Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2019, 12:14 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,246,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The difference between the Latino "immigrants" of today and the others that came from Europe early on is that the former group is very adamant about retaining their culture and language especially out in public. The kid's parents' ingrain this in them at a very early age. The early European immigrants did not do that. They insisted that their kids become American in every way. These Latino kids may learn English in our schools and speak it when they have to and adopt some of the main culture but that's pretty much the gist of it. Sorry, I live in the thick of it so I know. Do my eyes and ears lie to me?
You have no idea what you are talking about. European immigrants from the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries were constantly and roundly criticised by home born Americans for not integrating into American culture.

Here is what Ben Franklin had to say about German immigrants

Quote:
"Those who come hither are generally of the most ignorant Stupid Sort of their own Nation…and as few of the English understand the German Language, and so cannot address them either from the Press or Pulpit, ’tis almost impossible to remove any prejudices they once entertain…Not being used to Liberty, they know not how to make a modest use of it…I remember when they modestly declined intermeddling in our Elections, but now they come in droves, and carry all before them, except in one or two Counties...In short unless the stream of their importation could be turned from this to other colonies, as you very judiciously propose, they will soon so out number us, that all the advantages we have will not in My Opinion be able to preserve our language, and even our Government will become precarious."
Stupid statement then, stupid statement now. Much like most of your statements. Ignorant, xenophobic and ill informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 12:22 PM

63,059 posts, read 29,256,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I would disagree here... yes.. my guess is that you choose to see what you want to see. All those assimilated later generation English speaking Latinos don't get noticed because they don't feed your narrow views and misdirected outrage. The Irish were very much retaining their culture....

Either way... this is what America is irregardless of your view; past and present just different peoples are the focus on the outrage. Just like the Anti-Irish sentiment prior, it is destined to fail. Life goes on.
Why is the world would I "choose" to see or hear anything? That makes no sense at all! You're just in deep denial. No, not assimilating into the main culture is not what America is about. Ever heard of the melting pot? My wife's grand parents were Irish and she tells a different story than yours. I'm not saying that all Latinos are that way but a good portion of them are and that's just a fact.

You've got to remember that the early immigrants were a diversified group. They were the English, the Germans, the Poles, Italians, etc. so they had no opportunity to colonize. They were divided by language also. English was adopted as the common language for them to communicate in. Latino immigrants of today and in the massive numbers they are here are not divided by language and culture.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,761,583 times
C'mon liberals, make history. Be the 1st white Caucasians to pay reparations for your family's sin if you agree to it. Don't make the government pay because then you're making non-whites pay for it and that's a cheap cop out.

We need a IRS tax return checkbox that require whites to pay $5000 each year for their past sins. That's what the AOC and Omar demands whites pay.

Old 12-20-2019, 12:47 PM

264 posts, read 137,275 times
Quote:
The difference between the Latino "immigrants" of today and the others that came from Europe early on is that the former group is very adamant about retaining their culture and language especially out in public. The kid's parents' ingrain this in them at a very early age. The early European immigrants did not do that. They insisted that their kids become American in every way. These Latino kids may learn English in our schools and speak it when they have to and adopt some of the main culture but that's pretty much the gist of it. Sorry, I live in the thick of it so I know. Do my eyes and ears lie to me?

The fact that there are so many here illegally just compounds the problem. It's a recipe for colonization not assimilation.
Thats a bunch of BS, for most of the 1700 and 1800 and into the 1900 German was spoken everywhere in the US. to the point that most of the press printed in Philly and NYC was in German.
it was the WWI that forced Americans of German origin to attenuate and suppress their culture.

you clearly know little about the history of immigration in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German..._United_States

Old 12-20-2019, 12:49 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,099,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
C'mon liberals, make history. Be the 1st white Caucasians to pay reparations for your family's sin if you agree to it. Don't make the government pay because then you're making non-whites pay for it and that's a cheap cop out.

We need a IRS tax return checkbox that require whites to pay $5000 each year for their past sins. That's what the AOC and Omar demands whites pay.
You seem awfully angry. It's Friday. Relax.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:17 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,092,486 times
Quote:
No, statistically most Mexicans are of mixed race (60%) in Mexico and those who have migrated here. Same goes for much of the other Latinos countries below us. They are mostly mixed Amerindian and Spanish. Some are Amerindian and black. The term coined for the first group is Mestizo and the second group they are called Mulattos. It matters not what they identify themselves by racially. Genetics are genetics. You can't pick and choose who you are. It doesn't change just because they marry a white person.

Hispanic isn't a race anyway it's an ethnicity/culture and it's a term used to describe those whose native language is Spanish and that they have Spanish roots which makes most from south of our border Hispanics.
I agree with you White Mexicans- include 100% white European immigrants all the way to 60% White Mexicans in Mexico. 47% of Mexicans in Mexico identify as White. Because in Mexican society by being 65< or more White they are considered white, I should have specified but being a White Mexican is different from being a White American, their's slightly more leeway. Mestizo people are actually on average around 45-65% Amerindian and 30-55% White with the average being closer to 5-35-60 split according to genetic studies between African-White-Amerindian. Amerinidian genetically are actually mostly Amerindian in Southern Mexico, some of them not even speaking Spanish but their native tongue, they also are culturally different from the Mestizo+White majority of Mexico, not entirely as not all of them are that steeped in Pre-Mexican culture.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:32 PM

2,487 posts, read 1,428,206 times
The bias news media will for some reason try to make things worse, THAT I do know. As long as Trump is in charge the media welcomes civil and racial division. They think it makes Trump look bad...

Old 12-20-2019, 01:52 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,092,486 times
Quote:
Why is the world would I "choose" to see or hear anything? That makes no sense at all! You're just in deep denial. No, not assimilating into the main culture is not what America is about. Ever heard of the melting pot? My wife's grand parents were Irish and she tells a different story than yours. I'm not saying that all Latinos are that way but a good portion of them are and that's just a fact.

You've got to remember that the early immigrants were a diversified group. They were the English, the Germans, the Poles, Italians, etc. so they had no opportunity to colonize. They were divided by language also. English was adopted as the common language for them to communicate in. Latino immigrants of today and in the massive numbers they are here are not divided by language and culture.
Someone already pointed this out but this is factually wrong. Mexican people are assimilating just as fast if not faster than Germans of yore. The Germans flooded Pennsylvania and couldn't assimilate because unlike Mexicans who enter urban cities, in rural areas where their are just miles and miles of Germans across the frontier their is no reason to speak English unlike a city where even if your neighborhood is Spanish speaking dominated by Mexicans a mile in any direction will bring you to a place where English is the dominant language. Their were 4th generation Germans still speak German in Pennsylvania, even today the Amish is one of several holdovers who speak the Amish language.

Fourth generation Hispanics only half of them identify as Hispanic. The other 50% of Hispanics identify as White, even less speak the Language of Spanish.

Just to tell you how deep this is, I know Schmidts, Stevens, Fosters, Phillips, Burdetts, Watsons, Roberts who all have recent Mexican Ancestry. I know Mendez's, Cruz's, Rodriguez's, Soto's, who all appear white to 99% of Americans and only if they told your their last name does that come into doubt (I tweaked one of their names as one of the name is very uncommon German name).

The reason you don't notice Mexican assimilation is when a Mexican person looks visibly "Mexican" and speaks Spanish you catalogue them as Mexican. When a blond person from Mexico (Their are Blonds in Mexico, I've actually met one or two so far) or descendant of a Mexican-White relationship (which is what happens with many of the Mexicans you see or their kids end up marrying a white American). is going about their day you don't see them as Mexican you see them as just another White American, hence to you the assimilation isn't happening when it's in fact happening in record numbers. Even the Mexicans who are second or third generation going on, from the way their dress their style are indistinguishable from White Americans and their grandkids will likely be White Americans ethnically, who will be like my friends talking about their Mexican grandmother or their Mexican granddad.. Maybe it's because I live in Texas and we have Tejanos for generations so it's different out here, but your visual bias is making you think that they aren't assimilating.

A similar thing is happening in the U.K except it's Africans/Caribbeans. Theirs a 50% outmarriage rate to mostly white people in the U.K. and literally within 3 generations the Carribean community like the Japanese American community might just completely disappear into the White U.K citizens because of record level of Assimilation. Even though the Germans of Pennsylvania looked pretty similar they were still generations upon generations from actually assimilating into mainstream U.S culture and in fact we still have many of them today....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch

They even published the Declaration of independence in German in Philadelphia for the German speakers there.... and supported the Patriotic Revolution against the English proven yet again even the un-assimilated German Speaking populations could still support America's interests... you don't have to be "assimilated" to show your American spirit either.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
I agree with you White Mexicans- include 100% white European immigrants all the way to 60% White Mexicans in Mexico. 47% of Mexicans in Mexico identify as White. Because in Mexican society by being 65< or more White they are considered white, I should have specified but being a White Mexican is different from being a White American, their's slightly more leeway. Mestizo people are actually on average around 45-65% Amerindian and 30-55% White with the average being closer to 5-35-60 split according to genetic studies between African-White-Amerindian. Amerinidian genetically are actually mostly Amerindian in Southern Mexico, some of them not even speaking Spanish but their native tongue, they also are culturally different from the Mestizo+White majority of Mexico, not entirely as not all of them are that steeped in Pre-Mexican culture.
There aren't many plain ole white Mexicans in Mexico or here. Once again, most are of mixed race. It matters not how they identify themselves. I could call myself black but that wouldn't make it so. Genetics are genetics and can't be denied or changed. It doesn't matter the percentage of mix either. They are still of mixed race. Obama identifies himself as black and so do many others but he isn't plain ole black he is of mixed race.

I am well aware that many full blooded Amerindians speak a native tongue and not Spanish but they are few and far between in Mexico. They only make up a small portion of Mexicans.

Old 12-20-2019, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Someone already pointed this out but this is factually wrong. Mexican people are assimilating just as fast if not faster than Germans of yore. The Germans flooded Pennsylvania and couldn't assimilate because unlike Mexicans who enter urban cities, in rural areas where their are just miles and miles of Germans across the frontier their is no reason to speak English unlike a city where even if your neighborhood is Spanish speaking dominated by Mexicans a mile in any direction will bring you to a place where English is the dominant language. Their were 4th generation Germans still speak German in Pennsylvania, even today the Amish is one of several holdovers who speak the Amish language.

Fourth generation Hispanics only half of them identify as Hispanic. The other 50% of Hispanics identify as White, even less speak the Language of Spanish.

Just to tell you how deep this is, I know Schmidts, Stevens, Fosters, Phillips, Burdetts, Watsons, Roberts who all have recent Mexican Ancestry. I know Mendez's, Cruz's, Rodriguez's, Soto's, who all appear white to 99% of Americans and only if they told your their last name does that come into doubt (I tweaked one of their names as one of the name is very uncommon German name).

The reason you don't notice Mexican assimilation is when a Mexican person looks visibly "Mexican" and speaks Spanish you catalogue them as Mexican. When a blond person from Mexico (Their are Blonds in Mexico, I've actually met one or two so far) or descendant of a Mexican-White relationship (which is what happens with many of the Mexicans you see or their kids end up marrying a white American). is going about their day you don't see them as Mexican you see them as just another White American, hence to you the assimilation isn't happening when it's in fact happening in record numbers. Even the Mexicans who are second or third generation going on, from the way their dress their style are indistinguishable from White Americans and their grandkids will likely be White Americans ethnically, who will be like my friends talking about their Mexican grandmother or their Mexican granddad.. Maybe it's because I live in Texas and we have Tejanos for generations so it's different out here, but your visual bias is making you think that they aren't assimilating.

A similar thing is happening in the U.K except it's Africans/Caribbeans. Theirs a 50% outmarriage rate to mostly white people in the U.K. and literally within 3 generations the Carribean community like the Japanese American community might just completely disappear into the White U.K citizens because of record level of Assimilation. Even though the Germans of Pennsylvania looked pretty similar they were still generations upon generations from actually assimilating into mainstream U.S culture and in fact we still have many of them today....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pennsylvania_Dutch

They even published the Declaration of independence in German in Philadelphia for the German speakers there.... and supported the Patriotic Revolution against the English proven yet again even the un-assimilated German Speaking populations could still support America's interests... you don't have to be "assimilated" to show your American spirit either.
No, I don't hear Spanish and immediately catagorize them as Mexican. I am well aware that there are many other Spanish speaking countries. All of these Spanish speaking countries combined make up the largest ethnic group here illegally, however. I don't immediately catagorize them as being here illegally when they are speaking Spanish either. I don't have any "visual" bias either. Don't put words in my mouth.

We will have to agree to disagree on assimilation of the past and the present. I know, I live in the thick of it.
You are also confusing race with ethnicity. Hispanic is an ethnicity and white is a race. Your statement about fourth generation Hispanics and that only half of them identify as Hispanic and the other 50% of Hispanics identify as White is inaccurate because one can still be Hispanic and white. Full blooded Spaniards would have to identify as both. Once again, it doesn't matter what one identifies with race is race and not the same thing as ethnicity. To say that a fourth generation Hispanic from Mexican roots becomes something different culturally is nonsense no matter who they marry. Even if they don't speak Spanish they would still practice their native Hispanic culture. Nothing wrong with that in their homes but assimilation out in public is desirable for a unified society.

I'm not going to speak for the early Germans who migrated here but as I said, they weren't a monolithic group coming here en masse as Latinos today. There were the Poles, Italians, Brits, etc. When immigration is diversified colonization doesn't usually occur otherwise too many from one ethnic group both legally and illegally does rather than assimilation. There are entire towns here in Calif. and across the country that resemble Mexico or some other Latino country because of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies