Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 10:30 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
That is a religious issue compounded by the fact that the Irish were treated HORRIBLY by the English for centuries. Northern Ireland, as you probably know, is mostly Catholic while the rest of Ireland, and yet they were governed by people from England (and also from Scotland) who were Protestant, and they treated the Catholics horribly.

People having different religions does not cause as much of a problem here in the U.S., although there are some notable exceptions. (People who hate Jews and Muslims come to mind, but I think and hope that people who hate others just because of their religion are just a small minority.)
Treat people with respect and respect their traditions. Which is precisely my point.

Wanna know why Quebec has such strict language laws regarding the use of French? Stems from the Francophones getting badly treated by the Anglo-dominated political and economic ruling classes for centuries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 10:35 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
RE: The above quote of mine which SilverKris posted -- CORRECTION :

I am VERY embarrassed, but in double-checking my "facts", I discovered that what I wrote was wrong about Catholicism in Ireland!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...rthern_Ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...lic_of_Ireland

SORRY FOR WRITING SUCH INCORRECT 'INFORMATION'!!

Last edited by katharsis; 12-18-2019 at 10:44 AM..

Old 12-18-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
RE: The above quote of mine which SilverKris posted -- CORRECTION :

I am VERY embarrassed, but in checking myself, I discovered that what I wrote was [i]wrong[/I} about Catholicism in Ireland!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...rthern_Ireland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...lic_of_Ireland
Not a problem, you don't need to apologize for that. Your point about the Irish being ill treated by the English still stands and I get it.

Old 12-18-2019, 10:48 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Treat people with respect and respect their traditions. Which is precisely my point.

Wanna know why Quebec has such strict language laws regarding the use of French? Stems from the Francophones getting badly treated by the Anglo-dominated political and economic ruling classes for centuries.
You are sorely mistaken if you think you're going to sing kumbaya with the brothers and the eses when TSHTF. Just remember, if you want diversity, be careful what you wish for...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dvwn4aXE8s

Old 12-18-2019, 11:01 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I know what Trump said! Mexico doesn't "send" legal immigrants they come on their own with papers in hand and they aren't the problem and Trump has never said otherwise. Why do you and yours keep touting out that lie year after year now? In context with his remarks at the time he was only speaking in regards to Mexicans coming here illegally and it is illegal aliens that Mexico has been encouraging/sending to our country. And yes many illegal aliens do bring drugs, crime, etc. Where's the racism? Truth is racism these days?
Trump's remarks caused the left to clutch their pearls and collapse on their fainting couches.

A few days later, Kate Steinle was murdered by an illegal invader who had been deported several times and had a number of felony convictions.

Pretty much locked in my vote for him.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:17 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
You are sorely mistaken if you think you're going to sing kumbaya with the brothers and the eses when TSHTF. Just remember, if you want diversity, be careful what you wish for...
We already have diversity. You are spitting into the wind thinking its gonna be any other way. The tragedy for your ilk is that the places (outside of the US) that are the most "white" are places where people generally don't think very highly of "white" Americans. Ask a Norwegian, Swede, Dane, Finn or Icelander what they think of "White" Americans and I can guarantee its not going to be very flattering.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:34 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
We already have diversity. You are spitting into the wind thinking its gonna be any other way. The tragedy for your ilk is that the places (outside of the US) that are the most "white" are places where people generally don't think very highly of "white" Americans. Ask a Norwegian, Swede, Dane, Finn or Icelander what they think of "White" Americans and I can guarantee its not going to be very flattering.
I AM Swedish. You probably don't have a clue.

What do those places think of black Chicago? That they're all a bunch of angels?

Old 12-18-2019, 11:54 AM

2,066 posts, read 900,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Some have thought that race relations were going to get worse under Trump but things have cooled down since Obama left office. There's this idea that Trump has brought out the racists in America but what has happened is that people have put their foot down to a degree and aren't putting up with the dumb crap anymore.

It would take a collapse of the United States for there to every be race separation.
The thing about Trump is, there are decades of pictures of him side-by-side with notables like Ali and Rosa Parks and Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton, getting numerous awards for opening his golf courses up to minorities, hiring minorities, supporting (D) candidates, etc … he wasn't called RAYCISS until he dared to run as a (R) and beat the fainting felon. Funny how a ride down an escalator caused him to be so accused, but without the race card, dog-eared, faded and worn, the left has nothing.

Race relations went into the crapper when zero came on the scene, but what did you expect from a community agitator ? Division and pitting black against white, old against young, gay against straight, rich against poor, Christian against atheist, left against right … essentially any way you can slice the population in two, he fomented ill will between the halves.

Race relations are on the mend, with a President that offers all Americans a better livelihood regardless of race or ethnicity.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Dvwn4aXE8s
Trying to project your tribal antagonism onto others?

Well, this was more than 25 years ago. The folks in the community - and that includes Korean Americans, African Americans, Latinos, and others - learned from that experience since then. Unlike you, they're capable of change and understandng, and collaboration.

https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...429-story.html

Actually, Koreatown is majority Hispanic/Latino. There's also a community of Thais and Bangledeshis too.

Maybe one solution is intermarriage. Forgot to tell you, one of my cousins (grew up in NY) married a Twin Cities native (a white guy of German or Scandinavian ancestry) and have lived in the Twin Cities for over 20 years. Both my brother and sister have married non-Asians and so have a majority of my cousins.

So you can either cling onto your bitterness at the demographic changes, wishing that the 1965 immigration act never happened, or you just deal.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:42 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
I AM Swedish. You probably don't have a clue.
You are not Swedish. If you are as you claim then...

Where in Sweden did you grow up?
Do you speak the Swedish language?
Do you adhere to the cultural and societal norms of Swedish society?
Ever heard of the phrase "Lagom"? Probably not.

You may have a passing resemblance to Swedish people but nobody in Sweden would take you as their own and they probably wouldn't like you if they met you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies