Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 08:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,913,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Please Google birth rate + Finland

They are in crisis mode because their young couples are not having children. They are postponing having kids, having fewer kids, and some are having no kids. Some say its due to high taxation and couples dont feel like they can maintain their current lifestyle and have kids, but that is just opinions I've read. I have no facts on that.

I have also read that Finland is importing Single pregnant women from Russia. I'm serious.
The countries with the most generous social welfare systems typically are among the lowest birth rates, contrary to a perception that people breed for welfare benefits. In 2016, Finland had a birth rate of 1.65 vs 1.80 in the US.

In contrast, Niger comes is at 7.24.

As I understand it, Lakewood Township, NJ now has the highest birth rate in the world. Very common for a 35 year old woman to have 10, 12 or more children.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,913,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
From what I've read, Sweden also has health care vouchers. When Speaker Paul Ryan proposed a similar system for Medicare, there was a cacophony of howling.

Why does the far-left hate Sweden????

That plan called for capping vouchers to buy private insurance at $15,000/ year.

Ryan forgot to check with private insurers who have no interest in being the primary insurer of elderly healthcare risks, which is why we have Medicare.

When the private sector opts out, government tends to step in.

Old 01-19-2020, 08:34 AM

89,507 posts, read 45,198,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The countries with the most generous social welfare systems typically are among the lowest birth rates, contrary to a perception that people breed for welfare benefits.
While overall, that may seem true, it is in fact actually true that in the US, women on public assistance have a 3 times higher birth rate than women (with or without partners) who are self-supporting (source US Census Bureau). That makes sense considering Medicaid pays for 49% of all US births, annually, and the US poverty rate is only 12.3%.

Quote:
In 2016, Finland had a birth rate of 1.65 vs 1.80 in the US.

In contrast, Niger comes is at 7.24.

As I understand it, Lakewood Township, NJ now has the highest birth rate in the world. Very common for a 35 year old woman to have 10, 12 or more children.
How many of those women are on public assistance? Lakewood Township has a 30.1% poverty rate. MUCH higher than the US poverty rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies