Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2019, 12:44 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
I am so sorry that a forum member has given you a bad impression of Chabad..

I'm not Jewish, so have a lot of learning to do surrounding this issue. What did a forum member say that was negative about Chabad, or that could have given a bad impressions? I must have missed it.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:50 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"I'll get my entire Chabad group to chip in" - Chabad seems like the new semi-radical outreach program of the right wing (orthodox) wing....evangelistic, IMHO.

I say this as one whose brother attended their weekly dinners for many months before he, who is very right wing himself, bugged out.

" Chabad, also known as Lubavitch, Habad and Chabad-Lubavitch, is an Orthodox Jewish Hasidic movement. Chabad is one of the world's best-known Hasidic movements, particularly for its outreach activities"

In any case, it represents a very tiny portion of the very tiny portion of Jews in the USA. Of course, Orthodox Jews tend to run hard right wing, both here and in Israel.

If there are 6 million Jews in the USA (approx) there are perhaps 25,000 in this group. That would make it well less than 1/2 of 1%.

Getting back to the thread title, these particular "American Jews" don't need to "get the idea" since they got it long ago.

However, I hope that they don't continue to play the victim card as hard.
It's not Jews in general. It's primarily the ADL ( Anti-Defamation League ) and certain small groups who are hitching a ride on their coattails. For the US, the current issues in NYC are in specific poor neighborhoods where Hasidic Jews and Blacks border each other. All one has to do is look the sociological issue of 'white flight'. Certain people in the Black community are using certain methods to make the Jews move out of their neighborhood so that they could move in their place.

https://qz.com/1251974/white-people-...economic-ones/

Old 12-31-2019, 01:00 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,767,735 times
Quote:
I am so sorry that a forum member has given you a bad impression of Chabad. Chabad is neither right-wing, left-wing nor "evangelistic." The religious outreach that Chabad does is strictly for other Jews, and Chabad makes no distinction between Jews, regardless of whatever level of observance we happen to be on. Regarding politics, this is an official statement from Chabad/Lubavitch World Headquarters: "It is a long standing policy that Lubavitch World Headquarters does not endorse political candidates for any political office."

I wish peace for us all as the new year of 2020 approaches.
fyi

What Chabad says and what they do in other states in the US are not the same. In some other states they do differentiate between Jews when it comes to neighborhoods. But that would be a discussion for another thread as it's a bit off topic for this thread (it does have some relevance due to the neighborhood they occupy in Brooklyn).

Old 12-31-2019, 01:06 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
The left are hypocrites and the right are hypocrites. Politics have become pure hypocrisy. Each side is trying to sabotage the other without regards to it ultimately destroying the nation. You can't have a discussion without it being turned to a left vs right paradigm. Then mention race a couple of times and people say that is all you talk about.....lol. No. Left vs right is all that is talked about.

That said, religion is historically combustible when mixed together. I do believe that a rise in the Muslim population from other countries will work against Jews. Jews and Muslims have become like dogs and cats, all exacerbated by the issue of Israel and Palestinians. Christianity is fading and being watered down. You do not even see Orthodox Christians in the way you see orthodox members of other religions....at least I don't. Christian seem to all conform to secularism in their dress and behaviors. Thus, without true believers there is less conflict with the other religions these days.

Jews are in a tough position because of their relative small numbers compared to Christianity and Islam. They have to watch their back. That having been said, how do you protect from the growth of the type of rhetoric that leads people to hate Jews unless someone address why these people are hating Jews? What is the rhetoric that leads to the hatred of Jews? What are Jews being accused of? I honestly don't know. I know that whatever it is it does not justify physical violence against Jews.

The thing about black people in this nation is that we have had stereotypes pounded in us, about ourselves and others. Many black people see black people in the way that white people have seen black people stereotypical. If that is true, and it is, it stands to reason that many black people see Jewish people based upon the stereotypes that were prevalent in the white culture. When you live in this country for a long time, you are culturally conditioned to all its stereotypes. Having only known a few Jewish people personally, what I mostly know of Jewish people comes from stereotypes. Stereotypes often lead to self fulfilling prophecy. I don't subscribe to the stereotypes, though. If I am looking for a lawyers, I am not gong to go try to find a Jewish guy.

If there is a lot of crime in the black community....sometimes other races and religions are going to be victims. When that happens we should not always assume that it is racial or religious motivated. Of course some of it is....but then some of it is not.
Yep Its all american political correctness rearing its ugly head. We all fall short. But from what I read about hate crimes in NY,...over 70% of them are committed by blacks. The majority of hate crimes against Jews in NY? You guessed it. Its blacks. The majority of anti LGBT hate crimes? Yep..its blacks. Matter of fact, the most racist and hateful people I have met in america,....yep..they were black. So u see...we all fall short of the glory...blacks too. We are all in need of saving.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/25/what-t...y-hate-crimes/

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 12-31-2019 at 01:20 PM..

Old 12-31-2019, 01:17 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Yep Its all american political correctness rearing its ugly head. We all fall short. But from what I read about hate crimes in NY,...over 70% of them are committed by blacks. The majority of hate crimes against Jews in NY? You guessed it. Its blacks. The majority of anti LGBT hate crimes? Yep..its blacks. Matter of fact, the most racist and hateful people I have met in america,....yep..they were black. So u see...we all fall short of the glory...blacks too...

https://nypost.com/2019/11/25/what-t...y-hate-crimes/
So, both whites and blacks are violent. Is that the point here? In different ways, of course. But both sides most definitely are.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I'm not Jewish, so have a lot of learning to do surrounding this issue. What did a forum member say that was negative about Chabad, or that could have given a bad impressions? I must have missed it.
Indentured servant said he would bet his money on rachel976 being a gentile white person who villifies blacks hiding under a jewish identity. For that she said she could bet 1 million , get 1 more million from her relatives, and more millions from her members of the chabad to prove that she is jewish . basically she meant social gathering or her network.

Being what I am, I just threw zuckerberg, adelson,soros , david solomon etc in the mix so she could raise a trillion. and she got offended by that and left.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,189,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
So, both whites and blacks are violent. Is that the point here? In different ways, of course. But both sides most definitely are.
Hey Steve.."Lets just make sure that we keep white supremacy and white racism in the forefront of peoples minds". "Nobody else counts Steve". Ok Marty. "Great plan. We should have no issue playing on peoples guilt. Especially the liberal white Americans".

Old 12-31-2019, 04:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
I am so sorry that a forum member has given you a bad impression of Chabad. Chabad is neither right-wing, left-wing nor "evangelistic." The religious outreach that Chabad does is strictly for other Jews, and Chabad makes no distinction between Jews, regardless of whatever level of observance we happen to be on. Regarding politics, this is an official statement from Chabad/Lubavitch World Headquarters: "It is a long standing policy that Lubavitch World Headquarters does not endorse political candidates for any political office."

I wish peace for us all as the new year of 2020 approaches.
No forum member gave me that impression - we have Chabad near us in New England and they go to the Farm Market looking for souls (Jewish souls, I assume). My brother, who is single, attended many of their functions and their spreading of the faith or gathering of the faithful (by any name) is common knowledge.

They are not evangelistic in the sense of knocking on every door and telling people they will go to Hell if they don't repent and become born again. But they, unlike many of the Orthodox sects, do believe in spreading the word to those who are not Orthodox...and they do so by invitation to dinners and such.

Nothing wrong with it. I'm just guessing that, politically, Orthodox Jews are MUCH more likely to vote for Trump or other Republicans. In fact, I am not really guessing since my family knows many (not Chabad, but conservative or orthodox Jews) and they definitely lean in that direction.

"Fifty-four percent of Orthodox Jews say they voted for Trump" - that's 300% or more higher than Jews in general. So it is "a thing" to some extent...Jews voting for a White Nationalist (and let's not argue - Trump and Miller and Bannon and friends are white nationalists).

The fact that "only" 54% went that way is actually a good sign. Many in the next election it will be less than 1/2.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:35 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
It's not Jews in general. It's primarily the ADL ( Anti-Defamation League ) and certain small groups who are hitching a ride on their coattails. For the US, the current issues in NYC are in specific poor neighborhoods where Hasidic Jews and Blacks border each other. All one has to do is look the sociological issue of 'white flight'. Certain people in the Black community are using certain methods to make the Jews move out of their neighborhood so that they could move in their place.

https://qz.com/1251974/white-people-...economic-ones/
I think you are closer to the mark than some. But when one mentally ill guy or some violent thugs cause a problem it's hard to assign it to the total community.

But, still, it's well known that very poor people despise gentrification (for example) but they usually cannot do anything to stop it. So it makes sense that they would, despite the foolishness of it, attempt to hold onto their generally lousy end of the stick. It's sorta their last stand in a way.

If it were Mormon FLDS moving in there in group homes and parading around the streets in their long dresses with multiple wives, I think they'd be in trouble also.

My guess is that all this stuff is statistically insignificant. But there is some blowback in the NYC/Jersey area where strict Jewish sects have taken over townships and now control the government (and steer money away from the public schools, etc.)......it's an age-old conflict. Give most fundamentalist religions a choice and they would pay zero in school taxes and use the money for their own Bible Studies or Yeshivas. But we live in a secular society, so that's not gonna float.

Old 12-31-2019, 04:35 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,526,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post

"Fifty-four percent of Orthodox Jews say they voted for Trump" - that's 300% or more higher than Jews in general. So it is "a thing" to some extent...Jews voting for a White Nationalist (and let's not argue - Trump and Miller and Bannon and friends are white nationalists).
It is understandable that you don't want to defend that statement. Cowardly, but understandable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies