Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 06:47 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Armed guards worked well in this particular instance, just making the point that isn't a solution to our problem. I don't see many places of worship having armed guards but every place is different. So now churches in Texas that don't want guns need to post no guns allowed signs, weird. So how far do we go with this, armed guards in movie theatres, at high school sporting events, shopping malls, more guns everywhere.

The solution is to keep guns away from mentally ill people.
That's a lofty goal and one worthy of continuing to pursue. But, given that they are already prohibited from owning guns by law but still do, its easy to see the pitfalls of that "solution." Even if we were able to capture all mentally ill people in central databases (we can't because not everyone will have been officially adjudicated as being mentally ill and mental illness can occur at any moment in previously perfectly healthy people), you'd still have the problem of gun theft and illegal procurement by mentally ill people.

Thus, the solution is clear to me. That is more guns in the hands of good people and realizing that "gun free zone" signs aren't worth the plastic they are printed on as those intent on committing acts of violence have and will continue to disregard them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 06:48 AM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
That's a lofty goal and one worthy of continuing to pursue. But, given that they are already prohibited from owning guns by law but still do, its easy to see the pitfalls of that "solution." Even if we were able to capture all mentally ill people in central databases (we can't because not everyone will have been officially adjudicated as being mentally ill and mental illness can occur at any moment in previously perfectly healthy people), you'd still have the problem of gun theft and illegal procurement by mentally ill people.

Thus, the solution is clear to me. That is more guns in the hands of good people and realizing that "gun free zone" signs aren't worth the plastic they are printed on as those intent on committing acts of violence have and will continue to disregard them.
And most mental hospitals were closed by the courts.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:51 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I may have missed it but did it say where the shooter got the weapon from?
He was arrested for aggravated assault with a weapon and several other times in Texas so he should not have been able to own a gun but they have not indicated at this point where it was acquired.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Who said that you weren’t free to believe in superstition?
It's not a question of being free to believe. Its a question of respect for people and their beliefs that aren't hurting you, even if you disagree with their beliefs. I don't need to put down another's beliefs to make me feel better.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:53 AM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

I disagree with more guns solution, we need to have stronger restrictions to insure that mentally ill people like this don't get guns. Other countries have mentally ill people but they don't have such easy access to guns. The databases reporting on mentally ill by the states and the military are under reported to say the least, one area for improvement.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
And most mental hospitals were closed by the courts.
Very true. Hell, I'd be in favor of returning to an era where it was easier to forcibly commit someone. At least then, they'd be on record of their mental illness and it would be more difficult for them to buy a weapon legitimately. Of course, this is only part of the solution for the reasons I discussed earlier.

Old 12-31-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I disagree with more guns solution, we need to have stronger restrictions to insure that mentally ill people like this don't get guns. Other countries have mentally ill people but they don't have such easy access to guns.
So how are you going to stop a mentally ill but otherwise functioning person (as in they can still communicate with others and go about their daily lives) from illegally obtaining a gun on the black market? Or from stealing a gun? What is your solution going to be when that happens? When seconds matter, a call to the police doesn't cut it.

And I'd be careful about pointing to other countries as we have very different cultures, which does play a role. Switzerland has a higher gun ownership rate (not more guns owned per person as American gun owners tend to own more than one gun) than the US, but still lower gun crime. Its relatively easy to get a gun there.

Last edited by prospectheightsresident; 12-31-2019 at 07:05 AM..

Old 12-31-2019, 07:03 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I guess you probably have an interpretation of the Bible that allows for infidelity and fornication.
It appears you’ve never read the Bible and have no idea what you’re talking about.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:35 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:

The solution is to keep guns away from mentally ill people.
It is illegal for them to have them, yet they do.

You solution is hardly a solution. Its not realistic any more they saying because I despise cancer, were we to pass a law making it illegal, no one would ever have it again.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:54 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Mentally ill will still get firearms. They steal them. The mosque by my house has armed staff. It's wrong to think there is a fool proof method of stopping someone with ill intent from trying. We can at least deter with armed staff.
I have a brother who is seriously mentally ill- seriously. He has been involuntarily committed several times. It is illegal for him to own guns. And yet he still has guns. He has bought them from people he knows.

Which is why I have an alarm system and a license to carry. And a legally purchased handgun.

Every house of worship in this area (NE Texas) that I'm aware of has armed security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies