Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 12:32 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I live in a VERY diverse neighborhood - probably one of the most diverse on the planet. And I have seen the ugliest of it all - racial riots across the street from my house (Asians v. blacks, no lie), girls getting harassed because of their skin tone, kids beaten an inch of their life because of differences, all manner of racial strife.
I've lived in a variety of neighborhoods.... started in poor minority, affluent white, inner city, now suburbia.. throughout childhood and adulthood.

I see no such correlation. The only correlation that I see is poor with crime.

One example, Sugar Land (part of my teen years).

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...tx-population/

White: 50.07%
Asian: 39.07%
Black or African American: 6.60%
Two or more races: 2.44%
Other race: 1.63%
Native American: 0.18%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.00%

is still an area that is a very safe area with very good schools. I went to one of the highest (at that time)ranking H.S. of that time.

Greenwood district of Tulsa (i didn't live there) is known for a very affluent Black community. Also safe.

There's another current thread that points out areas of poor majority white neighborhoods with crime rates that are also very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 12:51 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I've lived in a variety of neighborhoods.... started in poor minority, affluent white, inner city, now suburbia.. throughout childhood and adulthood.

I see no such correlation. The only correlation that I see is poor with crime.

One example, Sugar Land (part of my teen years).

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...tx-population/

White: 50.07%
Asian: 39.07%
Black or African American: 6.60%
Two or more races: 2.44%
Other race: 1.63%
Native American: 0.18%
Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander: 0.00%

is still an area that is a very safe area with very good schools. I went to one of the highest (at that time)ranking H.S. of that time.

Greenwood district of Tulsa (i didn't live there) is known for a very affluent Black community. Also safe.

There's another current thread that points out areas of poor majority white neighborhoods with crime rates that are also very high.
Where are the Hispanic/Latino stats in this article? Most are not just plain white but of mixed race. Seems like they are being counted as plain ole white though. Why aren't they included in the "two or more" races statistics? I know that catagory would be far more than 2.44% if they were included there of which they should be.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
The Hmongs keep to themselves more than anyone in the Twin Cities. More or less. They are very isolated. Very little (almost none) intermarriage.
Usually that's not unusual for communities that are 1st to 2nd generation. Hmongs have only been here since 1970s.

Contrast that with Japanese Americans who are mostly 3,4,5 generation (I'm middle aged and most of them are 3 to 4th generation) and mostly outmarry.

Old 12-19-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Colonization - that is what they've been doing, with the blessing of the anti Americans who call themselves politicians in this failed state.
Excuse me? How do you think California and the Southwest was acquired by the USA?

Old 12-19-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Disgruntled right wing nationalists in that country.

Hey, I think you'd feel right at home there. Have you called SAS yet and made reservations?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:01 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Where are the Hispanic/Latino stats in this article? Most are not just plain white but of mixed race. Seems like they are being counted as plain ole white though. Why aren't they included in the "two or more" races statistics? I know that catagory would be far more than 2.44% if they were included there of which they should be.
You are missing the point. I picked that area because I am familiar with it.. If there were more Hispanic or if they were counted as white, it wouldn't back the assertion in the post I was responding to.

But you've shown great interest in Hispanic/Latino spanish speaking part of the population... seemingly exclusionary view. So.. I will entertain your question.

Hispanic/Latino is not a race... it was made up by the US census. The website is global and thus doesn't recognize the fictitious hispanic/latino race category made up by the US census. Here is the US Census stats for my former home town of Sugar Land, TX. It includes the fictitious US census created race category of Hispanic.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/sugarlandcitytexas

You can see it is still a relatively diverse area. Even among whites category, there is a huge diversity in cultures.... and yet... Sugar Land is still a safe area with good schools. It is even more diverse than when I was living there. It is an affluent area which stats show a correlation should have lower crime rate... which it indeed does.

I can dig up other areas that I've lived in... the point is that race isn't so much a factor in crime as is poverty.

I know you hate diversity... but the reality is that this country was already going that path many decades prior... with legal immigration (as you claimed that illegal immigration from the south is a recent one). A lot of this country is built on it. A lot of the medical field in Houston, TX are Filipina nurses and Indian doctors. Houston medical center is world renown reputation for excellence. Nothing is going to change it. I just think we need to better vet out the immigrants we allow into the country.. favor those that have potential to contribute to this great country... and that means... shutting down illegal immigration which skirts the whole immigration process.

Last edited by usayit; 12-19-2019 at 04:16 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 04:19 PM

8,341 posts, read 2,967,739 times
The more racial diversity we have, the more conflict and friction we have. That and more segregation. Homogeneous societies don’t have problems of race relations, lawsuits associated with race, quotas or programs like Affirmation Action and their tax payers don’t spend $8b annually on diversity training like the U.S. does, or millions of illegals from opposing cultures.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:53 PM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I believe we should move to separate permanently. First move should be mine out of the country (and I've thought this way long before Trump, Obama, Bush, and earlier), but unfortunately, none other would accept me. So for myself and others like me, we are stuck with going through the motions, pretending our way through life.

I just don't think it was every really possible to create a livable multiracial, multicultural nation. In order to live together comfortably and without constant conflict, people must share things at least somewhat alike, especially physical features, religious beliefs, morals, character traits,. Interests and motivations. I can tell you truthfully that most black people do not share any of the above much with whites, therefore the conflict will continue until separated permanently.
As someone born in a country with real diversity your post is frankly embarrassing.

1. Physical features- Look at Belgium, Catalonia, All of European history, All of African history, All of Chinese history and look at Quebec clearly out of all the most violent wars every single one of them where Asians or Europeans killing other Asians or Europeans... clearly Physical features are low on the scale of important things (i.e redheads don't go marrying other redheads because they have red hair, same with blond hair hence blond hair is dying among the white population, not because of mass-racial intermixing but because Italians/Irish and other groups that moved to America en-masse never had a very high rate of blond hair.

2. Your both Christians and while their are different bibles, I didn't know their was a Black Bible and a White Bible. Churches are generally segregated but that's mostly a holdover from slavery, and things integrate to some level in new areas where their aren't historical churches. My church in Katy is 40% Hispanic/30% White 20% Black , 10% Other/Mixed, It was founded in 1999 in an area growing gangbusters at the time.

Compared to basically any large country (50-100 million+) even South Korea (which is a country often sited as harmonious by the Right) the U.S is essentially religiously homogenous.

3. Morals- what's a black moral that isn't present in the white community. The only thing I could think of is "no snitching" but being at college, I realize that's a universal rule just for different crimes (abusing drugs vs. hitting a lick).

4. Character traits- okay you got me on this one, but I think white and black people are way to heterogeneous as a group. Black people tend to like Rap music, and the personality traits that a Plaiboi Carti fan has...but their are more white people in absolute numbers in the U.S who are fans of Rap and Plaiboi Carti and have those same traits, than the entirety of the black youth population so it's a moot point.

5. Interests and Motivations- if you get into specifics white people can be really interested in some really wierd ish... black people too but because their a smaller group and more concentrated in certain areas it's not as diverse. But in general both Blacks in America and Whites in America want the exact same thing to succeed in a capitalist society, and are both motivated by money. i.e black people at Christmas don't have specific gifts they give their kids that white people don't give their kids.

This entire essay of a response is unnecessary. But i'll tell you one thing Travel, if you think Black people and white people are radically different go to a country where 100 miles away they may look the same but they don't have shared religion, don't have a shared language, sometimes they don't even have a shared history because that group throughout history was mostly interacting with other groups of people.

For example your premise is wrong their already countries where blacks and white people got well together and have gotten along fine for centuries look at Overseas Netherlands and France countries filled with mixed race folk who got along fine enough to create a new ethnic group. Look at Barbados or Dominican Republic.. or even the Cape Coloureds of South Africa. Or the Creoles/Cajuns of Louisiana.

Old 12-19-2019, 05:55 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
You are missing the point. I picked that area because I am familiar with it.. If there were more Hispanic or if they were counted as white, it wouldn't back the assertion in the post I was responding to.

But you've shown great interest in Hispanic/Latino spanish speaking part of the population... seemingly exclusionary view. So.. I will entertain your question.

Hispanic/Latino is not a race... it was made up by the US census. The website is global and thus doesn't recognize the fictitious hispanic/latino race category made up by the US census. Here is the US Census stats for my former home town of Sugar Land, TX. It includes the fictitious US census created race category of Hispanic.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/sugarlandcitytexas

You can see it is still a relatively diverse area. Even among whites category, there is a huge diversity in cultures.... and yet... Sugar Land is still a safe area with good schools. It is even more diverse than when I was living there. It is an affluent area which stats show a correlation should have lower crime rate... which it indeed does.

I can dig up other areas that I've lived in... the point is that race isn't so much a factor in crime as is poverty.

I know you hate diversity... but the reality is that this country was already going that path many decades prior... with legal immigration (as you claimed that illegal immigration from the south is a recent one). A lot of this country is built on it. A lot of the medical field in Houston, TX are Filipina nurses and Indian doctors. Houston medical center is world renown reputation for excellence. Nothing is going to change it. I just think we need to better vet out the immigrants we allow into the country.. favor those that have potential to contribute to this great country... and that means... shutting down illegal immigration which skirts the whole immigration process.
I am well aware that Hispanic/Latino isn't a race but the question in the article was about race. Why was there only a little over 2% calling themselves mixed race in your first link when the ethnic group of Hispanic/Latino are mostly of mixed race and millions of them in Texas? Did you not understand my question in my last post? Did they somehow fall into the white race catagory? Well then those particular stats were inaccurate.

I don't hate diversity where are you getting that? However, our "immigration" numbers today are not diversified they are mostly Latinos. This country was not built by illegal aliens. That's pure nonsense! This country was mostly built by our own citizens and legal immigrants.

Whites have melted into our identifying culture. Most speak English as their primary language for example even though their ancestors were from Germany, Poland, etc. Not so much with Latinos.

Old 12-19-2019, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I believe we should move to separate permanently. First move should be mine out of the country (and I've thought this way long before Trump, Obama, Bush, and earlier), but unfortunately, none other would accept me. So for myself and others like me, we are stuck with going through the motions, pretending our way through life.

I just don't think it was every really possible to create a livable multiracial, multicultural nation. In order to live together comfortably and without constant conflict, people must share things at least somewhat alike, especially physical features, religious beliefs, morals, character traits,. Interests and motivations. I can tell you truthfully that most black people do not share any of the above much with whites, therefore the conflict will continue until separated permanently.
Nah. Frankly, your exhortations of separatism are unworkable, impractical, and plays into the hands of people who want to do you harm.

Last edited by silverkris; 12-19-2019 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies