Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2019, 11:50 PM

34,065 posts, read 17,096,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The left's only suggestion has been to disarm all the law-abiding so they can't shoot back.
That is true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Where was law enforcement?
All over town as they should be.

You are the first responder, as am I, for at least 6-10 minutes. That is a great response time when one considers the ratio of cops-citizens is fairly low. Usually a few hundred citizens per cop, and likely 1,000 per cop on duty.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:56 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
All over town as they should be.

You are the first responder, as am I, for at least 6-10 minutes. That is a great response time when one considers the ratio of cops-citizens is fairly low. Usually a few hundred citizens per cop, and likely 1,000 per cop on duty.
The old saying:

When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:04 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,625,231 times
Mr. Kinnunen, 43, had been arrested a number of times in the Fort Worth area for charges that included aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Then in 2016, he was arrested in Linden, N.J., after police found him with a 12-gauge shotgun and rounds in the area of a Phillips 66 refinery, according to a news report in mycentraljersey.com at the time.
Mr. Kinnunen told the Linden police that he was traveling from Texas but was homeless, and was taking photos of interesting sites, the report said. At the time, he was wanted on a court warrant in Oklahoma for felony aggravated assault.
Mr. Kinnunen faced charges of speeding, theft, assault and disorderly conduct in Pima County, Ariz., between 2003 and 2014, petit larceny in Las Vegas in 2011, theft in San Luis Obispo County, Calif., in 2010, and aggravated assault and battery in 2011 and arson in 2012 in Grady County, Okla.

Maybe I did not word my previous question correctly - why was this person not in jail?

Old 12-31-2019, 12:09 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Mr. Kinnunen, 43, had been arrested a number of times in the Fort Worth area for charges that included aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. Then in 2016, he was arrested in Linden, N.J., after police found him with a 12-gauge shotgun and rounds in the area of a Phillips 66 refinery, according to a news report in mycentraljersey.com at the time.
Mr. Kinnunen told the Linden police that he was traveling from Texas but was homeless, and was taking photos of interesting sites, the report said. At the time, he was wanted on a court warrant in Oklahoma for felony aggravated assault.
Mr. Kinnunen faced charges of speeding, theft, assault and disorderly conduct in Pima County, Ariz., between 2003 and 2014, petit larceny in Las Vegas in 2011, theft in San Luis Obispo County, Calif., in 2010, and aggravated assault and battery in 2011 and arson in 2012 in Grady County, Okla.

Maybe I did not word my previous question correctly - why was this person not in jail?
And the left believes this man would obey gun laws.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
What's your suggestion, they hug the gunman?

Or maybe sing old Peter, Paul, & Mary songs with the gunman and ask him to discuss his childhood problems, so you could commiserate with him.

Until 10 seconds later when he blows your brains out, of course.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:27 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I'd gladly go back and thank God that we have a security team willing to put their lives on the line to defend and protect us worshipers.
Once, or week after week?
Stuff like this weighs on people's minds forever.

I ask because I have a relative who once killed an intruder who had broken in, intending to rob the house while everyone was away.
it was a clear case of self-defense, and he wasn't ever charged with an offense, but he and his family all had to walk the staircase where he shot the guy daily, and it troubled them all so much he sold the house and moved.
It had been their family home for about 70 years and was well-loved until then.

Yet there are black churches that were bombed or set on fire where several people were killed, and the church still stands, still filled with active worship weekly.

It makes me wonder about the reactions that linger after such events. Obviously, neither of us is right or wrong.

Same outcome with different circumstances in each of my instances. I can only speak for myself in something like this. Violent death does change a person's thoughts forever afterwards.

Old 12-31-2019, 02:54 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Yeah....how can you go to church with a gun when one of the Ten Commandments is that thou shalt not kill?

Obviously not true believers.
Seriously what is wrong with you people? No mention of the actual killer being wrong in this scenario but the people defending against the attack are bad??? I guess it’s ok to have a church full of dead people vs what happened.

Old 12-31-2019, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
It's sad that we live in a time where people in a church become target practice for some guy with a gun. I am glad churches hire security guards now and that some members lawfully carry guns to church so when someone decides to shoot the place up, return fire is guaranteed. Mind you, it is not a cause for celebration, but it's much better outcome than the other possibility.

My Bible never taught me that turn the other cheek would mean to sit there as some nutjob shoots the place up
Thank you Joe!

Old 12-31-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertfchew View Post
Of course they would be happy if 20 or 30 died because then they could screech for gun control for a few more weeks. This was the worst possible outcome for liberals.
Sad but true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies