Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe race relations are getting worse and we are moving toward racial separatism?
Yes 99 43.42%
No 129 56.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 06:04 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You might want to look up the word "racist" in the dictionary. It has nothing to do with wanting people to assimilate linguistically into our society. You and yours have over used that word so much that it has no meaning anymore.

Even using the word "always" doesn't make one a racist. Where i live it is "always". How are facts racist? I was addressing someone who said speaking Spanish in private should not be objectionable but if it were private I wouldn't be able to hear it, now would i and I certainly don't go out of my way to hear it! So that makes no sense to me.
First, I just added another sentence to my post, which admits that you might not technically be a racist.

Second, what do you mean by "you and yours"? I am NOT a liberal now (and I haven't been one since about 2009), and I do not often use the word "racist" except toward those who think that the ONLY racists are white racists. My contention is, and has always been, that I think that there are racists in almost every race of people.

But there you go making generalizations and assumptions again!

P.S. I find it VERY difficult to believe that every Spanish speaker you encounter ALWAYS speaks loudly. My suspicion is that you are just very sensitive to people around you who don't speak English.

I also think that if it bothers you so much, and it is possible for you to move to a more "Anglo" area, maybe you should consider it just to lower your stress level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 06:07 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Its hilarious seeing racist white Americans attempt some sort of racial connection with the Nordic folk of Scandinavia. The culture of Scandinavia stands in almost complete contrast to White American culture. They are temperate in nature, very egalitarian, very socially focused, they endorse moderation, tolerance, artist expression.
Sounds like upper Midwest. More Nordics. here than anywhere on planet outside Scandinavia.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Its hilarious seeing racist white Americans attempt some sort of racial connection with the Nordic folk of Scandinavia. The culture of Scandinavia stands in almost complete contrast to White American culture. They are temperate in nature, very egalitarian, very socially focused, they endorse moderation, tolerance, artist expression.
Quote:
They are healthier, happier, more financially stable, more politically stable, more socially content then White Americans. I don't worry about the Swedish people, they are doing great. You lot...not so much
Wrong aga8n, Kennyboy...

Sweden rape: Most convicted attackers foreign-born, says TV

Old 12-18-2019, 06:13 PM

More for you, Ken:

Sweden: far right gains threaten Europe's most stable political order

Old 12-18-2019, 06:32 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

This might be in reaction to the number of recent Muslim immigrants who do not share the same culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Sweden

This was examined in depth in the book The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...eath-of-europe

Old 12-18-2019, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This might be in reaction to the number of recent Muslim immigrants who do not share the same culture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Sweden

This was examined in depth in the book The Strange Death of Europe by Douglas Murray.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...eath-of-europe
Yeah. That particular poster (Kenneth) has made some radical assumptions about my ancestors' homeland. They are fed up, much like Americans.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:41 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
The kind of cultural roots that have taken place in the Upper Midwest and parts of the Pacific Northwest. I think about this. Having lived in the Atlanta area, I've met people who moved there from Minnesota. I can honestly say that the vast majority of Minnesotans I've met, I've had a good rapport with them.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:01 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,575,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
There is no way to really tell without polling and even with polling what metric would one use?

I think a lot of whites were upset at seeing a black president and hence projected that race relations were getting worse....because they were unhappy. Keep in mind that race relations = how whites are feeling about the issue of race. Hence, whites are happier now that a white man is president again, hence, since race relations mean white sentiment, they are bound to see relations as better because they are feeling better with whites back in control.

That having been said, I think race relations get better the fewer people there are born between 1920 and 1990 living in the population.
I agree with this for the most part.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:11 PM

62,972 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
First, I just added another sentence to my post, which admits that you might not technically be a racist.

Second, what do you mean by "you and yours"? I am NOT a liberal now (and I haven't been one since about 2009), and I do not often use the word "racist" except toward those who think that the ONLY racists are white racists. My contention is, and has always been, that I think that there are racists in almost every race of people.

But there you go making generalizations and assumptions again!

P.S. I find it VERY difficult to believe that every Spanish speaker you encounter ALWAYS speaks loudly. My suspicion is that you are just very sensitive to people around you who don't speak English.

I also think that if it bothers you so much, and it is possible for you to move to a more "Anglo" area, maybe you should consider it just to lower your stress level.
You and yours are those that call me a racist or bigot for merely wanting immigrants and even citizens to assimilate linguistically in our country. That desire has nothing to do with the word racist. Why would you assume that I meant you are a liberal? Ethnocentrics do the same thing and other PC bleeding hearts.

Why would they speak Spanish in public when they know English anyway? And yes, I have heard them switch to English with ease when they had to. Um obviously, I wouldn't be able to hear those speaking quietly so I'm speaking of those that I do hear and yes they are loud! Call it sensitivity if you wish. I call it unassimilating rudeness.

I never said I disliked Hispanics per se nor am I bigoted against them. This is about language usage nothing else. Well, there is another thing why do so many think their ethnic group should be above our immigration laws and rewarded for breaking them? Not exactly something that would endear you to them. I have nothing against Hispanics who are here legally and have assimilated into our society including respect for our immigration laws. Is that somehow bigoted? I don't think so!

I live in So. Calif. and am up in age. I don't have the choice of moving somewhere else. Why should a native English speaker who was born here have to move somewhere else just because these people refuse to speak English? I have lived in this state since the 50's.

Last edited by Oldglory; 12-18-2019 at 07:22 PM..

Old 12-18-2019, 07:23 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You and yours are those that call me a racist for merely wanting immigrants and even citizens to assimilate linguistically in our country. That desire has nothing to do with the word racist. Why would you assume that I meant you are a liberal? Ethnocentrics do the same thing and other PC bleeding hearts.

Why would they speak Spanish in public when they know English anyway? And yes, I have heard them switch to English with ease when they had to. Um obviously, I wouldn't be able to hear those speaking quietly so I'm speaking of those that I do hear and yes they are loud! Call it sensitivity if you wish. I call it unassimilating rudeness.
Its both ironic and profoundly idiotic that you feel the burning desire for immigrants to "assimilate linguistically" in a place whose name / names are not English in origin. The word America is not of English origin, its an Italian loan word "Amerigo". Most of the states names are of Spanish, French or Native American origin.

America is not a defacto English speaking country. The only defacto English speaking country is England where the language is actually from. This country owes no allegiance to any specific language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies