Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2019, 05:00 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I understand why you need a concealed weapon to go to church safely in the U.S. I still prefer the way things are here in Japan though. I went to church yesterday and the furthest thing from my mind was the need to arm myself to protect myself from bad guys with guns.
I've spent a lot of time in Japan. Mostly the Osaka area, but I've traveled the whole country. I still go there at least once a year for about three weeks or so. There are so many differences between Japan and the U.S. that it would take forever to list them all. But one of the biggest differences, in my opinion, is that Japanese culture emphasizes respect for others from day one. It's built into their educational system, their traditions, their familial relationships, workplaces, and just about everywhere else. It's remarkable and to be admired in my opinion.

Here in the U.S. things are different. We are fostering a culture of narcissistic, disrespectful, self-entitled, uninformed, "social justice warriors," who seriously spend their time worrying about whether or not to allow men into the women's bathroom rather than focusing on the real problems facing our society. It's hopelessly stupid to believe the U.S. is going in the right direction.

Gun violence in U.S. has nothing to do with people having access to guns. Guns are available for purchase in almost every country I have ever been in, however, in most of the rest of the World there is real investment in mental healthcare, social safety nets and teaching the core values that make those countries so much safer and frankly more pleasant to live in. Here we have a predatory culture that promotes self interest over everything else. We've abandoned our heritage, our values and our traditions, so no one should be surprised that violence has become ubiquitous here.

Americans shouldn't blame guns for violence. They should blame themselves when they hand their kids an iPad because they'd rather watch American Idol than take them to the park. They should blame themselves when they eat dinner in front of their TV instead of at the table with their family. They should blame themselves when they don't take the time to teach their children and each other about respect, honor and personal sacrifice.

The problem isn't with the guns. The problem is with the people and our priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 05:01 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Respectfully disagree.

Texas remains the state with most mass shooting deaths. What happens now?
https://www.elpasotimes.com/in-depth...gs/4008425002/

Texas Is a Leader in Mass Shootings. Why Is the Governor Silent?
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/01/o...-shooting.html

Texas leads nation in unintentional shootings by children
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...y-14175860.php

After its latest mass shootings, Texas leads the way – in loosening gun laws
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...gs-greg-abbott

The Looser a State's Gun Laws, the More Mass Shootings It Has
https://www.wired.com/story/the-loos...otings-it-has/
Your efforts to make it seem like more guns leads to more gun violence would hold water if that was actually the case. But, as has been shown time and time again, gun violence has actually DRASTICALLY decreased (including in Texas and elsewhere throughout the country) over the past several decades as more states (including Texas) have made it easier for law abiding citizens to own firearms.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:02 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The answer is always more guns.
I mean, it's not "always" more guns, but it's often the correct answer. The answer is NEVER authoritarianism despite that being the answer always pushed first by some.

Some are constantly looking for excuses to steal from the people and I oppose that no matter who they are.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:04 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Bill of Rights, is not a suggestion.
Perhaps guns could be hung on the church walls in place of the crucifix.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:14 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Shouldn't you be someplace protesting for gender neutral bathrooms and letting men into women's sporting competitions? Do you really have time to redesign church decor also?

Listen, don't let this gun thing bother you so much. Guns are a lot like parachutes... If you ever actually need one and don't have it available, you probably won't need one again.

So cheer up. Go gun free!

Old 12-29-2019, 05:17 PM

355 posts, read 213,537 times
Quote:
No one knocked what you believe. Those without faith must carry loaded weapons.
Are you suggesting the 4 or 5 members of the congregation that also drew their concealed weapons are not people of faith?

Old 12-29-2019, 05:18 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,722,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
I fully support pushing this narrative, there have been far too many people moving from places like California to Texas recently, attempting to import the kind of awful policies that led to them abandoning their home state in the first place. If this kind of thing could scare them off, it would be a net positive for the state.
Then why can't the Texans stay in Texas? The second largest contributor to Seattle growth is Texas (after California). Our state keeps getting bluer so maybe the liberal Texans just can's stand Texas anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The answer is always more guns.
So true and considering Texas' high rate of shootings, over time the problem could be self-solving.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:28 PM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Quote:
They could put guns in there where they put the hymn books. But heck, since guns aren't any different than any other "inanimate object".............. you could probably knock off the shooter by chucking a few hymnbooks at him.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:29 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Then why can't the Texans stay in Texas? The second largest contributor to Seattle growth is Texas (after California). Our state keeps getting bluer so maybe the liberal Texans just can's stand Texas anymore.
It's possible that the bluest of Texans head there when they are tired of living in Austin, I can't imagine why anyone would want to live in the Pacific Northwest though so they certainly have my sympathy.

Old 12-29-2019, 05:31 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....how can you go to church with a gun when one of the Ten Commandments is that thou shalt not kill?

Obviously not true believers.
It's actually thou shall not murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies