America and in Mexico. The biggest identity in Latin America is white.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Latin_Americans
From Wikipedia-
"Composing from 33% to 36% of the population as of 2010, according to some sources,[1][2][28] White Latin Americans constitute the largest racial-ethnic group in the region. White is the self-identification of many Latin Americans in some national censuses. According to a survey conducted by Cohesión Social in Latin America, conducted on a sample of 10,000 people from seven countries of the region, 34% of those interviewed identified themselves as white"
From Wikipedia-
"Depending on what percent White you use Mexico has between 11-56 million whites."
Keep in mind Americans make up 750,000 out of the legal immigrants to America, alone and their almost all white.

Mitt Romney's family and the Mormons of Northern Mexico are just one of many White Mexican groups. Their are full-blooded white Europeans in Mexico who migrated. Their are also White folk who most of their grandparents except for one where white American and the other was Mexican (white or not). My point is many people have a racial bias against Mexico. You might not have one but living in Houston, I've met so many Mexicans and people of Mexican descent that if you did not ask them you wouldn't know that they where Mexican. So how can you measure how
From Wikipedia-
"Another study made by the University College London in collaboration with Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History found that the frequencies of blond hair and light eyes in Mexicans are of 18% and 28% respectively"

My point is you say most Mexicans are mixed, which is true but one thing Americans continually miss about Latin America is that the largest group is White Latin Americans, this is true in about 2/3s or more of the countries. How do you measure assimilation. You say a 4th generation Mexican American will hold some semblance of Mexican American culture but polls say more than half of all 4th generation Mexican Americans do not identify as Hispanic. Now this isn't because they are brownish skin tone they just don't identify as Hispanic, their are people like this but this is almost entirely because by the fourth generation their is so much outmarriage that you have someone who's skin tone matches White Americans and who's grandparents where raised in America so all they here about them is stories talking about the American experience. Even if their brown the same thing happens, their is no semblance of Hispanic culture outside of maybe food. By the fourth generation their at best cooking Tex-Mex. No one is cooking the food their great-grandmother used to cook. The vast majority of Mexicans in Cali are 2nd and 3rd Generation their aren't that many 4th, 5th, 6th generation people like in Texas so your location likely doesn't allow you to really understand what I mean. Texas had a higher hispanic percent for much longer than California did.

For example Texas demographics in 1910s- Texas was 7% Hispanic. California only had 9,000 Spanish Speakers when it was under Mexico and that included all of Baja California, and New Mexico as well.

But back to the main topic of conversation-

Race relations are infinitesimally better today than they were just two decades ago. The fact that 15% of all marriages are interracial which is a record high proves this alone.
You just keep repeating yourself and not really staying on topic. Your posts are too long and dragged out with too much history in them. I am speaking of the present.

Come to Calif. and you will see what I mean. Santa Ana does resemble Mexico and that's only one example. Miami resembles Havana, Cuba and you know it. You can't even get a job there unless you know Spanish and that applies to many jobs across the country. It would be easier for me to reply to you if your posts weren't so long. At least you are civil. I will give you that.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmarkblue View Post
They did during the fall of the Roman Empire. The Germans overran Spain, Gaul, Britain and Italy. Why do you think the Spanish language has so many German first and last names like Luis, Alfonso, Adolfo, Rodriguez, ruiz, gutzman, burgos, Gonzalez and etc.
Well, we didn't adopt German as our national de facto language and our Constitution and other documents are in English. English is the most common language of our country and we are identified as such. The past means nothing to me nor what happened back then. I live in the present and that is what I wish to discuss not the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies